GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Clutch lever replacement issue!

Go down 
+8
tocino
Birch
Steak
mark111
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
beetle
Canyon Carver
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

Clutch lever replacement issue! Empty
PostSubject: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Ok, I bought some Pazzo levers and installed the brake side with no problem, but the clutch side requires that I remove the bushing and actuation pin from the stock lever and use them in the new lever. The pin does not want to unthread from the bushing. I gave up trying to remove it and reinstalled the original lever.
Do you know a trick to unthreading the pin? Perhaps they used adhesive or strong Locktite on the threads.
Where can I order a new bushing and pin in case I wind up breaking the parts?
Happy 4th!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:46 pm

IIRC, isn't there a teeny weeny grub screw holding it on?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:54 pm

beetle wrote:
IIRC, isn't there a teeny weeny grub screw holding it on?

Humm, I better take a closer look! Off to a BBQ now, look later.
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Yes, there is a miniscule grub screw in the bottom of the barrel that locks the actuator. They also nowadays seem to use Loctite as well.

Loosen the grub screw, this may require heat, and then wind out the plunger, which may require more heat. It's probably worth running a tap and die over/through the threads before reassembly into the new lever. If you use Loctite use a tiny bit of 243, not that red shit!

Pete
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:05 pm

OK Got it out and into the new Pazzo lever! Thanks. I gouged up the little pin, but it seems ok. I will be looking for a new pin. The bike runs like a champ and I'm enjoying my new risers and more relaxed, upright riding position.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Good luck with a new pin - as far as I am aware, it only comes as part of the Brembo lever. I screwed mine (irreparably) and had to turn down a new pin on the lathe. Everything else was re-usable.
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:43 am

Not cheap but they are available.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mark
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Canyon Carver & Mark,

OK I was wrong. $35 bucks is a steal, especially when you consider a new Brembo clutch lever is way over $200 here in Oz
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:52 pm

mark111 wrote:
Not cheap but they are available.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mark

Cool. Are you certain it will fit the newer GRiSO/Brembo? 2012 year as well as what they say it fits?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:56 pm

GRiSO levers have not changed since the model was introduced in 2006.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:36 pm

I just ordered one! Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:00 pm

That little grub screw is a bastard!! Heat the screw? I'll give it a go!
Back to top Go down
http://jasonedwardphoto.com
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Make sure you have the right key - this one is metric - avoid ball ends - they screw your screw. Grind it off (the ball end) if you have to.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 pm

Just spoke to them today to confirm my order. Seems they make these themselves, so it's not made by Brembo. That explains why it's no black like my stick part. They assured me it will fit though.
I have good allen keys for working on guitars and such.
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:33 am

I too have a good 1.5mm. It seats in the grub screw, but I can't get enough torque to loosen. If that thing is glued too, well, crap.

I will try more heat (just using a lighter) and see where it gets me.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:46 am

Birch wrote:
I will try more heat (just using a lighter) and see where it gets me.

Might I suggest a hair drier or heat gun rather than open flame?
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am

I use a butane micro torch to bust mine loose.  Certainly a BIC/cigarette lighter will do no harm, it might take a little while to loosen the loctite though. If your hair dryer can break up loctite, I wouldn't let anyone use it to dry their hair...

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Once I realized there was an Allen set screw, I had no problem breaking it loose, with a long (3") handled wrench. No heat required.
Back to top Go down
Birch
Grignapoco
Grignapoco

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:54 pm

No joy here. Did not heat enough and stripped it.

So AF1 gets my $35 and ordered up my Rizoma LED indicators too.
Back to top Go down
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Sorry to hear that Birch. I guess I was just lucky breaking it free with no heat. Remember though I gouged mine up trying to unscrew it before I found out about the dinky set screw, so that might have loosend the lock-tight bond. I'm getting the new AF1 pin as a backup.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Steak wrote:
 If your hair dryer can break up loctite, I wouldn't let anyone use it to dry their hair...

Then it would be called a heat gun Son.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Partnumber please   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 am

Canyon Carver wrote:
Ok, I bought some Pazzo levers and installed the brake side with no problem, but the clutch side requires that I remove the bushing and actuation pin from the stock lever and use them in the new lever. The pin does not want to unthread from the bushing. I gave up trying to remove it and reinstalled the original lever.
Do you know a trick to unthreading the pin? Perhaps they used adhesive or strong Locktite on the threads.
Where can I order a new bushing and pin in case I wind up breaking the parts?
Happy 4th!

I have not seen any aftermarket levers for the GRiSO, what bike were the levers intended for? Or even better, do you have a part number?

Ron
Back to top Go down
pauldaytona
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
pauldaytona

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:10 am

levers are brembo sizing, there exist a few different versions
Back to top Go down
http://www.fastguzzi.nl
Canyon Carver
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
Canyon Carver

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:06 am

Hi Ron. There a few companies making adjustable replacement stylish levers. I bought Pazzo that were $150. in Go to amazon.com or e-bay and do a search for GRiSO clutch levers. There are levers that range in price from $50. to $200.+
NOTE; you will have to use a bushing and actuating pin from your old Brembo levers. There is a discussion on our ghetto forum about removal of the bushing/pin.
Back to top Go down
Mr Griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Mr Griso

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:04 pm

I found them!

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever replacement issue!   Clutch lever replacement issue! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Clutch lever replacement issue!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next