GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil

Go down 
+7
rick pope
Oz1200Guzzi
Clancy
bahamazoo
motor-timothy
Pete Roper
Erivera
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Erivera
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Erivera

Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Empty
PostSubject: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:28 pm

I was so excited to do the first maintenance on my 2013 GRiSO. I got all my equipment from AF1racing. There are 2 different GRiSO models from 2009-2013 and 2014-2017. The oil filter that I ordered based on the 2013 model year is shorter and did not fit so I ended up not changing the oil filter. Had some difficulty putting oil in because the funnel that I have did not fit. Next thing was to change the fluids in transmission and gear box. That was easier though I had some funnel issues again. Good thing the oil container had a longer spout which made it a bit easier. After, I realized that I put the gearbox oil that is Repsol 85w90 to the transmission and the transmission oil which is LiquidMoly 80w90 to the gear box oil!
Question.
1. Will the mixup in the oil densities be a big issue? Can I still use the bike or should I just park it and drain both the transmission and gearbox oil and refill with appropriate oil densities?
2. The oil dipstick is very hard to read? There are 2 notches near the end and I take it that is the min and max. When checking the oil level, does it have to be vertical or can it be on the side stand?

Thanks a lot.

Ernesto
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:20 pm

Mixing the oil will cause no problems. I've been using a 75/90 full synth in both gearbox and bevelbox since forever. The different specs are more a matter of engineering exactitude WRT purpose but essentially any gearbox yak fat will do the job. Next time, in 10,000km, just do it right and don't worry.

Don't worry about the filter. The change intervals are super conservative. There is very little to catch in a Guzzi motor so the change interval is ridiculously low. Do make sure when you change it that the old filter gasket isn't stuck to the mounting flange in the case. This quite often happens and if you install a new filter it will gush oil everywhere! Make sure you tighten it with a cap wrench too, not your fingers or it will fall off in service and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Erivera likes this post

Back to top Go down
Erivera
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Erivera

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:06 pm

Thanks a lot Pete. Whew. That makes me feel better! Plan to change the air filter, spark plugs and also adjust the valves. I will be following the instructions in the forum for the valve checks.

Thanks again.

Ernesto
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:32 am

Erivera wrote:

2. The oil dipstick is very hard to read? There are 2 notches near the end and I take it that is the min and max.  When checking the oil level, does it have to be vertical or can it be on the side stand?

Thanks a lot.

Ernesto

Bike vertical (I put a block of wood under the side stand) and don't screw the dipstick back in but let it rest on the top of the thread hole. From this forum (Pete Roper specifically) I've learned that the oil should be in between the min and max notch, don't fill it up to the max as is common with many other engines because that will cause oil to get into the throttle body and stepper motor.
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Guzzi has developed a 'self levelling' feature for oil in their engines.
Each engine is unique.

As Moto T does, I have a 1 1/2" block of wood under the stand, standard parking in my garage.
bike doesn't need to be vertical -coz then you'll likely push it all the way over Shocked-   just make it the same attitude every time.

same with screwing the dip stick in. do it or don't do it, just do it the same way each time

find a couple of feet of clear hose to fit over the end of a funnel. I fabbed up a hook so that the funnel sits between the clutch lever and the grip, hose extends down into the fill point. A little bit at a time works well. Follow the bouncing ball in the Tech Archives, you can't go rong  Very Happy

oh, and don't forget to fill the oil filter with oil before fitting!
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 am

bahamazoo wrote:
Each engine is unique.

Pat is right.
My oil level's happy place is closer to the Min mark.
It's taken me some time to accept this and stop throwing another dollop in.
In the garage I use a front wheel chock to keep the bike vertical.
On the road it's a straddling, leaning over to the left, balancing act.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:22 am

Clancy wrote:
bahamazoo wrote:
Each engine is unique.

Pat is right.

And you don't crash, Craig?
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Clancy wrote:
bahamazoo wrote:
Each engine is unique.

Pat is right.

And you don't crash, Craig?
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not yet......
Back to top Go down
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:37 pm

holy crappers.... on th innernet an everthin..."Pat is right."

wait till I show Beautiful Wife Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:45 pm

My bike seems to be happy with the level in the middle of the hash marks when the bike is vertical, cap not screwed in. This just happens to make the level at the "full" line when on the side stand, also cap not screwed in.
Back to top Go down
kubbie
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
kubbie

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 am

Checking the oil level is one of the ways my Triumphs do it better. They use a dipstick. They are set in the hole. Just like the GRiSO. BUT the dipstick is on the other side and no exhaust in the way. I would wipe off the dipstick, place it in the correct position, stand bike up then set right back on the kickstand. Boom! Oil level checked. Or just put them on the centerstand.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:42 pm

kubbie wrote:
Or just put them on the centerstand.

Centrestand?

Does not compute in GRiSO

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:57 pm

bahamazoo wrote:
holy crappers.... on th innernet an everthin..."Pat is right."

wait till I show Beautiful Wife Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

You MAY SOMETIMES be right Pat, but we won't let on you are - not to your face anyway.

It's an Aussie thing, innit?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:08 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:

"innit?"  <- That ain't.

Razz

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Camphill
Carlotto
Carlotto
Camphill

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:13 pm

I saw a 8v GRiSO in Ireland last month with a centre stand ....Botch job ...looked like shite No
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:20 pm

beetle wrote:

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:

"innit?"  <- That ain't.

Razz

No it's not Mark - busted taking the piss again...

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:12 am

Did my yearly oil change all around. On the motor, I finally wised up at the advice of someone here, and whittled smooth one side of the dip stick. Now I don’t have to try and read it 5 times. It only took me about 7 years with this bike to catch on......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil   Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Accidental Mix-up Transmission and Gearbox oil
Page 1 of 1