GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Strong Gas Smell

Go down 
+3
beetle
Pete Roper
Azdave
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Azdave
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Azdave

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:39 pm

After a ride it smells like I spilled gas in the garage. I cannot locate any leaks. Any ideas. It has been hot here but I am riding early when it is like 90 degrees.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:10 am

Has the bike still got its charcoal canister attached? If it does then it's probably got an issue with the vent valve in the breather line to the canister. If the canister has been removed it will simply be venting to atmosphere most likely.

The canister, (From memory, we don't have it on Oz bikes.) takes a line from the tank, through the valve, to the canister and then has a line that goes from the canister and divides with one hose going to each of the inlet manifolds through the balance ports. The canister also has a vent to atmosphere.

Fumes vented from the tank are supposed to be absorbed by the charcoal when the bike is parked and then the air drawn through the canister when the engine is running is meant to draw the hydrocarbons out for combustion through the balance ports purging the canister for the next time the machine is parked.

While none of the bikes I've owned in the US ever had any problems with the system reports are legion of hard starting in hot weather, (Due to the excess fuel vapours being drawn from the canister making starting difficult due to an overly rich condition.) and the vent valve making amusing farting noises when parked!

Many people, especially in hot climates, remove the system entirely meaning that the tank simply vents to atmosphere and yes, there will be an odour in hot weather. This will cure any hard starting issues but not the smell, may not be legal in some jurisdictions and does increase hydrocarbon pollution. On that I tend to fall into the camp of leave it alone if it's not causing any problems but piss it off if it does!

Azdave likes this post

Back to top Go down
Azdave
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Azdave

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:30 am

It is completely stock except for Arrow exhaust. Should I remove the charcoal canister? If so how do I do that
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 am

It might be easiest, it probably won't help with the smell as fumes will still be expelled but in your hot environment it might remove the likelihood of starting problems.

First up though I'd just check that the breather valve is functioning and hasn't spat its hose off.

Do you get a strong 'Whoosh' of air/fumes out of the tank when you open the filler when the tank is part full?
Back to top Go down
Azdave
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Azdave

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:43 am

No wish of odor. After I shut bike off the smell takes over the garage
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:02 am

Any chance it was remapped by the previous owner?

What sort of mileage you getting?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Pete and Beetle,
I’ve done the canisterectomy on mine and removed the blue and orange valve over a year ago and have no smells of gas. I’ve lived in Houston and now in South Georgia.
No noises now after a ride now like I used to. Using Beetles map for the stock pipe.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Which is good. We don't have the system here and I can't say I've ever noticed a smell but my bikes are parked in a carport or very drafty tin garage which, even though it gets hellishly hot, is so well ventilated I can't ever see fumes building up. In the US all my bikes were fine, although I modified the gas cap gasket on the Mana. The GRiSO never gave me an issue and the Cali 14 used to groan and fart a bit in hot conditions but never failed to start or misbehaved in any way.

If Dave wants instructions on removal I'm pretty sure they're up here already? If not I can run through it again easily enough.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:58 pm

I used the search function for "canisterectomy" and found what I needed. My hard start issue went away. Farting and groaning seemed to move from the bike to the rider.... Shocked
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:47 am

...and the gas smell?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Street wrote:
...and the gas smell?

I doesn't bother me, but my wife runs screaming.......
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:09 am

Thumbs Up

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
tsheep2
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
tsheep2

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:20 am

I too have had a fuel smell after shut down. In my case it was quick release fuel connector on the underside of the take, i don't think it's sealing properly, judging by the build up of road dust around the bottom of the tank insert.
When re attaching the fuel quick release i used cable tie as a ratchet to firmly connect the quick release, this seems to have done the job, zip ties removed after fitting.
monitoring the situation, have contemplated using a japanese style clip instead of quick release system. Anyone tried that with success?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Strong Gas Smell Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strong Gas Smell   Strong Gas Smell Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Strong Gas Smell
Page 1 of 1