GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Abba Skylift Fittings?

Go down 
+12
sideshowbob
kiwi dave
Nobleswood
Leone
Pete Roper
Chris W
Doc.
lcjohnny
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
GuzziSteve
BobW981
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

Abba Skylift Fittings? Empty
PostSubject: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:07 pm

I have an Abba Sky Lift stand.  Does anybody else use one of these or the Abba Superbike stand?  or more importantly, use it with their GRiSO?

Abba don’t list fittings for any Moto Guzzi, but I’d like to see if there’s any customised fitting which would allow it to work.

Abba Sky Lift

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bob

Last edited by BobW981 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

StuBob likes this post

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:51 pm

Wow, that's wild looking lift.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:15 pm

looks way too top-heavy. I like a proper lift.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:59 am

I attempted to make a lift from a lesser unit. It was a miserable failure. The GRiSO's weight bias (any CARC Guzzi probably) made it virtually impossible with the potential lifting points on the bike.

For now, the Kiwi_Roy stand does the job.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:21 am

Kiwi Roy lumber stand gets it from me.

Be aware if you use modern UK building joists liberated from skips - the wood is soft and the holes for the support bar will slowly bell out at the ends.
But as the timber is free it can be replaced for a "low cost" so that is hardly a problem Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:09 am

I made my own version for my Stelvio.
Small Cradle slots onto the Centre-Stand Pivot-Points (does the GRiSO have them?). the Lift Arm on the Lift Carriage slots into the Cradle.

Lifts the rear, but by fitting a strap in various locations, I can lift just the Front, or both ends at the same time.

CrazyBiker and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:17 pm

Interesting
I'm guessing that bike is a Stelvio?
Very Happy

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Well it certainly started out as one, when I got it in Sep 2015.

Done a few Mods since then . . .

I need to update the photos, done a few more things since then.
Now has a Trans Logic Quickshifter Kit, had to make a new Gear Lever for it, due to the length of the Sensor.

Also replaced the Wooden Side Platforms with Black Polypropylene ones, after damaging one.

Cheap Radial Clutch M/C fitted.

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Damn - it’s a Frankenstelvio!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:23 pm

Oh Mr. Warner's bike is well known in Stelvio circles. A shit-tonne of work has gone into it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Leone
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Leone

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:04 pm

Only thing missing is the switch which enables the switch for the digital voltmeter! Razz

Dull humor aside, that's an impressive amount of work! The suspension upgrades alone must have made it a new bike entirely, but how much of an improvement did you find the M4 calipers? (I believe the Stelvio and GRiSO shared the same calipers, not a strong suit IMO, especially given the extra heft of the Stelvio.)

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:48 am

Difficult to say with the front Brake upgrade, as I did the Calipers and the Radial M/C at the same time.
Quite an improvement over the originals, one finger is enough for 'normal' braking (but I always use two anyway), you can stand it on it's nose with two when needed.

Someone on my FB Stelvio/V85 Group (956 members worldwide) is just in the process of fitting the M4 Calipers to his Stelvio, keeping the original M/C, he's going to report back how that turns out.

Leone likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:51 am

I've got the M4's on my GRiSO. A vast improvement over stock. Adding the radial m/c's gets you into braking Nirvana.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Doc. and Leone like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:33 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Oh Mr. Warner's bike is well known in Stelvio circles. A shit-tonne of work has gone into it. Laughing

I can see - it's quite impressive
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:40 am

I think I'm almost finished with it now, can't think of anything else I'd want to change on it.

I have an Innov-5 Camera Kit to fit sometime, and it obviously needs a damn good clean-up and a lick of Paint here-and-there.

Apologies to Bob for the thread hijack!
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:17 am

Out of interest what model of Brembo calipers are on GRiSO as OEM ?
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:06 am

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
looks way too top-heavy. I like a proper lift.

I watched a demo of the Sky Lift at the NEC bike show. Their guy had a large cruiser, high on the lift, and climbed up on one side, straddled the bike and down on the opposite side. I was hugely impressed with its stability, not that I’d care to do it myself   [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Doc. wrote:
I made my own version for my Stelvio.
Small Cradle slots onto the Centre-Stand Pivot-Points (does the GRiSO have them?). the Lift Arm on the Lift Carriage slots into the Cradle.

Lifts the rear, but by fitting a strap in various locations, I can lift just the Front, or both ends at the same time.

I like this design, and shall have to get on my back in the garage to see if the GRiSO has the same Centre Stand Pivot points.

IF it does, then a redesign to use a poss slightly different section of box tubing that would mate up, and slide over the Sky Lift’s arm.  The only disadvantage of this, would be the bike might only be lifted horizontally or not to the same angles??

