GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Abba Skylift Fittings?

Go down 
+12
sideshowbob
kiwi dave
Nobleswood
Leone
Pete Roper
Chris W
Doc.
lcjohnny
beetle
Oz1200Guzzi
GuzziSteve
BobW981
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:08 pm

Pete, Street, had a drawing of a lifting bar that won't crush the plastic inserts. I have it saved, but can't find it at the moment. Steel bar with a couple of small bars tacked to it.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:09 pm

The plastic trims are screwed to the inside of the footrest hanger plates. They come out from the 'Inside'.

The tube is the rear frame cross brace.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:15 pm

Found it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:48 am

The plastic fittings are just to tidy up the ends of the Frame Crossmember.
The Stelvio Frame has a pair of Alloy Plugs screwed on.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:23 am

As Pete says the plastic inserts are secured from behind by three tabs screwed into the "pork chop"

Some models have a narrowing in that tube which allows a plain bar to go through to support the bike without breaking the little chromed insers.
BUT some models do not have the narrowing so you need to make up a bar as shown by SideshowBob to avoid breaking the inserts .

I like the Stelvio Plugs - may seek them out

No-one knows the purpose of that tube (except Luigi -- but he's not here).
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:03 am

It's just a Cross-Member, all Frames have them in some form or another.
On the Stelvio, it carries the upper Shock Mounting, and the Swing-Arm Mountings, I suspect the GRiSO is similar.

The Plugs on the Stelvio are attached with a Screw, which goes into a flat strip welded across the Tube.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:21 am

It is a cross member that connects the frame tubes to the frame holding the swing-arm bearings. the frame has a top and bottom tubular member
- but the chromed rings make the top tube look so very important
- probably meant to evoke the looks of the V11 and 1100 sport. GRiSO frame below [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Doc. and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:06 pm

Here's the poop on the lifting bar I made (referred to above).

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Oz1200Guzzi, lcjohnny and BobW981 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:11 am

Street wrote:
Here's the poop on the lifting bar I made (referred to above).

Thanks for this.  What’s the purpose of the pair of 1/4” bars?

I’m assuming they’re acting as spacers to keep the lifted bar away from the plastic chrome trims??

Bob
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 pm

BobW981 wrote:
What’s the purpose of the pair of 1/4” bars?

I’m assuming they’re acting as spacers to keep the lifting bar away from the plastic chrome trims??

Bob

Yes, that's the whole purpose. That's also why there's a notch in the end of the bar - so you can see that those 1/4" bars are on top when the bar is inserted through the frame hole.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:47 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The frame hole can be used for lifting but some models need to have the plastic trim removed or it will get damaged by the lift bar.

Pete, we are talking about the above plastic piece?  Covering the frame member hole.  

I’ve had a good look around & to the back, there’s no access to the back??  I prodded & attempted to tap it around to unscrew. Not wanting to damage it, after Kiwi Dave’s warning.  I just can’t suss out how this is secured??

The earlier conversation seems in part to refer to the rubber bung covering the swing arm bearings.

Street’s lifting bar is a clever way around this problem, but for the Sky Lift the bike could only be carefully lifted horizontally, and you’d not be able to lift it in wheelie or stoppie positions.  

Bob
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:14 pm

BobW981 wrote:
. . . Street’s lifting bar is a clever way around this problem, but for the Sky Lift the bike could only be carefully lifted horizontally, and you’d not be able to lift it in wheelie or stoppie positions.  
Bob

Why is that Bob?
Is the ABBA Cradle assembly not 'deep' enough to allow the Bike to tilt fore and aft?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:00 pm

BobW981 wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:
The frame hole can be used for lifting but some models need to have the plastic trim removed or it will get damaged by the lift bar.

Pete, we are talking about the above plastic piece?  Covering the frame member hole.  

