GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

V85TT Travel

Go down 
+7
lcjohnny
beetle
Chris W
Pete Roper
garyclem
Clancy
Oz1200Guzzi
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

V85TT Travel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:54 pm

Just worked out what's causing this PITA - my office chair is collapsing. Poor posture plus pressure on my coccyx - thence PITA. Just sacked my old office chair - funny, I was thinking of buying a new one anyway. Now I will
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Just washed two bikes and the car (well it was there and I still had foamy liquid in the bucket). The Sport had an aggregation of insects stuffed in various orifices on the bike. Probably lucky I didn't wear the bees!

Anyway, I tried out the navigation system on the V85TT Travel. Hooks up to my phone, give it a destination and away you go. Corner by corner navigation, on the dash, just like a proper SatNav device. I am impressed! Now I just need to use it in anger...

Edit:
It's even got a "this is where you left your bike" message, within the App - impressed - fortunately I knew where I left it - at home, went down to the local shops to get essentials for tonight: Beer, rum, pork - got plenty of firewood for a fire, which will be lit shortly.

MalG and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:00 pm

Went for another ride today - much more betterer on the seat though I am not fully healed yet - bursitis of the hip/sit bones and where the hammies meet. I have to do exercise (shock; horror) to stretch it all.

Anyway, I am liking the Travel. Quite responsive on the throttle. Went on some gravel too - not much though. Suspension needs softening, which I will do when I get to around 1,000 km.

garyclem, MalG, lcjohnny and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 pm

After softening up the rebound as much as it would go, both front and rear and taking off some pre-load from the front, today I did circa 140 km. Much better - round track (still on pavement) is not like riding on cobblestones - this is a good thing, I think.

While the suspension is not first class, it is adequate - probably except for going over jumps or corrugations. However it will do for now.

Arse is still healing but the seat is still way too firm.

I love cruise control!

I had a quick ride yesterday and all I wanted to do was wheel stands. I refrained. We are getting on just fine. I am close to loving it... It's not a big-block, it is what it is.

garyclem, Clancy and freewaystreak like this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:46 pm

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...

Well, not quite, we are expecting rain today for the rest of the week. Thought I would take both bikes out for a spin beforehand. I took the Sport first - well I think it has shrunk, that's what it felt like - everything is lower to the road and just felt "small" - I find this strange as the Sport is not a small bike.

Still goes like stink, though - I controlled myself as there were not many vehicles on the road. I was overtaken by a Nissan van thingy (Highway Star?) and was tempted to show him how it's done. Sanity prevailed, he disappeared from sight. Ten minutes later he got pinged by the boys in blue, possibly a walk home effort as he was flying.

Had the ride and then took the Travel out. Whoa a new stepladder methinks. I took the road less travelled and really started to have some fun! Seat is still harder than a concrete step but I started throwing it around and really leaning over on corners. Felt good, inner hoon has been released. I think this one is going to be fun.

garyclem, Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
GUZ21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
GUZ21

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:43 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Whoa a new stepladder methinks.

I think we are both similarly challenged in a vertical sense. and to me it was a totally new experience having to get on and off the TT while standing on footpegs. In fact it was a dealbreaker. Just too tall for me. After 2 extended test rides, I declined to purchase.

So I bought a Himmy, just for the shopping, and maybe for the odd long distance cruise at a slower pace. Because the high tail on the Himmy it means standing on the footpegs all the time now, to get on and off, and while it was savagely weird at first, breaking a 50 year habit, I'm at last quite comfortable. The pillion won't even attempt it, but her can-can days are behind her.

Oz1200Guzzi and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:29 pm

You calling me short, Richard?

I resemble that remark, closely.

Also have waistline spread - could be something I ate.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:33 pm

Quote :
Also have waistline spread - could be something I ate.

Might be the beer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 pm

I really like my Moto Guzzi TT, that is the Stornello TT Laughing Took 2 years of sorting and adjusting, but it does everything I want, and almost as capable as the V85. This is what I tell myself to avoid temptation for buying one.

I also love my 1200 Sport, and agree it is like a favorite jacket, pair of boots or baseball glove....

