GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What’s worse than chrome?

Go down 
+5
SMTCapeCod
paulbrice
motor-timothy
Oz1200Guzzi
LBC Tenni
9 posters
AuthorMessage
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

What’s worse than chrome? Empty
PostSubject: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:11 pm

Plastic chrome. It seems leprechauns have turned these bits Tenni green to match the paint. Copper in the plastic chrome? I curse the bean counters who sullied GRiSO with such ignoble material. Like Mick said, paint it black. Or perhaps those nifty Rizoma winkers are calling.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm

Maybe more frequent cleaning/polishing, dare I say?

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:03 pm

Once a month or two is all I can bear. Trouble is I’m close to the ocean and the salt air is murder even when it’s parked in a garage. Well, that and the crappy bean counter bits.

Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:16 am

The guzzi symbol isn't plastic is it? Anyhow a good moment to replace those hideous indicators with some stylish LED's Smile

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:30 am

Interesting comments about the green because I just happened to clean mine yesterday & noticed same problem - especially on the 'chrome' front brake line clamp like yours; and weirdly also on the 'chrome' replacement Rizoma LED indicators.....so don't expect it all goes away with new indicators....also spotted the black on engine cases/torque reaction rod/oil cooler is blistering & peeling in lots of places as well & the LEDPerf headlamp shell ring and headlamp holder are badly rusted .....

BTW I'm not the best at keep bike clean & I do ride it all year incl in salt....My solution is to call it 'patina' because the alternative (painting, polishing, replacing bits) is too painful;)

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm

mine's 2014 w/6K miles from California- the center plate is good but the turn signals have the same degradation. Smoked though they may be....rizoma swap under way.

For posterity- the factory connectors in the dash are the same style as the rears, but are smaller so the Rizoma harness adapter doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:31 pm

the green looks like copper corrosion. I believe copper plating is the first step before chrome plating.
I am guessing the chrome plating is thin or has cracked allowing the copper underneath it to corrode.
The wonderful green petina you are experiencing is most likely the side effect of cost savings
alien
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:25 pm

My "problem" with the fancy/billet/milled/sleek aftermarket signals is their rigidity. I like that the stock winkers have a bit of give to them. I find I hit them a lot with my legs when walking around the bike and sometimes even while mounting/dismounting. Then there is the occasional tip over. The bendy section is nice to have and has saved me the trouble of replacement more than once. Some of those LED units are built so well (Rizoma), I worry that they might bend/twist/break the mounting points on the bike.

For that reason, I tend to stick with the stock jobbers.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:40 pm

Unless there so tiny, you hit other parts of the bike first...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

LBC Tenni likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Rizoma Actions (ones I fitted) are actually fully bendy on the rubber stalk section.....the oem ones 'hardened' over time, cracked and then broke off at the 'no-longer' flexi sections.

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:26 pm

I like the look of those Morimotos. I found your thread on those Mark and just ordered up two pairs. Even better we don’t need no stinking resistors. Viva la Fiesta

beetle likes this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:59 am

I just ordered a pair or morimotos for the rear after reading here. Leaving my front stock as they tuck into my parabellum fairing and anything shorter wouldn’t be seen. I’ll have to ditch my stock connections to wire them up. Why don’t they need resistors? Are they built in?
Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:02 pm

The black cylinders in the leads have the electronics that operate the switching from blinker to running light. There's enough impedance to fool the dash.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:23 am

So Mark, these blinkers will also sort of become running lights? And stay on when not flashing? If I understand you correctly.
Many thanks.
John
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:48 am

They have three wires. If you connect the white LED it will act as a running light. I connected the front ones, but left the rear ones as amber only.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:03 am

Many thanks Mark. Looking good!
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:10 am

well this thread took a turn!
now I'm in a rabbit hole looking at indicator lights and trying to figure out how to afford them.....
have to keep telling myself - just ride as is, if it aint broke, don't fix
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:19 am

Chris,
I bought the morimoto pair on Amazon for $37 plus tax. With a tail tidy it makes the others kind of stick out. I’ve been fine with them for 7 years but lately wanted a change back there.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:21 am

the kellerman bullets seem to be doing it for me right now - but are a little pricey

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What’s worse than chrome?   What’s worse than chrome? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What’s worse than chrome?
Page 1 of 1