Of interest, although I don’t know the Sky Lift’s maximum load.  It is capable of holding a BMW R1250 RT, which has a kerb weight of 280kg.  The Sky Lift also uses a ratchet strap to bias the bike front down, or rear down.  Although this is enabled by its fittings pivoting within the swingarm pivot.

Bob

Last edited by BobW981 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:37 pm

The Bike will pivot on the Centre-Stand Mounts, it would be like clamping the Stand in a giant Vice, but without the physical stop between Frame and Stand.
Strap running from the rear of the subframe to the Lift Base, front end lifts.
Strap from subframe to the lift Cradle, Bike goes up level.

With no Strap, as I said, the Rear lifts, but I can pull down on the Rack and pivot the bike fully 'nose-up'.

You can get this for the GRiSO . . .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You'd probably have to make something similar to slot the ABBA Lift into.
Looks like there are Stand Mount Points on the GRiSO Frame.

Should be pretty simple, like mine, but with longer uprights.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:45 pm

Doc. wrote:
The Bike will pivot on the Centre-Stand Mounts, it would be like clamping the Stand in a giant Vice, but without the physical stop between Frame and Stand.
Strap running from the rear of the subframe to the Lift Base, front end lifts.
Strap from subframe to the lift Cradle, Bike goes up level.

With no Strap, as I said, the Rear lifts, but I can pull down on the Rack and pivot the bike fully 'nose-up'.

[SNIPPED]

Doc,  thanks very much.  You’ve given me a direction to look at  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Abba replied to my enquiry with the following:

• “Hi Bob, We're very sorry but we don't do anything for that model. The
    swing-arm pivot does not have a point that the Sky Lift could pick up on.
    Even if it did the single-sided swing-arm is on the wrong side.
    Sorry we couldn't help.”

I don’t understand exactly what their issue is, especially regarding the single sided swing arm being on the ‘wrong side’ ?
Normally their ratchet strap secures to the left side of the swing arm, but would think there’s a work-around?  Essentially some of their email smacks of corporate deniability. Cest la vie  afro

My need to use the Abba stand, is to overcome a disability which prevents me from working low down. Even unscrewing the oil filter would present a huge problem Rolling Eyes

Bob

Last edited by BobW981 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Layout edit)
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:59 pm

Bob,
Can you use a hoist to pick the bike up with instead of the Abba stand ?
Street has a good picture of one of his bikes rigged up in the air that way
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:53 am

Doc. wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Should be pretty simple, like mine, but with longer uprights.

Does anyone know how this pivot point attaches?

They don’t appear to be threaded, and …on their video he seems to maybe spring them into place?

Bob
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:41 pm

I'm not familiar with the GRiSO (yet!), but from the photo is appears there are 'Sockets' below the Foot-Pegs, where those Spigots locate.
Maybe not all years/models are the same?

Another option would be to pick-up on the 'Sockets' in the Frame, above the Pegs.

Would probably mean removing the Pegs when you wanted to use the Lift, but I'm guessing that's not too much of a chore?

I'm going to do something similar for a couple of friends with GS1200s (different models, same Frame design), and make them a Lift like mine to share.
They don't want to have to remove the Centre-Stands to use the Lift, so I'm going to pick-up on the Frame 'Sockets'.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:17 pm

The factory stand uses bobbins that go on the outside of the rear, lower, side plate bolts and the stand picks up on them. It's a good design, needs longer bolts to accommodate the bobbins but is very secure.

The frame hole can be used for lifting but some models need to have the plastic trim removed or it will get damaged by the lift bar.
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:27 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The frame hole can be used for lifting but some models need to have the plastic trim removed or it will get damaged by the lift bar.

It never got a chance as I damaged one as I removed it to protect it! I now use it to store puncture repair tools using plumbers plugs at both ends.

Doc. likes this post

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm

Doc. wrote:
I'm not familiar with the GRiSO (yet!), but from the photo is appears there are 'Sockets' below the Foot-Pegs, where those Spigots locate.
Maybe not all years/models are the same?

Another option would be to pick-up on the 'Sockets' in the Frame, above the Pegs.

Would probably mean removing the Pegs when you wanted to use the Lift, but I'm guessing that's not too much of a chore?
[SNIPPED]
The fittings for the Sky Lift have collars or spacers built into each side to allow for obstructions. Possibly you can tie pegs out of the way?

Pete Roper wrote:
[SNIPPED]

This one?  What’s its purpose?

Pete, do those plastic inserts prise out?  I have looked at them as a way of inserting Sky Lift fitting from either side?  …or as you suggest, making a bar the exact length to suit the Sky Lift?

Bob

Last edited by BobW981 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit image size)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Abba Skylift Fittings?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next