GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa

Go down 
+2
PilotJet
Bill Hagan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Empty
PostSubject: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:25 am

I am now halfway through a tire change on the rear of the great GRiSO.

That may not sound like much, but it was an epochal event for me.  

Last year, I bought a No Mar tire changer for all the usual reasons, e.g., “Kathi, think how much money I’ll save by doing tire swaps here instead of taking the wheels to a shop!”   cheers

Then, I realized that this was lots harder than the vids made it seem.  At least for me.   Crying or Very sad

I did watch some friends use it here on my tires and theirs, but I was always intimidated.

Then came the inevitable “put up or shut up” … even tho Kathi is too sweet a wife  queen to say what she likely had been thinking about the reality thus far.

On the way to the September 2021 Mutton Run — Mutton Run Sept 2021 — I realized along the way (yes, doh) that I needed a new rear tire on the GRiSO.  Was able to find a (very fine) YamaHonSuzKaw dealer in Lexington, Ky., to do the swap.

They did not have a Michelin Road 4 GT in stock, but did have a Power 4.  OK.  Within a few miles of cording the mounted tire, I was in no position to say anything but, “Yes, please.”  silent

What a stupendous tire that was, at least from a handling perspective.  It made it back from that fall mutton run and, with a few local fun miles after that, also made it to the spring mutton run, Mutton Run May 2022.

But the return from that trip included some very long, multi-mile, high-speed straights in Ohio.  Those made me ache as I knew they were squaring off that magnificent round thing.

It was time to confront my fears and, well, just do it.  N.J. Nick was here to help with the removal, but couldn’t stay to do the R&R.  I think he wanted to “help” me screw up my courage.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mr. Brown delivers the new Road 4 GT.

Time for excuses and sniveling ends; let’s get it off!

Vittoria!

Yes, only half done as, obviously, I need to put the new tire on that rim.  That said, I am pretty pleased that I was able to get that far.  

A set of our grands and kids comes in tomorrow, and I have an air-compressor issue that needs attention before I can seat the bead even if I can mount the tire on the rim.  So, it’ll be a few days before I can get back to that task, but I actually look forward to it.

Oh, time to celebrate another event … Happy Independence Day from the Moto Grappa!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total

Oz1200Guzzi, JohnA, Lash, scottmastrocinque, footgoose, Richard, Leone and like this post

Back to top Go down
PilotJet
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PilotJet

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:39 am

Hi Bill. I've been using my No-Mar for quite a few years now and it gets easier and easier the more tires you do. I Love It and the freedom of being able to mount your own tires cant be matched.

One thing that really helps the most. Get those tires Nice and Hot!! Let them bake in the sun. Put them in the Hot Vehicle .... Mount and Dismount on the Hottest Day of the week. The hotter the tires are, the easier it is. Get that machine out of the AC and into the Hot Sun! Smile

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:48 am

PilotJet wrote:
Hi Bill. I've been using my No-Mar for quite a few years now and it gets easier and easier the more tires you do. I Love It and the freedom of being able to mount your own tires cant be matched.

One thing that really helps the most. Get those tires Nice and Hot!! Let them bake in the sun. Put them in the Hot Vehicle .... Mount and Dismount on the Hottest Day of the week. The hotter the tires are, the easier it is. Get that machine out of the AC and into the Hot Sun! Smile

You are absolutely right!  cheers

I should have added -- tho I am too wordy as it is Rolling Eyes -- that I failed at first attempt to get bead over the rim.  Then recalled one vid that said what a difference that can make.  Bingo.

The machine is going to stay put, but the wheels will get a sunburn before I put them on the No Mar! Very Happy

BTW, in that first attempt I managed to break one of the No Mar tips.  Glad I bought extras.  I now know the self-inflicted wound that caused that, so I expect that to be the last (he says hopefully Wink ).

Thanks for mentioning the sun as an assistant.  

Bill
Back to top Go down
scottmastrocinque
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
scottmastrocinque

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:17 am

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:06 am

Best advice is to use a lot of tyre grease! But you probably already know...
And try to keep the "edge" of the tyre on the opposite side of where your're working, in the middle of the rim... Very Happy

Back to top Go down
scottmastrocinque
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
scottmastrocinque

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:04 am

In all honesty Bill, it’s much easier than most people make it out. It’s really all about technique and process. When I come visit you for Moto Grappa Tech Days, I’ll show you technique that will change everything for the better.

For example, you will never break a tip again because you will never use that much force ever.   Also, when I’m done with you, you could mount a tire left in the snow all night long easy as pie. Heating the tire is completely unnecessary. 😀

👌👍😀

Last edited by scottmastrocinque on Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:17 pm

The gauntlet has been thrown.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
scottmastrocinque
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
scottmastrocinque

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:04 pm

Not at all…Bill knows me better than that.

I mount more tires in a week than most of you have done in your lifetime. No big deal.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:25 am

scottmastrocinque wrote:
Not at all…Bill knows me better than that.

I mount more tires in a week than most of you have done in your lifetime.  No big deal.

Scott, I can count the tires I have mounted in a lifetime on one finger! Rolling Eyes

Actually, upon reflection and this photo ...

... I've haven't done any completely solo yet!  Embarassed  

Frustrated with the GRiSO's tire, I asked Kathi to come down to the Moto Grappa and help by holding the (fornicating) tire place while I ran the bar around the greased bead.  

I had her watch a Y/T vid first so she would understand what was at play.

Then, based on the video, she made an (annoying) suggestion about a point that I had missed in my haste and now, naturally, didn't want to hear because she had caught it.

This also illustrates why she is, e.g., a better shot than I am: she listens to instructions by those who know how to do something instead of thinking, as I do, "I can do that; let's go."  bounce  

On the bright side, I think I can now do this all by my lonesome, but it was humbling to have my Polish Princess & Perfect Pillion point out a step I had missed.   Wink

Anyway, Scott, as you note, you can conduct a tire-mounting seminar at the next Moto Grappa Tech Days.   cheers

Heck, Kathi -- who usually leaves town for good reason during those bench-racing and belching events, might stick around to listen.   queen

Bill

Steak, scottmastrocinque and SMTCapeCod like this post

Back to top Go down
scottmastrocinque
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
scottmastrocinque

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:58 am

She’s definitely a Peach and you are a good man Sir!

We will have fun!

Did I also mention that I was raised by my Italian mother and grandmother, and literally tied to their apron strings?  I can operate a kitchen better than I can anything else.

You will want to lend me access to yours…

😀

Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:03 pm

Only 6 posts and I already love this guy!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special

Bill Hagan and scottmastrocinque like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:35 am

Steak wrote:

But keep in mind, he's one of those people who associate with Bill. Just say'n..... Shocked

Oz1200Guzzi, Bill Hagan and scottmastrocinque like this post

Back to top Go down
scottmastrocinque
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
scottmastrocinque

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:38 am

rick pope wrote:
Steak wrote:

But keep in mind, he's one of those people who associate with Bill.  Just say'n..... Shocked

It an honor that someone of his character would even give someone like me, the time of the day.

Oz1200Guzzi likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:07 pm

I've only met Bill once, but would agree that he's a "character."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa   No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

No Mar Tears in the Moto Grappa
Page 1 of 1