GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Dusted by Dust Cover

Go down 
+7
Chris W
rick pope
beetle
bioman
lcjohnny
Pete Roper
Bill Hagan
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Dusted by Dust Cover Empty
PostSubject: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:25 pm

Color me stoooopid.   pig

I was pretty pleased with myself after putting on a new rear tire.  cheers

I got distracted — code for "Kathi’s List”  queen — and just now got back to the GRiSO, intending to give it a good cleaning before its next road trip in early September.

Reinstalling the wheel was, I thought, the easy part.  And, it was.

Doing that with all the parts as in this case, the dust cover?  Uhm.  Not so much.   No

In the course of putting away tools from that job a couple of weeks ago, I found this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Number 9 in this parts pic:

Embarassed

So, yes, of course, I can pull the wheel and reinstall with said dust cover.

Unfortunately, in addition to being subject brain cramps such as this, I am also lazy.  Recall the weeks to clean up tools.  Rolling Eyes

So … is this essential, or will it wait for next tire swap?

Be kind.   Wink

Grazie.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:06 pm

It was added very early in the life of the CARC bikes Bill. I believe to prevent damage to the seal on the bevelbox. While I never saw a seal fail on the early bikes due to the lack of it there was actually a recall for its installation on those models sold without it which would seem to infer that the factory viewed it as pretty important.

I'd bite the bullet and put it in.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:20 pm

Thanks, Pete.

I actually “disliked” rather than “liked” the bottom line, but I am always grateful to get answers from those who know!

Many thanks as always,

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:08 am

So, based on Pete’s “You’ll die if you don’t” counsel last evening, I pulled off the [expletive deleted] rear wheel and put the dust cover in place.

I was so happy until then, what with the new tire mounted and rides planned.

At least Peter Youngblood had made it easier for folks like me with his hub pin …   cheers

Note new brake pads.

In the course, however, of this reprise, I saw this.  Yikes!  

Yup.  The speed-sensor cable.

As Pete says now and then — and I apparently fit the profile — some people should not be allowed to wrench machines.  Evil or Very Mad

Sigh. Sad

Anyway, that doesn’t look like that can be sliced and spliced by anyone, much less the likes of me.

So, I ordered a new one.  Delivered for $65 USD.  Might get here in a month.

I also managed to round out one of the sensor's fasteners.

Lordy, so now I’ll get play with the dremel — which is almost always exciting for me and the bleachers crowd — to slot it for a screwdriver.

Even more fun will be to figure out the sensor cable routing to wherever it goes and see if I can do that.  I may charge admission for that circus.   jocolor  clown

Then I’ll have to buy a different color of nail polish for the 110Nm witness marks in the hub!  

And, in the meantime, the Great GRiSO will take up lift space while it waits for parts … and prays for someone competent to do the fixes.

Bill

Steak likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:27 am

Feel for you

I am haunted by a malignant and mechanically inept ghost he has been with me a long time and is a right b'stard. As i get more experience he finds more technical ways of F*$%ing me about.

If i turn round very quickly i may see him just behind me - doing all the bad stuff and losing the last collet!

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:05 am

And I see that all that time, while you were sweating and cursing, your exhaust pipe is taking it easy in your very comfy chair!

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:45 am

bioman wrote:
And I see that all that time, while you were sweating and cursing, your exhaust pipe is taking it easy in your very comfy chair!

Yes … and no.

On the lift, it’s really not a big chore to pull the wheel without removing the exhaust can.

In this instance, however, I decided to make sure it was easy to see what I was doing, so off it came.

It’s still resting there!

Bill
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:31 am

Hmmmmmm.

Maybe I can splice those. cheers

Not much slack in cable, but will see if I can join them — maybe even double-spliced with three new sections — and shrink-wrap over all of them.  

Yes, hope springs eternal.  Even if hope isn't a method, it keeps me from giving up … until the parts get here. Wink

Bill

Steak, lcjohnny and Buellbloke like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:36 pm

Solder & heat shrink, Bill. You can do it!