And of course the great Convertor.......... ehem, I mean GRiSO.... A nice short 60 miles today, but better than nothing.... Such a brilliant bike.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Maybe they will release a Stornello with the bigger engine - though it is down on HP compared the V85 - also uses a different ECU. Try a V85, you might enjoy it

Bulldog9 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:12 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:
Maybe they will release a Stornello with the bigger engine - though it is down on HP compared the V85 - also uses a different ECU. Try a V85, you might enjoy it

I do like it, even the big schnoz is growing on me..... Very Happy Laughing [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Well surprise, surprise, I found some off-road stuff.

First I went near the local tip, there was some tracks through the rape (Canola) that looked like a truck had made. I followed those and was surprised that there wasn't a moment of "oh shit", not even close. OK so straight soft dirt is good, stable and everything a big trailie might handle.

Next I found the local boat ramp, doddled around there and left quickly - not much there apart from a boat ramp and picnic ground. There was evidence of water skiing though.

Leaving there I went down a gravel road which led me to the levee. Rode along that for a bit - all gravel, sometime too much - up and down and around and around. Not issues. Nope not a hint.

I haven't ridden off-road for maybe 26 years - some things never leave you, I suppose. I even tried sliding the V85TT on some faster sections. By try, I gave it squirts, not quite full-bore though. Hell it still hasn't even got 600 km on it yet.

I did ride the Sport immediately beforehand and chalk and cheese reared it head again.

So I bought the V85 to ride the dirt roads around here. Seems it might have been a most excellent choice. Dare I say it - I loving it! And you can't see the schnoz from the ride position.

As I bought it sight unseen and never having sat on one, this is one I will not regret.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:54 am

Bulldog9 wrote:
I really like my Moto Guzzi TT, that is the Stornello TT Laughing Took 2 years of sorting and adjusting, but it does everything I want, and almost as capable as the V85. This is what I tell myself to avoid temptation for buying one.

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:

Allan Cathcart said in an article that I remember -- but, no, I can't find it on the web, so maybe I'd made it all up as I do in so many other things (as Kathi queen  says I often do, anyway clown)  -- he found the Stornello more capable than the V85 in some respects, mostly as I recall (or made up  Wink) for its lightness off pavement.  

I am too inseam-challenged to flatfoot a V85 without mods, so took that model off my shopping list.  But I do like it and am very pleased that it's done so well in sales.  

Post a pic or two, Tony of your off-pavement adventures.   cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:18 am

Well, Bill, unless I have a helmet mounted camera, which I don't, it's unlikely as I was having too much fun. Stopping is way too hard for me, especially on uneven ground. Hell, I might topple over and get hurt. Stopping is dangerous...

I'll see what I can do next outing Bill

Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:56 pm

Oz1200Guzzi wrote:

Allan Cathcart said in an article that I remember -- but, no, I can't find it on the web, so maybe I'd made it all up as I do in so many other things (as Kathi queen  says I often do, anyway clown)  -- he found the Stornello more capable than the V85 in some respects, mostly as I recall (or made up  Wink) for its lightness off pavement.  

I am too inseam-challenged to flatfoot a V85 without mods, so took that model off my shopping list.  But I do like it and am very pleased that it's done so well in sales.  

Post a pic or two, Tony of your off-pavement adventures.   cheers

Bill[/quote]

You mean this one? Laughing Everything was going so fine.... Until it wasn't. A sudden pit of sand so fine it was like talc. So soft, that though I was going 25-30mph and got tossed, I didn't feel a thing. I think I'll stick to dirt and gravel, Sand is not my cup of beans.

Oz1200Guzzi, Bill Hagan and Doc. like this post

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Today was the day - doing a 200+ km loop. Half was dirt/san/gravel/mud/hardpack.

The first section of sand I came to, nearly spat me off - the street map is way too sensitive in its throttle response - flicking it to "off-road" tamed the beast somewhat.

As previously reported, the Travel seems to quite a capable mount of the bitumen. No it's not a MotoX bike, never will be.

However, out on the open (unsealed) road, it is very, very nice. Found myself cruising between 100 and 120 km/h without any worries. I did have a few moments where I was on top of the berm on a corner and threatening to go the other side - could have been messy but she held the line, a bit of movement from both ends, neutral throttle, judicious leaning and we made it around. From them on, I made sure I was low on the berm going into the corner. Stupendous!

Even had one section where I was going way too fast to have a choice and ploughed through mud/water - apart from being officially dirty (both me and the bike) the outcome was fantastic.

Very Happy with my purchase. Suspension still needs to be softer, front and rear. For me anyway.

