GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?

Go down 
+4
moto
lcjohnny
Pete Roper
motor-timothy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Empty
PostSubject: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:31 am

I replaced my dash with a new one due to a mysterious power drain from inside the dash. This fixed the drain however my mileage has now been reset to 0km (well, 45km by now). Is there any way to update the mileage displayed by the dash to the correct real one?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:34 am

Not that I know of.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:36 am

Thanks Pete, I suspected as much.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:45 am

elctric drill powered roller on the back wheel?
...but is the wear on the Carc worth it?

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:04 pm

Yes, I suppose. There is an electromagnetic speed sensor suspended just above the rear wheel hub, on the right: the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) in the wiring diagram.

I recall determining how many pulses at this sensor correspond to one mile, when I was fitting my electronic cruise control, but I've now forgotten the number.

In any event, you could unbolt the sensor and place it near a source of electromagnetic pulses, I believe. Probably sine wave instead of square wave, if you have a choice. Start pulsing and let the miles build up. Details to be worked out by someone else! Now you would have to have the ignition on, at least. This could mean overheating the coils unless you disconnect them. There could be some other complication I'm not thinking of.

The government tries hard to keep us from setting odometers backwards, but this is a completely different matter.

Moto
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:59 pm

Write the correct mileage of the old unit in the back of your owners' manual. Have an adult beverage and forget about it.

beetle likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:23 pm

In theory, it's possible, as there is a dash connector (at least on my Sport). However, despite asking, no one has cracked the coding nor shown any interest in doing so.

Someone who repairs electronic dashes "might" be able to rewrite to PROM within (Programmable Read Only Memory). This data is stored here.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:50 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
In theory, it's possible, as there is a dash connector (at least on my Sport). However, despite asking, no one has cracked the coding nor shown any interest in doing so.

Someone who repairs electronic dashes "might" be able to rewrite to PROM within (Programmable Read Only Memory). This data is stored here.

A tech wizard called techrat-something-or-other went deeply into a closely-related Aprilia dash. He determined he could reset the dash to all zeroes, but he could not crack the encoding of the non-zero mileages, which includes some sort of check-sum. (I described this in detail on a WG posting some years ago.)

I do recall someone saying that Karmo (sp.??) claimed to be able to reset mileages to arbitrary values, but I didn't see any evidence of that having been done.

The method I described above should work, without much trouble. But I also recommend Rick Pope's method instead.

Moto
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:56 am

rick pope wrote:
Write the correct mileage of the old unit in the back of your owners' manual.  Have an adult beverage and forget about it.

I will follow this wise advice cheers
Back to top Go down
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 pm

Why not just create a small aluminium tag with +XXX,XXX
You can often find an engraving booth at a mall who can do that for you otherwise a set of number stamps.

A few years back I changed a VII Sport from Veglia to Speedhut, they programmed the new Speedo to match the original.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:42 am

When I bought my Sport that had a warranty replaced speedo and I have a photo of the speedo with mileage in the service book.

I just need to remember to add on 2,000 miles

So may be powering it up and photographing it will work fine?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?   Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Any way to update the mileage displayed by a new dash?
Page 1 of 1