GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

6th line fork height

Go down 
+5
Pete Roper
FreshEgg
Uzidzit
beetle
DungeonMaster
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Uzidzit
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Uzidzit

6th line fork height - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 am

uh,the stainless screws are softer and weaker than what was there...just a fyi they also under go more plastic deformation sooner lower MOE
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:01 am

If I recall my machining days I can get Grade 5 or Grade 8 hardness (SAE)
I was thinking I may not want to step up to 8 unless I was fastening steel.

DM
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Uzidzit wrote:
uh,the stainless screws are softer and weaker than what was there...just a fyi  they also under go more plastic deformation sooner lower MOE

Rolling Eyes  I didn't get mine from Bunnings, I went to a specialty fastener place and told them my woe. They said "these won't" as I handed over a small fortune.

The stock screws on triple clamps and the side plates are as soft as butter and the heads were all deformed from removing them once!

DM I don't want to tell you your business, but some anti seizing compound should be applied and of course, drop your torque by a few Nm.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:38 pm

I was led to believe most marine grade stainless bolts and titanium are classified as Gr8 or above.
Back to top Go down
DungeonMaster
GRiSO
GRiSO
DungeonMaster

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Yes, I was using my precision wrist torqueing meter.
I snugged all the fasteners down and then went back over them again. and again. and again.

DM
Back to top Go down
Tehuelche
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Tehuelche

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:24 am

ghezzi wrote:
I was led to believe most marine grade stainless bolts and titanium are classified as Gr8 or above.

As a rule of thumb SS is about half the strength of steel but there are a lot of different versions of ss and carbon. The performance differences are notable. Be sure to get 410SS if you go with SS over carbon based materials, it is slightly better than Gr5 but not as strong as Grd 8. Titanium is pretty close to 410. Note that neither of those is going to replace a Grd 8 with the same safety factor. Very importantly, many of the hardware store SS bolts (any 300 series) are roughly equal to a Grd 2 affraid

Tim
Back to top Go down
http://www.solonmfg.com
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:53 pm

Tim speaks wisely, but i would have assumed that these bolts are metric therefore the grading is 8.8 ...10.9....or 12.9  ....... 8.8 being close to  to sae Grd 5 in carbon content..
Be careful replacing fasteners with higher grades than spec , they become springs in the way that they are torqued and will not perform as well with torque designed for a lower grade.
Graded fasteners are so for a reason, going to a higher grade does not guarantee quality as to function by design.
SS fasteners major purpose is for application in the marine or high humidity environments they come in different grades as to the severity of this , and also gain some strength at the same time ..
SS as a rule does not like Aluminum ,it depends on the alum, but bonding can occur so be careful..

If  your stripping out the heads of your fasteners often , then it probably means your hex keys are wore or they are new crap to begin with ..they should fit tight so they apply even torque to the drive.. buy Bondus they are PDG... T handles are the ticket
just saying.....
Cool keener
Back to top Go down
valleydog
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
valleydog

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:31 pm

Mine is on the 7th line now , it gets better as you drop it. I even reduced the preload setting - even better turn in and holds a line much better under roll on in a sweeper .
Might even raise the rear a bit to steeped it a bit more.
Bars are taller Renthal MX High - might have an influence (less body weight on the bars ).
Also dropped the pegs 40mm, it scrapes now and then but I don't mind.
Back to top Go down
valleydog
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
valleydog

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Don't go to stainless - does not stay tight because it does not stretch.
Also it "galls" in ally.
If you must use it put lots of nickel paste.
You only have to nip them anyway , guys tighten them so damn tight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6th line fork height   6th line fork height - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

6th line fork height
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2