GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(

Go down 
+12
Kernow
ratso88
BowraBoy
stdunkel
Oz1200Guzzi
RedMogAndy
odder
Street
Pete Roper
Steak
beetle
GuZeee
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Empty
PostSubject: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:01 pm

I’m not seriously injured. 100% other riders fault. I’m not going to go into accident details now but had to share the sad story of the bike I put together by my own hands. It’s not as bad as I though, hopefully easily fixed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 pm

Shitty McShit Shit!

GRiSO’s can be fixed. Ask me how I know.

I’m glad you’re mostly OK. Details when you can.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

GuZeee likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:30 pm

I’m in the south San Francisco Bay Area. Anyone know a competent GRiSO shop that can fix it right?
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:54 pm

Garlic was involved.  Just saying...

FYI falling over on the right side, is always the expensive side. Exhaust systems are cheap in comparison.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:05 pm

Steak wrote:
Garlic was involved.  Just saying...

FYI falling over on the right side, is always the expensive side. Exhaust systems are cheap in comparison.

Yup, I live in Gilroy and am currently enjoying the smell of garlic (worst of fire smoke has passed) and enjoying a scotch in my hot tub to ease my crash injuries.

I had expected a write-off but after seeing the right side, it doesn’t look too bad! But I’m getting it checked out to make sure nothing is missed.

Groovitz and ssmith996 like this post

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Bet of wishes and luck to you GuZee. Hopefully all pains will be minimal.

I've got great memories of your locale, passed through many times en route to Los Gatos from Santa Barbara.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

GuZeee likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Bugger. With a hole in the rocker cover you're going to have to drop the sump and do a very thorough flush out of the head, oil return galleries and all the crevices gravel might of got into. Best bet probably to pull the head.

Details when you're ready. Sounds like a king sized stuff up.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Ah SHIT! So sorry to hear about this GuZeee. Of course we all want to hear the whole story, when you're feeling up to sharing. Be well, heal up quickly - you and the GRiSO.

Pete (Street)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

GuZeee likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Man that sucks, good to hear you are in one piece! Heal up.

If rebuilding perhaps a spare bevel (carc) is in the works. along with the porkchop.

Don't know any reputable Guzzi mech's Gilroy or South Bay. Dealers are pretty thin too. Last time a Munroe in SF they seamed more interested in Ducati and Triumph hipster models.

Last edited by odder on Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

GuZeee likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Bugger. With a hole in the rocker cover you're going to have to drop the sump and do a very thorough flush out of the head, oil return galleries and all the crevices gravel might of got into. Best bet probably to pull the head.

Details when you're ready. Sounds like a king sized stuff up.

Ooh I never thought of that. Yeah that makes sense, my first thought was just replace the cover but of course it’s a much bigger deal Sad

Thanks for bringing that up in case the shop doesn’t think of it.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 pm

So, here is what happened: I was traveling on a route I take almost every weekend, up a fantastic fun route that usually has very little traffic so I can have fun. Nearing the end of a very twisty bit, I found myself behind a vehicle, which is the end to fun but in this case turned out to be very fortunate.

The vehicle was an SUV or Minivan going fairly slowly (maybe 30 or less) because the road was twisty and just entering a fairly tight left-hander (in USA so we are in the right lane). I am behind the vehicle with a good amount of space -- not crowding it.

As we start going around the left bend, a sport bike comes FLYING from the opposite direction, completely missed the curve (a right for him), and heads straight for the SUV. The SUV veers to the right to try to avoid him, so he slams HARD into the front left of the vehicle. I saw it happen and thought oh shit and hit the brakes. I would have been able to stop in time, but I was taken down HARD by a piece of his bike -- I'm pretty sure it was the front wheel. (His front wheel detached immediately and was found near my bike while his bike slide much further down the road behind me in his direction of travel.)

I end up getting dumped down HARD to the right of the road, ending up in a ditch, which you can see in the photo. I must have landed on something sharp because I got a cut to my hand even through my gloves (which are obviously not great at palm protection) that needed three stitches. Fortunately I had my heavy Dianese jacket, Tourmaster Boots, Shoei full-face helmet, and kevlar-reinforced riding jeans.