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny and BowraBoy like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:53 pm

beetle wrote:

Solder & heat shrink, Bill. You can do it!

cheers

Appreciate your confidence, Mark ... tho I am suspicious you are just looking for entertainment.  cheers

I know that no one really cares about my messed up speed sensor cable, tho I do appreciate the cheerleading next above.

Some might care as they cannot believe anyone would have gotten themselves into such a cluster-fornicate.

They will be even more appalled by my “fix” today.  They may be right, because the jury is still out on the issue of the cable working.  

Moreover, even if it does, some in the “appalled” set will look with disdain on the appearance of what I did.  They, too, are right.  

Contrary to the wise counsel about soldering — that I did not see until I was done — I only used crimp connectors.  That led to needing an oversized shrink wrap tube, that, in turn, led to a poor cover as a result of my otherwise poor "shrinking skills.”   I added some electrical tape at the ends, but doubt that did much more sealing, and it looks pretty "National Guard" route step. Rolling Eyes

I may take all off now and start from scratch, tho my soldering skill set is perched a few tiers below that of shrink wrapping!

Be all of that as it may, here are the pix that will save many more TLDR words as to the present situation:

I will ask of those who might know if there is a way to test the connectivity of the splicing without running it down the road?

Thanks.

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:04 pm

Your posts of your alleged wrenching disability are always humerus (that's iPad autocorrect. I left it in), but I was being quite serious.

It doth pain me to say your..er..fix..is quite the kludge. Also displeasing to the eye.

Wheel raised off the lift. Key on..spin wheel. Look at speedo.

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:27 pm

beetle wrote:

Your posts of your alleged wrenching disability are always humerus (that's iPad autocorrect. I left it in), but I was being quite serious.

It doth pain me to say your..er..fix..is quite the kludge. Also displeasing to the eye.

Wheel raised off the lift. Key on..spin wheel. Look at speedo.

cheers

Sigh.  It is true.   Embarassed  

I read once that injustice is relatively easy to bear; it is justice that stings.   Sad

Thanks on how to check.

Bill
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:07 pm

Bill, I gotta agree with Beetle on this. Take it all apart and do it right. I was half way to your place this morning. I could have come over and made it even worse.

Bill Hagan and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:26 am

Bill - you get an "A" for effort!
as long as it works and you didn't break anything else, it's a win win! Thumbs Up

Bill Hagan, JohnA and BowraBoy like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:45 am

Bill,
I don’t know if it will make you feel better but a while back I got new front turn signals. I was bound and determined to solder them in. I bought a soldering iron and two sizes of solder…… I think I got one done and shrink wrapped and used the connectors like yours on the second cause I was suspect of the shi- job I did on the first one. I could maybe be better at soldering if it was in a workbench like all the guys on the YouTube videos I watched. Soldering looks easy but so does welding by someone that’s good at it.

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:18 am

Soldering is easy.  It's remembering to put the heat shrink on that gets me in trouble.

Steak and Bill Hagan like this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:36 am

rick pope wrote:
Soldering is easy.  It's remembering to put the heat shrink on that gets me in trouble.

First, how close to the Moto Grappa did you get?   cheers

WRT soldering, as JohnA says, so is welding.  Right. Evil or Very Mad

I, too, have forgotten to have the shrink tube waiting "down wire" while I did my shixxy soldering mess.  Rolling Eyes

That leads to a question for the cognoscenti.  I have tried and failed with this, but maybe, as is so often the case, I am missing something blindingly obvious to all.  

So ... is there a way -- after splicing wires after forgetting to install the tube beforehand -- to slice said tube and shrink it?  

As I said, I have failed at that, but have thought that it might work of I took a slightly oversized tube, cut it down its length in place with some overlap, taped the ends, heated the middle to seal, then pulled the end tape and shrank those.  

Might that work?  Other ways?

Grazie,

Bill
Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:29 am

Bill, you should really start writing short stories or novels. Your mastery of the written word is incredible.

But back to the topic of the broken speedo sensor cable: I am more of the 'as long as it works, it works'-type. And I have only bad experiences with soldering. So my advise is to just keep it on the bike including shrink tubes and all until your newly ordered cable arrives, and then replace it. Or is this too simple?

