GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Maddening Paddock Stand Problem

Go down 
+8
Oz1200Guzzi
PJPR01
bahamazoo
paulbrice
Dilliw
rick pope
2highlander
Bill Hagan
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Empty
PostSubject: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:43 pm

I have an aggravating issue with my GRiSO.  scratch

In fairness, it’s not really with the GRiSO, but with a Hepco-Becker paddock stand.

Bought from member c.2012.  It’s been a PITA from the beginning.   Sad

NOT blaming seller.  Can't even recall who it was or if he is still with us.  I have no doubt that it fit his GRiSO, but it never has mine.

I had to have a welding shop make the stand wider by “splitting” it and adding lengths of bar.

Then — and this is the embarrassing part — I only recently discovered that the stand’s lower cross member engages the exhaust system and thus that supports the GRiSO on the left side rather than the prong of the stand!  Doh.   Embarassed

The spool used for that on the right side was damaged in a crash in 2013, but it still worked.  But I decided a month or so ago that I’d solve both the cosmetic and support problems at once.

It seemed to me that if I had two new, slightly thicker support spools machined and also built up the H-B stand prongs a bit, that would lift the GRiSO and keep the exhaust system free of the stand.

I was wrong in either theory or execution … or both.

BTW, way more embarrassing than not seeing the issue for some years is what I have paid to fix this and still be back at the starting gate!   Rolling Eyes  

Here are some pix of that matter that may help you understand the problem.  I am also hoping that someone can point out how to remedy this.

H-B Paddock Stand Pix

Remember that I am a fragile snowflake, so keep the mockery as gentle as possible.   Very Happy

Grazie mille … and Merry Tenth Day of Christmas!

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:36 pm

I am not mocking..is that not a factory service stand? I am uncertain as to whether Hepco & Becker make such things. Becker-Technik do, but it is an entirely different animal.

Please forgive humble self, if I am off the mark.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
2highlander
Biondino
Biondino
2highlander

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:12 am

This is the factory stand. I have both the Becker and the factory stand. Attaching them to the bike always is a fiddling procedure but at the end of the day they fit perfect.

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:55 am

I also have that stand, and agree, it's cumbersome to use, but works.

Bill, it appears yours might have been altered by removing material from the "fork" where it engages the spool , where you added the weld. This might be the cause of all the problems. Mine is 12" from the bottom of said fork to the center of the wheel.

Mine doesn't raise the bike enough to spin the rear wheel, making some tasks difficult. I slip a thin piece of wood (1/4") under the stand before lifting the bike. Slightly taller wheels would cure this issue.

Back to top Go down
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:36 am

Bill, are you using the lower point on the left side?

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:56 am

Bill
I have had OEM stand problems & needed some tweaking, but it WAS the right width (41 cm across outside of the 'V's). Your stand looks like OEM one (wheel colours/shape/design all same) ....but maybe they made similar for other models ??

Anyway....mine works OK with spools under footrest (like yours was with damaged spool); but wouldn't work in the rear position your 'new' spools are in photos. Also one of my pink wheels broke so I 'upgraded' it to slightly larger diameter nylon wheels that give a bit more height.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:35 am

Thanks for the responses.

This is becoming "mysteriouser" by the moment. scratch

If all of this is the result of my installing the new spools in the wrong spots, I will deserve mockery!

I don't want to go down to the Moto Grappa even to check, because, if I did install those improperly, I'll want to fix 'em.  And, my (newish) mini-split in the Moto Grappa is broken.  It's throwing off an “outside fan is dead” error code, and, until the HVAC magician comes tomorrow (which usually means "I'll be next week when the part comes in"  Sad ), it's too cold in there just now to do anything.

As I know so many of you are biting your nails for the answer, I'll keep you posted as soon as I figure it out (in a warm shop).   cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:42 pm

Here is original post where I put bobbins in the wrong place Wink ...

[url=[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]Old Stand Thread[/url]

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:09 pm

Dare I suggest it? If this hole has no bottom...Perhaps you should consider the DIY Kiwi_Roy workshop stand.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:02 am

does Kiwi Roys bottom not have a
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:03 am

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:55 am

Was that you in that pic you texted me?

Suspect

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:28 pm

off topic, but you know it.....
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:52 pm

Come on youse blokes - SHARE!

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:52 pm

OK, the mini-split warmed up the Moto Grappa, so I went down and mused on what I might have done to the GRiSO with my NOT H-B (factory) stand.

I really do appreciate all of the education you provided me on this.

Note the spools, now relocated to the lower holes in front of the foot pegs.

The GRiSO is still on the lift, so I have not yet tried the stand with it, but looks promising.

I am less disturbed than perhaps I should be about "shoulder issues" with that bobbin.  This potential problem was addressed at length in Paul Brice's earlier post to which he referred, above.

Seems to me -- aided, of course, by my advanced degrees and Nobel Peace prize in applied physics  Rolling Eyes -- that the forces that the stand's prongs apply to the bobbins do not implicate the shallow shoulder at the bottom of the bobbin.

Thanks again.

As long as I am here, I’ll toss in another mystery, discovered while — hopefully — resolving this one.

So … take a look at this major fastener at its head and foot … if that is what one calls the end of a screw!

It seems, at least to this unwashed observer, to have backed out from where it should be.

Would seem embarrassing to have the engine fall out on the road while riding … or am I making too much of this?  

Grazie mille,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:57 pm

That looks like the mounting point for the rarely seen centre stand - why there is a bolt in there, who knows - maybe to keep the dirt out.

Bill remove this screw and the one on the other side, if fitted. Bike will be lighter and therefor faster. You know I am right!

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:31 pm

There’s a center stand available for the GRiSO? Where might one find this unicorn?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:37 pm

There is not. The engine is universally used on the other CARC models that do have centre stands.

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:56 pm

If you do have a centre stand, it will assuredly inform you of its presence as you start to get serious with corners.

Sometimes the warning will come too late when you start grinding things on the road surface and it might be a bit like that other post where the rev-limiter cuts in at the most inopportune time like alf way around a corner.

Poo might come out!

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 pm

There’s the small problem of the pretzel preventing the centre stand from scraping on a GRiSO.

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:28 pm

There you go, Mark's got it!

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Just following up -- along with extending continuing thanks -- on that (self-inflicted Embarassed) factory stand issue that started this thread.

Sure don't have to worry about the cross member engaging the exhaust now, and note that the rear wheel is well off the ground.

I do need, however, a 2&6 "booster" below side stand to lift the beast.   cheers

1921!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

beetle and Oz1200Guzzi like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:18 pm

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
dennis the menace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
dennis the menace

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:22 pm

i made my own to get both wheels off the ground i needed to replace fork seals and bushes new brake pads after a failed seal spewed oil onto brakes and check rear suspension linkages [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am

In preparation of my changing the shock, I took notice of the bobbin position on my bike. I had installed them in the wrong holes, just as Bill had.

I guess I'm in good company.

paulbrice likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maddening Paddock Stand Problem   Maddening Paddock Stand Problem Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Maddening Paddock Stand Problem
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next