GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Spark plug tube update?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

Spark plug tube update? Empty
PostSubject: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:18 pm

I had the roller upgrade on my '09 GRiSO 8V a couple years back. I started to notice oil misting around the heads lately and figured the valve cover gaskets were getting hard. I ordered those and the spark plug tube rubber bushing as well. When I went to change them I found there was no spark plug tube rubber at all. I put one on top of the rockers and figured the problem was solved but after a long ride a trace of oil came back.

It appears I still have the long tube shown in this parts diagram. Was that supposed to be updated along with the roller rockers and cams? At least I got the expensive parts under warranty!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:03 pm

No, 'B' and 'C' kit bikes still use the 'Long' plug tubes. If you have misting it may be the o rings at the bottom of the tubes at the head or, more likely, the breather hoses from the back of the heads cracking and leaking.

Can you take some pics of the leaks and their locations?

(Edit) unless of course they've used the wrong kit.) if they'd done that you wouldn't have 'Misting' so much as an Exxon Valdez event!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:52 am

Does that mean #16 should not be used and I should have two of the #9 o-rings only? I'll take some pics tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:59 pm

Nope. Not on an '09 bike. Have you read my 'Definitive guide' to Rollerisation? I think this is covered pretty well in there.
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:16 pm

Well that info certainly helps. Maybe the O-rings were in there and I didn't see them? The issue started during sharp cornering on right hand turns. Not exactly a great place to get an oil leak. The later model tube seal slowed the misting issue if that gives any clues?

I was aware of the breather hose issue and put heavier duty hose at the head port and adapted it to the curved hoses above to the catch tank. The stock hoses are ridiculously expensive and didn't fare well from the get go. Is there a proven solution for that too?
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:23 pm

I think the timing sensor is a culprit on the left side?[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:25 pm

Here's the rear left side then the right side near head gasket.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Phase sensor or the condom on the breather box/condensor.

Very, very unlikely to be head gasket. There are also o-rings on the breather plates on the rear of the heads which can leak but most likely it will be the upper or lower o-rings on the plug tube. Take great care removing the tubes, they are NLA.

Bill Hagan and lcjohnny like this post

Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:03 am

Good info, thanks Pete! 👍. I had forgotten about the breather box up by the frame head. I had some suspect hoses up there before. I'll post an update later....
Back to top Go down
jlburgess
Carlotto
Carlotto
jlburgess

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:45 pm

I was able to order a couple of new spark plug o-rings but my local parts guy seemed somewhat unenthusiastic about the prospect of receiving the blow by cannister condom part #
Breather Cap 978781 $6.69
Has it been eradicated? I recall that it is an odd size and not easily capped. Gorilla glue?
Back to top Go down
SMTCapeCod
Biondino
Biondino
SMTCapeCod

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:00 pm

I just received one (condom/cap) a couple weeks ago from AF1. Don't recall whether it was an ordered part or in-stock. It is made of very thin material, which is frustrating.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Spark plug tube update?   Spark plug tube update? Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:10 pm

The original is less than stellar. If you have a hunt around I’m sure you can find something better. It’s only a cap after all.
Back to top Go down

Spark plug tube update?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GRiSO ghetto :: The Ghetto :: GRiSOLOGY-
Jump to: