GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?

Go down 
+15
CrazyBiker
GuzziSteve
Chris W
evansnows
Omnis
Bulldog9
eeyore
Oz1200Guzzi
motor-timothy
Leone
beetle
lcjohnny
LBC Tenni
Pete Roper
airbornebaby
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:39 am

it's definitely an electrical connector boot
my guess is that boot was removed when whoever put the purple spade connector on in the second picture and didn't put the boot back on the connector. they probably laid it up by the airbox while working on the wiring and it fell into the crack where you found it

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/quote]

lcjohnny and airbornebaby like this post

Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Just a footnote, but a periodic application of 303 Aerospace will greatly enhance the life of the rubber bits (don't forget the boots that slide over the throttle cable adjusters).

Are you replacing the fuel lines while you're in there? Should you choose to use Oetiker clamps, Belmetric stocks genuine ones in all the sizes. I prefer these high pressure clamps for the rubber "short" hose. (If the GRiSO unit is like the Aprilias, the flange fitting will have no barb, and the hose will be prone to popping off. Whatever clamp you use, when properly tightened, you shouldn't be able to twist the rubber hose on the flange fitting with moderate (not gorilla) force). Many use the Gates submersible hose, and any BMW motorcycle dealer should have a length of 8x13 submersible on the shelf pre-bagged (been in my Tuono several years now and still looks great).

airbornebaby likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Don't take it to the dealer who put the trans vent hose on fuel tank. If they haven't done a roller conversion, move along to one that has.

Oil sender is for elderly Guzzi's with a jumper wire to factory harness. Don't know what's in the boot w/violet wire.

Back to top Go down
CrazyBiker
Carlotto
Carlotto
CrazyBiker

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:59 pm

How will you buy a 2016 for double the cost of tappet conversion? 4k? 4k will at most get you a 2009-10
Back to top Go down
airbornebaby
Carlotto
Carlotto
airbornebaby

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 pm

That's great info, I appreciate it. I'll be using all the advice in due time to clean this bike up. Got 2 questions. Apologies if they're pretty basic, I do try and find answers before online. I want to make sure things are done right and I'm learning as I go along. Below is a bigger picture of the wiring.

1. The empty boot is in the upper left. Regarding that purple wire that's exposed. I've looked through manuals and pictures to get an idea what it should look like, they're covered differently. Doesn't seem like I can just throw that boot on there it's not wide enough. Any suggestions on what to do with that wire? Leave it as is, tape it like the other one? If it can wait I could do some proper re-wiring next winter.

2. Where is the fuel pressure relief and how does one check it?

PS. The vent hose in the left part of the picture that isn't connected and points to where the left nipple of the tank would be, that's the gearbox breather. I'll be re-reading previous messages to find out where it's supposed to be and put it back so this never happens again.

PS #2. Just past midnight and still looking at the bike. It came with aftermarket heated grips. I wonder if that purple wire is part of that system. Can't make out where the wiring leads. I don't use it and plan to take it off one winter day.

Almost there. For the 100th time thank you all!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:53 am

In case it helps I found two pics with all the pipes in on mine (UK 2009)....two red ringed ones I'm sure are tank drains that join later behind tank in second pic, blue ringed is gearbox vent pointing down & unconnected.

Back to top Go down
airbornebaby
Carlotto
Carlotto
airbornebaby

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:41 pm

That picture is really helpful! Finishing up cleaning up this mess. At first I figured the canister job had been done but it wasn't. I'm using the hoses from it to vent/drain out the tank using a T adapter, bolting the T/B. That and what's left to do are straightforward. Can't wait to start it in the coming days. I'll ride a bit and do some gearbox oil changes, engine too. That's my first priority to get an idea of its condition.

The dealer offered what I need to clean this up and to open up the gearbox if there's signs of damage. Thing is it's clear they don't really know this machine. So unless that gearbox is kapput there's no way I'm doing that. It would probably lead to more issues. Also it's not a big shop. Once I feel confident enough that it should be ok the priority will be the rollerization. And finding the right place to do it which is a real challenge here. I'd been careful in choosing shops so I'm really spooked now. I now know most don't really know the GRiSO and the tappets issue. It's been really frustrating.

I don't want to let this engine go. That backup plan was a quick thought. Cost wise it could be kept pretty low because it'd be years away, there are occasional great deals on them and parts could be sold to offset the costs. But I don't want to do that. I'll do what I can to keep it going.. It's thanks to this community that I learned of it.

Happy riding!

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:30 pm

Once again I'll stress that you really don't want to ride it at all until it's rollerised. At the kilometerage your bike has done you'll be well into the destruction zone and the fact that you noticed it was getting noisier would indicate that the tappets are now eating the parent material beneath the DLC coating risking even more serious damage. Riding it gently or only doing short trips has no effect on the chaos that is occurring in the camboxes. It needs to be sorted now, not at some vague, indeterminate point in the future.

Back to top Go down
airbornebaby
Carlotto
Carlotto
airbornebaby

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:09 pm

You're right and I take all your advice seriously. Normally it would be parked til the conversion. There's an imperfect human aspect here. I lost my job in aviation a year ago due to the pandemic, after losing my military one due to injury which I'm still battling. Been cooped up inside for months like many of us. I don't know when I'll go back to work or even where. I haven't had my own place in a long time, been on the move and may have to again on short notice. Dealers are taking months of delays due to the pandemic. I'm aching to relax a bit on the road. It's not the right call mechanic wise but I may be willing to take some risk for a just a bit of riding. Heck I may even keep it parked and buy an Indian FTR although the timing wouldn't be smart. Was just watching ride reviews.. I don't trust any dealer where I am. So there's a multitude of reasons, just mentioning them because I don't want to disrespect the important advice. I need to reflect on all of this. Rollerisation, the bearings, keep it parked.. I'm on all that. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:20 pm

Rather than buying something spendy why not pick up something cheap and robust to get your riding fix? There are hundreds of decent, cheap bikes out there, they ain't a GRiSO but they're better than a trashed trashed GRiSO!

