GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tappet Cover Oil Weep

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

Tappet Cover Oil Weep Empty
PostSubject: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:14 am

My 2001 1100 has an oil weep around the tappet cover, just bad enough to spoil the look of the first couple of fins.
I have a set of gaskets, what's the best put them on dry or some sort of cement on one side?
Thanks
Roy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:04 am

When you say new gaskets are they the original fibre type or the Valpolini ones? If they're the stock ones they're useless and will leak again.

Flick me your address in a PM and I'll post you a couple of the Valpolini ones. No leaks, last for ever. Least I can do with all the assistance you give.

bjor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:46 pm

That's very generous of you Pete
You do realize that I'm in Canada, not just across the Tasman
The ones I have are the grey Part No 976139 from Piaggio Group
Otherwise you could just tell me what to order and I will go on-line and find it
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:15 am

A small parcel sitting in my post box today, sure enough it was the gaskets from Pete
15 weeks, has to be a record.
Thankyou Pete
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:51 am

Fifteen weeks? What was it Orca sea mail followed by Special Moose Delivery! Even with Covid that has to be some sort of a record! Laughing

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:47 am

Pete,

Just a reminder please, what year models are affected by this gasket issue?
Does it include the later engines that came from the factory with roller tappets.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:20 am

Worry not Mark. The issue of failing rocker cover gaskets was confined to the earlier, two valve, motors.

Why, after decades of no problems at all and seemingly no change to the mating area design between head and rocker cover, the gaskets started getting squeezed out and failing I have no idea? It only seemed to start with the CARC bikes and as a rule tends to occur more often on models with the 'Rounder' profile rocker covers, (Breva, Bellagio, Norge.) although as proven by Roy's bike it's not exclusive to them.

The answer though is very simple. Just get Valpolini gaskets. These won't rip or get squeezed out and last pretty much forever. End of problem.
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:55 pm

I guess it is Valpolini-time for me as well. Today's view:  Crying or Very sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:49 am

Hi All,
I think i'm using the original gaskets from guzzi (has original stamped on the paperwork).
I haven't had any failures, i lube both sides of the gasket prior to fitting, hand tighten and then torque with torque wrench in standard cross hatch pattern.

LOL....i wait for the leak.
Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:52 am

Apologies, also found a supply for the big carc diff seal, original here in NZ is ridiculous.
I can't remember if it was $200 or $400 but i found an option for $40.

It is okay so far and i'm keeping a close eye on it.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:39 am

As long as the bevelbox seal, (It's a single track vehicle there is nothing in the rear drive to 'Differentiate') is Viton it will probably be fine. If you've used a Nitrile seal it will fail. Yes the cost from Guzzi is absurd but it does need to be a Viton seal. Was it brown? Or black?

The original gaskets are terribly failure prone. The Valpolini gaskets may cost more initially but are pretty much infinitely reusable. No brainer really.

fruk likes this post

Back to top Go down
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:40 am

diff...eerr, bad habit, yes bevel box seal is viton & also double lip.
If i recall i got it from General Equipment in NZ.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:47 pm

Good-o. You should be sweet then. I'd still get a pair of Valpollini gaskets because you'll need them soon enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tappet Cover Oil Weep   Tappet Cover Oil Weep Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tappet Cover Oil Weep
Page 1 of 1