It could have been a LOT worse: I ended up a few feet from taughtly-stretched barbed wire that could have done serious damage, and trees behind me and in front of me that might not have been as forgiving as the soft(-ish) dirt. The fact that I got some minor abrasions even through the super-tough Dianese leather tells me I would have been in a lot of hurt without it. Same goes for the riding jeans. I got stitches and X-rays: nothing broken but I have bumps and bruises, sore hip, shoulder and neck. And a swollen left hand that makes it hard to do anything.

The guy on the other bike was wearing sneakers, shorts, and a short-sleeved T-shirt. He came out OK, which is unbelievable when you see what his bike looked like. It was completely blown apart to pieces.

The cops told me he had no insurance. Great. Now I have to figure out what to do between my insurance and wondering if I should get a lawyer.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:57 pm

You're not at fault. Surely the thing would be to just dump it in the hands of your insurance and let them chase the fuckwit?

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
RedMogAndy
Carlotto
Carlotto
RedMogAndy

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:21 am

Hmmm, the eeejit that wrote off my V11 last year had no licence, insurance, gear or ability for riding bikes either. He did lose his case in court and got a good case of gravel rash so it wasn't all bad! I let the cops & insurance sort it all out - there seemed no point getting a lawyer involved
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:20 pm

I’m thinking if the insurance company writes it off, I might get another used one and just move over my seat, exhaust, fender, LED headlight, mirror, etc. and make Sonia 2.0 (Sonia is/was her name). Has anyone done anything like this? I wonder if insurance cares that I strip the aftermarket parts once it’s written off?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:23 pm

Probably need to establish all that before it's written off. Also look at buying the wreck and part it out. Though with a bit of work it could be made road ready again. All depends on jurisdictions

Ron (Waterbottle) purchased a statutory write off and this is now his track bike. The Possibilities!

GuZeee likes this post

Back to top Go down
stdunkel
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
stdunkel

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:58 am

Hi GuZee,
terrible to see and read but glad you got away with some "rainbow" bruises. If the insurance writes it off I would definitely buy it for the scrap value which should be low. In my case it would have been the value of tyres and rims but the assessor didn't tell. Depending on where your bike went and if it is not too late, you may be able to swap the parts for the originals. I was lucky and able to do that at the repair shop before the assessor came. All the best and a speedy recovery, Stefan
Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Sorry to hear this mate. Hope you and your girl are fixed in double quick time.
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:37 pm

To fix it 100% would mean replacing the “transmission” (actually the shaft drive cover at end of swingarm) and the bike would be a write off. But there are just a few tiny scratches there that can be easily fixed up, so insurance paid me $500 to live with that and I can get paid for everything else and the bike isn’t written off. So I’ll take the money and fix her up! With some cool improvements I have planned Smile

Bill Hagan and freewaystreak like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:55 pm

Sounds good.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Excellent!

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone for your support here, it's good to be able to talk about the bike with people that understand Smile

I ordered the parts from AF1Racing which is my go-to place for parts: I find them to be excellent for anything I need. Unfortunately I just got an email saying that the valve cover -- the most important and only VITAL part -- is back-ordered and has to be ordered from Italy. So who knows how long it will be before I'm back on the road again Sad

(Counting the minutes until a "Duct-tape" joke... )
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:03 pm

I think we've got one in stock, either new or refurbished by Michael. I sent a CARC over to a bloke who Guzzi Steve is working on his bike and it took TWO DAYS to get from Canberra to Georgia! Shocked I dunno how they sent it? Rocket Mail I'd guess!
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
I think we've got one in stock, either new or refurbished by Michael. I sent a CARC over to a bloke who Guzzi Steve is working on his bike and it took TWO DAYS to get from Canberra to Georgia! Shocked I dunno how they sent it? Rocket Mail I'd guess!

Oh wow, could I buy one from you Pete? I can cancel the order on the one I've got. It's a 2009, VIN ZGULSU0019M112095. I need the cover and the black plastic part too (although that is of course less vital). Right-hand side.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Pretty sure we have both, I'll check this morning. Anything else you might need?

Oh, and new or second hand?
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:32 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Pretty sure we have both, I'll check this morning. Anything else you might need?

Oh, and new or second hand?

Awesome! I would prefer new if possible, might as well take the opportunity to spruce the old girl up a bit. And I have insurance money burning a hole in my pocket.

I could also use an oil cooler cover if you have one.

Once you confirm that it's available (and let me know the price) I'll cancel the order with AF1.

Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(   Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :( Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Idiot rider hits car, me and my GRiSO go down :(
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next