GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly

Go down 
+4
Nobleswood
paulbrice
SMTCapeCod
Buellbloke
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:58 am

JohnA wrote:
I use the MPH kit on my 2014 and all I had to do was plug it in to the relay and it’s connecting cable and connect to the battery. It comes fused but they had a 15amp fuse in it. It would blow once in a while so I went to a 20 and it’s blown maybe once every other year. I didn’t change any wires. For my 2014, it was the relay closest to the front of the bike. Had to loosen up the side panel to get to it.
Good luck.

The MPH kit is half the job, as mentioned further up have one coming from the USA.
You really need the extra heavy duty wire or wires, am yet to 100% establish the latter.
One bridging to the maintenance relay (this latter) the other running direct to the starter motor solenoid.
Only fuses blowing then will be down to a dirty pinnion gear shaft needing regular servicing like the rest of the bike.
As your bike ages that MPH kit on its own will become less and less effective, so I have read on these GRiSO inspired hallowed pages.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:39 am

paulbrice wrote:
Test ride results ?

Ride overall with factory settings at the front is still firm, currently backing off compression damping see what thats like.
Rear is the same, rebound is set midway moving that back half a turn once find some fat f*cker to sit on it Laughing (screw is obscured by wishbone)

Rode down to my local bike haunt which has cobbles and the ride was definitely smoother over the cobbles.
Nothing is bottoming out.

Certainly getting all the travel available that I should be getting.
Steering is not fast, tyres are new, need to try some fast sweepers before can be subjective, thats tomorrow.
Nothing broke or fell off so thats a plus  Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

paulbrice and Yahu like this post

Back to top Go down
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:40 pm

Możesz podać swoją wagę i dokładne ustawienie ?
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:31 pm

Weight is 107 kilos, settings are to sag for my weight on K-teck fork springs and Stelvio rear shock with a 12.5kg spring.
Back to top Go down
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:43 pm

Rozumiem i dzięki 😃

Buellbloke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:49 am

Buellbloke

I’m curious, how much travel are you getting on the forks, from the dust cover to your ziptie ?

When I rebuilt my forks I forgot to compress everything to find what the empirical range was.
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:51 am

Nobleswood wrote:
Buellbloke

I’m curious, how much travel are you getting on the forks, from the dust cover to your ziptie ?

When I rebuilt my forks I forgot to compress everything to find what the empirical range was.

About 1'' 3/4 ish - 2inches, which is about correct.
The cable tie looks a long way down but the dust seal is almost a centimeter thick then the seal.
I did proper sag, spring pre load is one ring up from whats normally on the GRiSO forks.
Am using 1'' 3/4 sag maybe a tad under.
Springs are K-tech 9.5 rated for 107 kilos there abouts.
Oil is 5w instead of 7.5w.
Quantity is 470ml opposed to 520ml.
I backed the compression adjuster back an 1/8th of a turn from default, which is one turn out from full in.
Riding slow and sure you can feel overbanding and the like, but ride brisk and it floats over everything.
Hit a ramp and it just absorbs it, its wonderful Very Happy

Should be sublime with your uprated valves and decent springs, plus 5w oil @ a reduced amount.

Handling at the front with forks dropped thru the yokes is back to neutral.

My new tyres are very confidence inspiring and am back to riding like a looney  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:04 pm

I think we’re talking about different measurements, I was thinking

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:23 pm

Nobleswood wrote:
I think we’re talking about different measurements, I was thinking

Ok so full fork travel on my bike with k-tech springs for my weight, and 5w oil at 470ml unloaded is 123mm.
Bike on ground is about 90mm
Me sitting on bike about 50mm leaving around 67mm of travel used
Add in my 1'' and 3/4 which is about 44.5mm
I cant go any further as my brain does not do numbers Laughing

All setting should be on factory except spring pre load which should be wound off completely.
If you want to do your sag, measure your entire fork tube from seal to bottom of leg with bike supported.
Then pop bike on ground and hold upright.
Measure the distance lost.
Now sit on the bike upright with all your gear on, use your elbow against a wall.
Get off bike and measure that bit
Now add those two measurments together and that is your sag.
It should be 1''1/2 -1''3/4 erring toward the 3/4
If its under your springs are too strong.
Over and you adjust with spring pre load adjuster.

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:02 pm

The 90 mm measurement was what I was after. Ta !
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:34 pm

Nobleswood wrote:
The 90 mm measurement was what I was after. Ta !

Your orf your head Shocked
The K-tech springs are slightly shorter by a few mm compared to standard.
How can my measurements and yours compare unless you have the same springs?
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:25 pm

I’ve calculated my sag settings, that’s not what I’m wondering about.

I had it in my head that there was 120 mm of travel, so there’s that niggle in the back of my head ‘did I put everything back in the right order / place’

Your 90 mm indicates to me that I’m not so far off & not to worry about it.

By the way the Traxxion springs I replaced mine with, needed a spacer so they were also a different length than standard
Back to top Go down
Buellbloke
Nibbio
Nibbio
Buellbloke

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:31 pm

Nobleswood wrote:
I’ve calculated my sag settings, that’s not what I’m wondering about.

I had it in my head that there was 120 mm of travel, so there’s that niggle in the back of my head ‘did I put everything back in the right order / place’

Your 90 mm indicates to me that I’m not so far off & not to worry about it.

By the way the Traxxion springs I replaced mine with, needed a spacer so they were also a different length than standard

Thats all good then, hope you did the rear first as extra travel at the rear can affect the front.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly   Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fork Seals/Springs/ Disassembly
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2