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:31 pm

Bill, I was in New Metamoras several times and Sisterville once. Stayed in Marietta 5 nights.

If you're not comfortable soldering, bioman's advice makes a lot of sense.

Back to top Go down
Clancy
Nibbio
Nibbio
Clancy

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:56 pm

Bill Hagan wrote:

So ... is there a way -- after splicing wires after forgetting to install the tube beforehand -- to slice said tube and shrink it?  

Might that work?  Other ways?

Liquid Electrical Tape

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:45 am

Thanks to all.

I have now watched more y/t vids about soldering than I thought even existed, which, of course, means I know even less than I did when I started.  Shocked

Off to Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon now for a few nights with Kathi.   queen I intend to think not a moment about speed sensor cable woes.  Wink

I'll try some of those techniques when I get back ... and then, most likely, study about R&R'ing the new cable.   cheers

Bill

bjor likes this post

Back to top Go down
eighteight
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eighteight

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:30 am

Get the Haisstronica ( or similar ) connector set

All in one , solder , retaining crimps and shrink wrap

Wave a cheap heat gun at it and you`re done !

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:15 am

eighteight wrote:
Get the Haisstronica  ( or similar ) connector set

All in one , solder , retaining crimps and shrink wrap

Wave a cheap heat gun at it and you`re done !

THAT is fornicating brilliant.

Had never heard of those.

About to get this set: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Yes, more than I need, but I am always mucking up anything electrical I touch.  Rolling Eyes

Many thanks.

Bill

EDITED TO ADD: I remain a bit confused as to why one would need their crimper given the heat shrink over the soldered splice.  Also unsure if, given motorcycling's rainy days, whether "marine grade" better choice.  And, hmmmmm. This smaller MG would probably do just fine: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks.  bh
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:19 pm

Bill, be very careful with your heat source. A Bic lighter can scorch/burn the insulation. (Don't ask....)

I'd try a heat gun first.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:07 pm

rick pope wrote:
Bill, be very careful with your heat source.  A Bic lighter can scorch/burn the insulation. (Don't ask....)

I'd try a heat gun first.

Good counsel.

I suppose, then, you might think my plan was a bit over the top?  

cheers

Seriously, I have mostly used one of these for shrink tubing ...

... but it's been pretty C- WRT success, and I don't mean just ugly as in the present instance.

In the meantime, I cancelled my order with AF1 for the new cable.  When I ordered it (for c.$65 plus shipping), the website said -- yes, with the usual disclaimers -- that it would be shipped in early September.  After I ordered it, that became "late October."  MGCycle had the same item for only $37 plus shipping, but, it, too, was out of stock.

I then checked with N.J. Nick, who's at his home in Italy for a few months.  He got back to me almost instantly after calling his local dealer.  Had 'em, but for 88 EU, plus extravagant $hipping!  Hmmmm.

Decided to just bite the cheapest bullet, and ordered from MGCycle.  Today, the part's in stock! cheers

Odd, but I'm hardly complaining.  Should get it next week.

Ah, but in the meantime, I will also order those solder AND shrink Haisstronica bits @eighteight recommended and try to a better job -- as in works! -- and prettier -- to make @beetle happier.  clown As a fall-back -- and just because it sounded interesting for other applications -- also getting some of that liquid electrical tape @Clancy suggested.

Today, I managed to get that rounded-out fastener out of the sensor at the CARC.  Dremel tools are great.  Put a slot in the corroded socket cap screw and flat-bladed it out.  Had ordered some super anti-corrosive 4mm x 10mm replacements that came in a day from (that amazing source) McMaster-Carr.

Time is tight.  Company's coming, Kathi's in a high hover to have things in order when she leaves Friday for two weeks in Seattle, and my higher moto-priority is R&R'ing the V7 III's rear tire.  Still, would like to see if I can heal this self-inflicted wound and have the great GRiSO ready for the SSR -- South’n Spine Raid-2022/ -- or, failing that, the fall Mutton Run at the end of next month.

Bill

footgoose and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dusted by Dust Cover   Dusted by Dust Cover Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dusted by Dust Cover
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next