I’ve had a good look around & to the back, there’s no access to the back??  I prodded & attempted to tap it around to unscrew. Not wanting to damage it, after Kiwi Dave’s warning.  I just can’t suss out how this is secured??

The earlier conversation seems in part to refer to the rubber bung covering the swing arm bearings.

Street’s lifting bar is a clever way around this problem, but for the Sky Lift the bike could only be carefully lifted horizontally, and you’d not be able to lift it in wheelie or stoppie positions.  

Bob

No, it's not threaded. It is retained by three screws from the engine side of the footrest hanger. Drop off the footrest hanger plate and look at the back of it.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:14 pm

Doc. wrote:
BobW981 wrote:
. . . Street’s lifting bar is a clever way around this problem, but for the Sky Lift the bike could only be carefully lifted horizontally, and you’d not be able to lift it in wheelie or stoppie positions.  
Bob

Why is that Bob?
Is the ABBA Cradle assembly not 'deep' enough to allow the Bike to tilt fore and aft?

No, not that.  I was concerned whether the pair of 1/4” bars would turn with the bike, thereby losing their spacing to the plastic chromed part.

Pete Roper wrote:
BobW981 wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:

…I just can’t suss out how this is secured??

Bob

No, it's not threaded. It is retained by three screws from the engine side of the footrest hanger. Drop off the footrest hanger plate and look at the back of it.

Thanks, I’ll have a look.  
It’s not a simple option for each time I want to use the Sky Lift.  I’m thinking of replacing them with something similar to the Ducati Performance Frame Plugs on my Diavel.  They were secured by an allen bolt & simple to remove, unsure about the outside diameter (54mm?) needed.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:41 am

Plugs secured with a single (central) Bolt, need fittings welded across the Tube with a threaded hole in them, to accept the Bolts, like on the Stelvio.
That would obviously stop you passing a Bar through the Tube for the Lift.

One way round this would be to have the holes in the Caps Threaded, and cut a suitable length of Stud to Screw the Caps onto.
Back to top Go down
dennis the menace
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
dennis the menace

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:15 pm

i made a frame to get GRiSO wheels off[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:42 pm

Just a pic to show how the plastic bling is retained.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 am

Simple, practical, and effective Dennis, I like it!
Back to top Go down
BobW981
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
BobW981

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:35 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

Thanks Pete, I’ve not been able to delve into the GRiSO, but can definitely see what’s needed.  At this time Street’s lifting bar is in poll position.

The Sky Lift’s use of the left side bar to strap down the swing arm needs some thought… 🤔

Bob

Last edited by BobW981 on Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:10 pm

Pete Roper wrote:

Hey! I recognise that bike Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:24 pm

Thought you might. We can't find anything wrong with it. We haven't pulled the gearbox yet. I'm going to ride it for a bit and see if I can duplicate your problem. Only thing we found was the front pinion seal leaking on the bevelbox but the pinion nut was still carrying its preload and that wouldn't make a noise.

We had the starter motor off for a squizz into the bell housing and there is no sign of bits of busted up spring so we think the friction plate is OK. I've got to ride it....
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:47 pm

Ok.
Go for it!
Back to top Go down
Doc.
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Doc.

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:52 am

BobW981 wrote:
. . . The Sky Lift’s use of the left side bar to strap down the swing arm needs some thought . . .
I can use my lift on either side, and I just run my Strap from the Lift Base (or Carriage, depending how I want it to lift) to the Subframe.
If I have the Swing-Arm off, it means I can still lift the Front End.

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Guzzi Two Shoes
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Guzzi Two Shoes

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:54 am

I use an Abba stand to get my GRiSO a few inches off the ground.  A buddy machined me a pair of bobbins which I fitted to the frame and I use a trolley jack and a piece of wood under the sump to lift the front.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

BobW981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:31 am

Hi Guzzi Two Shoes could you please post the dimensions of the bobbins your mate made up?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abba Skylift Fittings?   Abba Skylift Fittings? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Abba Skylift Fittings?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next