I picked up a virtually pristine 40,000km FJ900 Yam for $2K for my sidecar. Yes it's a pretty boring, underpowered old shitbox but it's as tough as old boots and does what it says on the box. How about a V-strom? The 600's are unkillable and run on the smell of an oily rag. Pick up something like that and pour the money you save into fixing up the GRiSO.

Back to top Go down
airbornebaby
Carlotto
Carlotto
airbornebaby

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 pm

Haha that would make sense. I regret selling my 05 ZX-6RR last year. That machine was mint and so smooth, bulletproof.. It was time to finally move on from sportbikes. Besides plates this year in Quebec for those are $2200 CDN. Like your examples I typically buy used deals. Problem with the damn GRiSO is that everything else looks boring to me now. Been looking for a second bike for over a year. Only one that clicks is the 2022 Indian FTR. I'll likely convince myself to wait it out. I may just need to play some golf to change my mind a bit. Listen I've been frustrated lately, tired and prone not to write the right thing or think it. Many of us are. You're lucky in OZ you guys did a good job of keeping this crap out. So I mean it I'll slowly think this all over, change my mind a few times.. Figure it out and try to make the smartest decision. I appreciate your help Pete!

bhattman likes this post

Back to top Go down
airbornebaby
Carlotto
Carlotto
airbornebaby

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Problem solved. The GRiSO will be parked indefinitely until I find the right place to do the conversion. I want that bike to keep going.. But I'm riding this summer.

Back to top Go down
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:19 am

Public service announcement:

Fellow on WG has a "B" kit for sale.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If I remember correctly, a dealer sold it to him when he actually needed an "A" kit

As for the FTR, nice purchase. I have on again/off again lust for those, but for me to have one would intrude upon GRiSO time, and I can't have that.

EDIT: also noted here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:37 am

Hello,

but where you are with flying, pilot? it would be like taking off with a damaged engine and waiting for your crash?

if your money is too little at the moment: leave your GRiSO.
or buy yourself something small to play with...
whether an Indian is the right thing?
it will certainly cost a lot more than repairing the engine.
If you have so much money for a new bike, why not have the GRiSO taken to a reasonable dealer with a haulage company?

Not only will you destroy more parts on your Guzzi engine, but you also risk an accident or a fall if you continue to ride;
And in the worst case, other road users?

Greetings
Holger

Translated with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (free version)
Back to top Go down
airbornebaby
Carlotto
Carlotto
airbornebaby

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:01 pm

Some good news. The GRiSO is running better than ever. I'm only riding it to flush the gearbox twice, the engine oil and test it. So that's a big relief. It'll be stored until I find the right place and time to do the conversion. Thank you for the heads up on the B kit! Based on my serial number I need an A kit but I'll look into that. In my province the only dealer that seems to know the GRiSO and has done the conversion told me it would take over 3 months. Their shop is small and I believe they mostly sell scooters. But the mechanic seemed to know his stuff. Shops are backed up due to the crazy times. So I'll take my time to have it done right. My bike was maintained by some of the biggest Guzzi shops in the country and it was a mess. So I'm spooked and will be even more cautious. I want to learn how to work in the engine one day so I can do it all.

Here's a picture of my two machines. Having a blast on the FTR, just simple fun. Had my eyes on it for years and simply had my excuse to pull the trigger. Gotta have at least 2 bikes.. Nothing can ever replace a GRiSO. Thank you all for helping me clean it up and protect it! I'm gonna have some fun now and figure it out as I go along. Happy riding!

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
bhattman
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
bhattman

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:18 pm

airbornebaby wrote:
Some good news. The GRiSO is running better than ever. I'm only riding it to flush the gearbox twice, the engine oil and test it. So that's a big relief. It'll be stored until I find the right place and time to do the conversion. Thank you for the heads up on the B kit! Based on my serial number I need an A kit but I'll look into that. In my province the only dealer that seems to know the GRiSO and has done the conversion told me it would take over 3 months. Their shop is small and I believe they mostly sell scooters. But the mechanic seemed to know his stuff. Shops are backed up due to the crazy times. So I'll take my time to have it done right. My bike was maintained by some of the biggest Guzzi shops in the country and it was a mess. So I'm spooked and will be even more cautious. I want to learn how to work in the engine one day so I can do it all.

Here's a picture of my two machines. Having a blast on the FTR, just simple fun. Had my eyes on it for years and simply had my excuse to pull the trigger. Gotta have at least 2 bikes.. Nothing can ever replace a GRiSO. Thank you all for helping me clean it up and protect it! I'm gonna have some fun now and figure it out as I go along. Happy riding!

Curious, if you truly had to choose between the two bikes to rebuy again, and only one, which one would it be? That FTR looks great and the reviews sound great, but I am in love with my GRiSO without Beetle, yet! I am expecting that love affair to get better.

Back to top Go down
airbornebaby
Carlotto
Carlotto
airbornebaby

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:58 pm

bhattman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?   How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System? - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

How Did Gearbox Oil Get Into the Fuel System?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3