GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Headlight failure

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Headlight failure  Empty
PostSubject: Headlight failure    Headlight failure  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:11 pm

As I continue with the customisation of my GRiSO I'm installing indicator lights in the new instrument panel.
I'm running from the sources (oil pressure indicator, neutral indicator, etc ) rather than from the wiring loom.

I took the headlight assembly out to source the high beam indicator.
I was surprised at the skinny wires feeding the headlight, way under anything I've come across before.
On turning on the key there were no headlights, parker and tailights working and headlight flash from the switch OK.
Then searched for a headlight relay, as far as I can see no such animal.

I like to upgrade headlight wiring as a matter of course anyway.
I find the mode, trip 1, trip 2 switch where normally there would be, off, parkers, headlight, annoying.

My solution is to buy a new switch assembly which will allow me to turn the headlights or parkers on or off as I choose.
I'll run heavy duty cable to two relays (main beam and Dip) which I'm hoping to fit inside the headlight shell, if there's room
and heavier cables from them to a ceramic headlight connection.

The system will be battery - heavy duty cable - 30amp circuit breaker - relays - headlight.
Relays controlled by dip / main switch. Off - parkers - headlights on, from the approriate switch.

I will retain the, mode, trip1, trip 2 switch and the other switch to access the original electronics out of the way under the new instrument panel.
This is the new switch.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Headlight failure  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight failure    Headlight failure  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:53 pm

I have found the light wiring to be perfectly adequate. There is a light relay, which is switched from the instrument cluster.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Headlight failure  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight failure    Headlight failure  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Also it's normal for the headlight to be off until the engine is running.
Back to top Go down
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Headlight failure  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight failure    Headlight failure  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:29 pm

I have the manual and wiring diagram but neither indicate that there is a relay or how to identify it. Can you explain how to identify it ?
Since I won't be starting the bike until I've installed the roller conversion I can't tell if the headlights work once the engine is running at the moment.
Again from the wiring digram I could not identify which wire was the high beam which is what I was after to run the indicator light in the new instrument panel.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Headlight failure  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight failure    Headlight failure  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:54 pm

In the diagrams it is item # 6.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Evans
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Evans

Headlight failure  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight failure    Headlight failure  Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Headlight failure  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Headlight failure    Headlight failure  Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Headlight failure
Page 1 of 1