GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?

Go down 
+4
Oz1200Guzzi
beetle
lcjohnny
evansnows
8 posters
AuthorMessage
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Empty
PostSubject: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:15 pm

When I hit a load of rocks and gravel spilt on a busy road I was slowing down for traffic lights.
Other than tearing up my knee and spraining my left thumb the damage to the bike was scuffing on the right bar end and lever,
scuffing on the radiator cover, breaking off the brake pedal end, scuffing the tappett cover and scuffing the carbon cover that was fitted on the carc.

So I'm already looking to make composite covers to protect the tappet covers but thinking in terms of looking at the other issues.
Particularly modifying the brake and clutch pedal ends so that they fold up as the footrests do.

I'd appreciate some feedback as to whether the areas that suffered are typical of areas that are prone to damage.
Making a composite cover for the bottom of the radiator cover would be easy. The cover on the carc was already on the bike I simply glued on a carbon medallion to cover the damage.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On the left hand side it looks like the tappet cover and muffler would be the casualties. If the muffler were not too banged up I would rebuild the shape with epoxy and filler paste and wrap it in carbon
Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:36 pm

gear lever bends even in gentle right hand falls - hopefully a folding tip will save it Smile
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:54 pm

Gear & brake levers, valve covers, oil cooler cover, bar weights, CARC, mirrors, bones, pride.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Oz1200Guzzi and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:07 pm

The voice of experience...

SMTCapeCod likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:15 pm

X2 on the brake pedal and pride. I was strapping down the GRiSO in my box trailer in preparation for a trip and bumped the wrong catch on a strap I was trying to snug. Oops. GRiSO pinned me to the floor, causing much pain and bruising of macho-ness. In short, I screwed up. Bent brake pedal was all the GRiSO suffered.
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:05 am

CARC (protector saved it), oil cooler cover and valve cover on my last heroic 2mph off.
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:24 am

My GRiSO came with the carbon carc protector.
I've not seen them online.
Anyone know where they come from ?

I'll start working on the design of folding back brake and gear selectors.
It was annoying limping home after the fall with no back brake.
I'll be looking to fabricate mine in stainless steel.
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:52 am

evansnows wrote:

It was annoying limping home after the fall with no back brake.
I'll be looking to fabricate mine in stainless steel.

Just keep in mind, something has to be the weak point. Perhaps the toe nub? Make it sacrificial?
Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:35 pm

Getting my head around folding brake and gearchange ends
This is what I'm starting with as my template

I'll try fabricating a folding version but I just checked ebay, there are heaps but most are cheap and nasty.
These are the exception and it looks like the ends could be adapted to fit. If making my own gets into the too hard basket then I'll buy a pair.

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:24 am

alternatively....

Back to top Go down
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:57 pm

The final touch to my tappet covers
16mm stainless bar stock split with a 4" grinder and thin cutting blade.
Drilled and countersunk to take 5mm countersunk socket head machine screws.
shaped tidied up and polished.

Threaded inserts in the carbon cover

Dry fit. I'll bond with high strength black epoxy and the machine screws for the final fit

I assume something like this could be bolted onto the tappet covers directly.

The cost to try making your own is minimal, a machinist gave me the bar stock and the rest was kicking around in the workshop.

These should give good protection without the potential damage to the frame from crash bars.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
stimpetta
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
stimpetta

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:21 am

Twice Enid 1100 has fallen (should have put my foot down sooner during a slow speed maneuver). Damage include scuffed rocker cover plastic protector and snapped the bottom of the right hand side Ali side panel. Snapped just above the back brake pedal. Had to be welded back together to avoid £280 replacement.
Back to top Go down
https://smallmouse.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?   What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

What are the vulnerable bits in a low speed slide ?
Page 1 of 1