GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Bent brake lever?

Go down 
+3
rick pope
beetle
littlebuddha
7 posters
AuthorMessage
littlebuddha
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
littlebuddha

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:43 am

Hi guys, I recently got myself a used 2013 GRiSO (finally). Been trying to get myself used to riding the bike! The brake lever is very difficult to get to - (the bike does come with lowered knight foot pegs). It has been laid done on the side so I'm wondering if the brake pedal has been replaced or does it have a slight bend? I can't quite tell if this is normal for the GRiSO - I do have an extended footpeg from AF1 but want to make sure I don't need to replace the pedal as well. Does this look similar to your bikes?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more to ask regarding the GRiSO in the future but starting with the simple/small stuff first! Thanks in advance.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:59 am

That's bent. They can be straightened with some heat and gentle persuasion.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

littlebuddha likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:01 am

It does appear to be bent. Long story short, mine got heated too hot when trying to straighten it. If I recall correctly, a felt tip marker's line on the affected area will disappear when the proper temp is achieve for straightening.

BUT, I advise you to wait until someone who actually knows chimes in.

littlebuddha likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:34 am

Full disclosure. I also straightened mine once (yes, I bent it many times) without heat. I just clamped it, put a big-arse 15" shifter on the end and yelled "by the power of Guzzi"* as I reefed on the shifter.

* I may not have actually said that.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 am

You can try straightening it with a bit of heat but don't try and bend it on the bike! The pivot pin it moves on is retained in the footrest hanger plate by a 6mm thread. Unless you are really lucky it will just snap the threaded part off in the plate opening up another can of worms.

RedMogAndy and littlebuddha like this post

Back to top Go down
littlebuddha
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
littlebuddha

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:53 pm

Thanks guys I'll see if the extended lever helps otherwise will just buy a new lever - its "only" around 70 dollars from ebay at the moment. Will straighten the bent one and keep it as a spare for the inevitable fall when it comes... Smile
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:25 am

If the new lever looks bent when you put it on...

That is because the pivot pin that Pete mentioned is already bent

paulbrice likes this post

Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:12 pm

Mine is bent like that too after a drop some years ago. It still works, and I hardy use the rear brake anyway so I just leave it like that. It's like a scar of pride that doesn't really affect the looks of the bike.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In a way it's actually better bent as I'm less likely to accidentally touch the brake lever with my foot now.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:41 pm

Just want to amplify the bit about the pivot pin. Whenever the clutch or brake pedal gets bent that much, it is only a matter of time until that pivot pin will shear off, usually at a most inopportune time.

They are inexpensive. Buy a few of them.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
littlebuddha
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
littlebuddha

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 pm

Steak wrote:
Just want to amplify the bit about the pivot pin.  Whenever the clutch or brake pedal gets bent that much, it is only a matter of time until that pivot pin will shear off, usually at a most inopportune time.

They are inexpensive.  Buy a few of them.

Thank you sir, is this what you are referring to? I'll pick up one along with an extra lever just in case to do the swap.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:23 pm

Yup, that's the one. It's sealed with an o-ring as well so don't loose it as you take it out although the o-ring is nothing special. It's just there to hold the grease in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bent brake lever? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bent brake lever?   Bent brake lever? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Bent brake lever?
Page 1 of 1