Clancy likes this post

Back to top Go down
RobR
Carlotto
Carlotto
RobR

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:18 pm

Hey Team,
Just read this post and thought I would jump in with my impressions. (Apologies to non Australians for the local references).

I brought the '21 Centenario  V85TT back in June. I saw so many of them at the Budgie that I had to see what all the fuss was about. Managed to talk a local Brisbane dealer into letting me take a '20 Travel for a short test ride. I loved it and the deal was done that arvo.

My impressions are fairly similar to Tony's. Disclaimer: this is my 5th Guzzi I have 3 Tonti's and a GRiSO.

I love the V85TT. It is such an easy bike to ride. I am 6' 2" so luckily the vertical challenged issues don't apply to me. The seat is firm but I have done a few 2-300Km stints in the saddle because of the big tank. I find that it can cause PITA but fortunately a short stint of standing on the pegs can provide much needed relief. The riding position is so natural and comfortable I can see this being the last bike I ride before hanging up my helmet for good.

First things first. This bike is stunning. You pay top dollar for a Guzzi in Oz but the build quality is top noch. And for unashamed show offs like myself, form is just as important as function.
I initially thought they were too expensive to sell but should have looked a bit closer. The V85 has all the bells and whistles in the electronics package and when I started looking at some of the other brands, the Guzzi was a lot closer to the pack for cost than I thought. I went for the Centenario because it is a single year run and it's a little bit special.

Suspension is definitely more road bias. (as are the tyres on the Centenario, has 90/10 Dunlops) Road manners are very good. I am regularly in the hills and the bike has very good corner speed which can be a bit of an expensive issue in the over regulated state of Queensland.
I haven't done much in the way of off road because I am still waiting (7 months) for engine crash bars and better tyres before I get too keen. So no opinion of worth here other than a complaint about dealer support.(insert yawn here)

Brakes are very good. Good bite on the front. The Back does the job but I need to do a bit more dirt.

Gearbox is silky smooth (for a Guzzi), no big clunk and lurch forward when kicked into 1st. No false neutrals yet. Clutch is very light in comparison, but is solid with good feel.

The electronics are comprehensive. Unfortunately I got a user manual that had no instructions on any of it. The section was removed. Not good. Found a copy on line for a '20 model. Similar but not the same. A few emails with the importer and I got a .pdf copy. The screen looks great but is a bit short on the Centenario. It causes a fair bit of turbulance around the helmet. On long rides I attach an extender and that improves it dramatically. I take it off for short trips as it looks crap.

Now the bad.
The fueling on the '21 is rubbish. They have leaned the motor out to a point that I get pinging at  around  3000rpm which is where the motor loves to sit. The manual says 95RON but it still pings on 98RON, even worse now heading into summer. I am sweating on Mark cracking the ECU and fixing this issue.
Other than the pinging, the engine is a peach and just right for this bike. Smooth, good torque for the size.

All up I am very happy with my V85. I am looking at setting it up for a bit of long distance touring. I like going to rally's and with Phillip Island being a go for 2022, I am definitely in.
Oh, and it is approved by the girlfriend for longer rides.

cheers

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:06 pm

Ron, good report, I concur. Mine has the Michelin Anakee and I can't speak highly enough of them. Did a pile of dirt last night until I had to turn tail and run from the approaching storm. Good fun.

If you are in this neck of the woods, there might even be a bed or two, for fellow Gussisti!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:04 pm

Yesterday I fitted the Mistral header/y-pipe to replace the factory colostomy bag, also fitted the Zard muffler. Still yet to take it on a ride. Boy is the original setup heavy!
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:16 pm

Sounds like a few beers worth of fun!
What was the damage from the little spill you had?
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:38 pm

Nothing to the bike Craig. had to straighten the handguard and mirror on the RH side - that's all.

Went for a ride, she barks right well now, and the colostomy bag was throttling the shit out of the engine. Now pulls strongly or stronglier for the bogans out there. Does need remapping but that is waiting in the wings until "someone" cracks the 11MP ECU.

Rear rack is now fitted (can move it between the Sport and the V85) - just need to refine some packing issues before heading off next month for our gathering. The Sport used to hold the chair and bed behind the pannier racks. The V85 has huge panniers (in comparison) but not space for the bed and chair - work will need to be done. I also need to finish attaching the tank bag.

Clancy likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: V85TT Travel   V85TT Travel - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

V85TT Travel
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2