GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

shock replacement query

Go down 
+2
paulbrice
Pawel Spoon
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

shock replacement query Empty
PostSubject: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:18 pm

Hi
wanted to replace original shock with the one from stelvio:

i got stuck in the middle of putting all together
i took out original shock, greased the swingarm bearing and am now failing in putting it all together.
to whom who ever did replace the original shock with an stelvio shock:
did you also replaced the bellcrank
i hope that is real english Smile
the piece with 3 holes in it that hold the shock the swingarm and ..
thanks !

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:04 pm

No, I can switch between Matris/Original/Stelvio shock on mine without changing anything else.....but it looks like you disconnected the CARC box connection to the Torque rod arm - why ?? (because that won't help alignment of suspension bits)

If anything the only 'tricky bit' is to fiddle about with swing arm position so that the dog bone/three-way block bobbin bolts line up with the shock installed.
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:23 pm

i remove the carc cause the wheel would not go enough down to allow me to connect the 3 piece/3 way block
but now the connection rod feels too short even when i sit on the bike ?!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:28 pm

The reactive bridge moves in the bevelbox. Just push it over and stick the bolt in.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:51 pm

On mine i had to fully extend the suspension to fit the Stelvio shock. It was right at the lower limit of the suspension movement and it required a bit of jiggling.
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:24 pm

ok, i did open the bottom again, carc rod is in.
but in what order to put it together ?
do you put the spring under pressure and if how ?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:43 pm

Drop the shock absorber in from the left.
Then loosely mount it by the top bolt,

Attach the triangle plate with 3 bearings to the shock absorber then the swing arm and torque those bolts up.

Then lastly swing the forked link back to line up with its hole in the triangle plate, use a jack to lift the swing arm until the holes line up. Then torque up that bolt and the shock absorber top bolt
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:51 pm

Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:54 pm

I will try your order now
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:24 pm

whatever i do i need 1-2 cm. i have tried to pressurize the spring, but failed here too, managed <1 cm
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:30 pm

with brute force i've managed

Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:32 pm

final question: Very Happy
the torque on swingarm, there is the rod with the inner-6th and the funny outer nut, that would require a special nut
i coud not find that detail in my manual.
can somebody help me ?
thanks ?
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:06 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
The reactive bridge moves in the bevelbox. Just push it over and stick the bolt in.

tried that and failed.
tried even with lashing strap and failed
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:11 pm

today is not my day.
so now that all is done, i start engine, put in first gear and a super loud gravel noise comes out

when i recap:
i have moved the swingarm to check and grease the bearings.
did i  fuck up something during mounting ?

now it took me 4,5 hrs to get it all together
is there an easier ways to check the cardan ?

- remove tyre
- remove drive train oil
- separate swing arm
- check kardan
- put it all together
- done ?

the fact that reactive bridge does not move seems also strange. can i ignore it for now ?
if the rod does not move in the box, it would end in super hard chassis or and then i still have this funny noise sometime when i leave the cllutch, where someone said it could come from the carc rod ..
Back to top Go down
orngm2
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
orngm2

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:46 pm

Does the bike move freely when in nuetral?
Does if move freely in gear with the clutch pulled in?
Did you pull thr bev3l box off?
DO NOT ride the bike until you figure out what's wrong
Back to top Go down
orngm2
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
orngm2

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:49 pm

Pawel Spoon wrote:
today is not my day.
so now that all is done, i start engine, put in first gear and a super loud gravel noise comes out

when i recap:
i have moved the swingarm to check and grease the bearings.
did i  fuck up something during mounting ?

now it took me 4,5 hrs to get it all together
is there an easier ways to check the cardan ?

- remove tyre
- remove drive train oil
- separate swing arm
- check kardan
- put it all together
- done ?

the fact that reactive bridge does not move seems also strange. can i ignore it for now ?
if the rod does not move in the box, it would end in super hard chassis or and then i still have this funny noise sometime when i leave the cllutch, where someone said it could come from the carc rod ..

