GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know....

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know.... Empty
PostSubject: Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know....   Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know.... Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2022 12:08 pm

I recently purchased a liter of Motul 80w -90 gear oil. It has molybdenum additive mixed in. It has a GL- 4 and GL- 5 approval. It has the obvious color of metallic grey from moly additive. Is this product ok for use in the final drive (bevel box) on my GRiSO?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know....   Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know.... Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2022 12:59 pm

It should be but isn't specified. Moly does have a habit of causing scuffing in some RE bearings, given the needle roller at the nose of the pinion is a bit wear prone anyway I probably wouldn't use it as a first choice but I wouldn't die in a ditch over it either....
Back to top Go down
Gootzibird13
Biondino
Biondino
Gootzibird13

PostSubject: Re: Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know....   Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know.... Icon_minitime1Mon May 23, 2022 1:26 pm

Copy that Pete. Wasn't aware there was needle bearings in the pinion. Never went about a complete pinion rebuild before. Just replaced inner and outer roller bearings on one while switching casings. Of which, I learned how to from you by the way....TY Sir
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know....   Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know.... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Gear oil question for Pete or other mechanics in the know....
Page 1 of 1