GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Brake light not working - a few questions

Go down 
+2
Kiwi_Roy
rothbard
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rothbard
Carlotto
Carlotto
rothbard

Brake light not working - a few questions Empty
PostSubject: Brake light not working - a few questions   Brake light not working - a few questions Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:24 am

Hey everyone - I just checked my brakes and found that the brake light doesn't light when I apply either the front or rear brake, and I was hoping that the community could help me answer a few questions:

1. I removed the fender and second light from my bike a few months ago (pre- and post- photos are attached). When depressing the brakes, do both lights light up? Or just the lower light (that I removed)? If I removed the brake light, it would make sense that it would light up. I don't think this is the case but thought I'd check. If anyone can check their GRiSO and let me know what lights light up when pressing the brakes I'd appreciate it.

2. If the main rear light also acts as a brake light, I think I need to check the front and rear brake light switches. Where can I find those?

3. Are there any other suggestions you guys have?

Thanks for your help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
https://www.twistedroad.com
Kiwi_Roy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Kiwi_Roy

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working - a few questions   Brake light not working - a few questions Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:58 am

The light (16) you still have includes the stop light
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The two Stop switches (19) & (20)
I don't remember where the switches are, sometimes they use a mechanical switch operated from the lever, other times they are a pressure switch operated by the brake fluid, the front switch should be easy to find, its between the RH lever and the front discs.
When you find a switch you should have 12 Volts on one terminal via Fuse 1 (with key On), the other will only have 12 Volts when you apply a brake.
I think the connectors under the seat at the rear is where I would start looking for a disconnected wire.

BTW, I like the look of your bike with the fender removed and after-market pipe.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working - a few questions   Brake light not working - a few questions Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:39 pm

The back & front brake light switches are both mechanical and totally separate so I agree with Kiwi Roy
Kiwi_Roy wrote:
I think the connectors under the seat at the rear is where I would start looking for a disconnected wire.

Its a thin three pin plug

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working - a few questions   Brake light not working - a few questions Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:12 pm

Front switch is on the handlebar lever perch and has two wires going to it. Rear switch is down by the foot brake lever and as suggested, has a connector that joins to the loom on the RH side under the tailpiece up by the pilots part of the seat.

It's rare for both of the switches to go out together or both become disconnected although obviously not impossible. The culprit is more likely to be either the wiring to the light unit at the rear or the light unit itself. Sadly the light unit is pretty much impossible to disassemble but the actual LED's are unlikely to fail so the problem is most likely in the light unit wiring or plug or the wiring in the loom.
Back to top Go down
rothbard
Carlotto
Carlotto
rothbard

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working - a few questions   Brake light not working - a few questions Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:36 pm

OK - here's an update. I checked all fuses, and nothing was blown. So at that point, I took my bike in to a friend of mine and exceptional Guzzi mechanic, Joe Walano, the Guzzi Doctor (https://www.facebook.com/theguzzidoctor/)

Anyway, the front brake switch had a short, so the system always had the brake lights engaged. It wasn't that the brake lights wouldn't work, but more that the brake lights were always on. When Joe disconnected the front switch, the brake light went back to where it should be (as a tail light with lower brightness) and when he depressed the rear brake lever, the brake light worked properly.

He's getting a replacement part now.

Thanks for all of your help.
Back to top Go down
https://www.twistedroad.com
Dilliw
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Dilliw

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working - a few questions   Brake light not working - a few questions Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:12 pm

I've seen that before on a group ride but can't remember which Guzzi.

I had sprayed some lubricant on my brake lever and some of it must have gotten on my switch.  No light just on hand use.  Luckily Muley had some Deoxit in his kit and we fixed it right up.
Back to top Go down
dominicaiello
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
dominicaiello

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working - a few questions   Brake light not working - a few questions Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:35 am

I had a similar problem. Bought a new taillight unit. Still no light going on. Bought a schematic and had it enlarged to 3' x 4' and tried to trace the problem clearly.
IT WAS THE NEW UNIT!!!! IT WAS WIRED BACKWARDS. BLACK WAS WHITE AND WHITE WAS BLACK!!!

TRY LOOKING AT IT THAT WAY!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brake light not working - a few questions   Brake light not working - a few questions Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Brake light not working - a few questions
Page 1 of 1