If you had to force ANYTHING to line up then something is wrong
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:10 pm

orngm2 wrote:

Does the bike move freely when in nuetral?
Does if move freely in gear with the clutch pulled in?

If it makes any mechanical noise when the rear wheel is rotated or it rolled in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in...
It needs to come apart again - sorry
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:22 pm

I have no idea what you have done but it's not right. Did you separate the bevelbox off the swingarm when you removed the swingarm?
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:01 pm

What happened: when i moved the swingarm.to grease the bearings, the kardan disconnected within the swingarm.
i ofcourse didnt knew, when i put the swinarm in, the cardan was disconncted from the drive and that was the noise.
bike would actually not move as kardan rotated freely in the swingarm.
what i also learned, you do not need to drain oil when taking the swingarm apart, as there is none in the middle part.
after connecting kardan and.putting back together swingarm, the rot in the box would.move freely. Kardan obviously blocked that movement.

here its where it got loose

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:02 pm

All.works now but speedo
LOL what a day

lcjohnny and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:06 pm

thanks for.the hints, the stucked rod in bevelbox should have told me. But i never even touched that before, so didi not knew how easy it.should actually move

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:39 am

Look, Pawel, with the greatest of respect did you do any research before you decided to perform this task? Did you look at exploded diagrams of the swingarm and bevelbox? Read the manual, (Although in the case of removing the swingarm it isnt exactly brilliant or helpful!) or even search previous threads here on the Ghetto?

Thing is many people have removed and replaced their swingarms and bevelboxes, greased and replaced bearings and in many cases listed things that they have seen as traps and pitfalls when carrying out the process. Likewise swapping shocks and numerous other mundane service tasks that need to be undertaken from time to time.

As it is you have damaged the seal carrier of the bevelbox and may also, by your attempts to force things that shouldn't need to be forced, of damaged the swingarm itself. I hope not, for your sake, as if the swingarm, a very light alloy casting designed to take stress in a certain way, does fail? Well the back wheel falls off! This is not, as you can image, a good thing if you are riding.

It has been mentioned both here and elsewhere, several times, that removal of the swingarm is best achieved by first removing the bevelbox. The cardan shaft is held onto the gearbox output shaft by a circlip. Unless the cardan is popped off the gearbox output shaft before the swingarm and bevelbox assembly is slid backwards then surely it is obvious that the back yoke of the shaft is going to slip off the splines of the pinion in the bevelbox and having done so will be virtually impossible to realign so that it will slip back on as the assembly is moved forward for re-installation.

I'm sorry but this is to me blindingly obvious. Just as it was similarly blindingly obvious that it was much easier and in fact pretty damn near necessary the first time I pulled the swingarm off my first Moto Guzzi some forty something years ago!

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for people getting familiar with and working on their own machines but please, if you are going to embark on something as critical to safety as buggering about with the suspension and driveline to The rear wheel it really behoves you to do some reading and ask questions before you start.

As for the non working speedo? Did you remove the pick-up from the bevelbox before pulling the swingarm assembly rearwards?
Back to top Go down
Pawel Spoon
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Pawel Spoon

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:19 am

Hi Pete, i did read a german garage manual. There was nothing about taking down bevelbox literally no detail.
i did look at the thread here with pics, dont remember saying anything bout the bevelbox. I did download the attched docs, i have to confess i did read only the first third. I have isues with the endlish words for techncal parts. I did look up youtube but janguzzi video does not show a lot and there was nothing else online.
that was my preparation.

obviously not good enoug.
P
Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:55 am

lcjohnny wrote:
Drop the shock absorber in from the left.
Then loosely mount it by the top bolt,

Attach the triangle plate with 3 bearings to the shock absorber then the swing arm and torque those bolts up.

Then lastly swing the forked link back to line up with its hole in the triangle plate, use a jack to lift the swing arm until the holes line up. Then torque up that bolt and the shock absorber top bolt

This is EXACTLY how I do it...just for the benefit of anyone planning to do this in the future...

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shock replacement query   shock replacement query Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

shock replacement query
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next