- scottmastrocinque wrote:
I’m shocked and heartbroken.
You know how to get me. I’m sure I’m still in your contacts list in your phone.
You cannot use flame on those types of “all in one” connectors. (I have thousands in my kits at the workshop so if you need anything more…)
So, in truth, you need to spend a few pesos more, ~ $50 and get a hot air rework station.
That is how you properly use those lovely connectors. Using one of the air concentrating tips will allow you to direct with precision, the pinpoint stream of (completely controllable temperature) hot air which will melt the solder ring and seal the tube without destroying it in the process or superheating surrounding tidbits.
A rework station also allows you precise shrinking of shrink tube.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Almost spewed my morning coffee at your "shocked and heartbroken."
I had no idea about that particular item. Thanks. It will now join my other tools when competent wrenching artists visit the Moto Grappa studio.
If it helps, the propane torch was meant as a joke for Rick Pope; I used a heat gun for the Haisstronica connectors.
I suppose, however, I should, for those with strong stomachs who can endure graphic photos of my "work," continue with the latest saga here.
So, after stripping the first lamentable effort, and practicing on a scrap wire …[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I went for it on the sensor cable. I tried to protect the other connectors from “collateral damage,” and that (more or less!) succeeded ...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The end result exceeded my low expectations and even lower standards. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ditto the overwrap, tho I know how painful it must be for the sensitive even to see such 7th-grade-shop work. Bear in mind that I actualy did flunk 7th-grade shop for a shadow-box failure that embarrasses me even to today. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
That said, while hardly moto-art, it looks (a wee) bit better than the first try it replaced; scroll up if you care to see that ...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
And, despite some shortening of the cable length, it still had enough slack to reconnect to its fitting.
Sourced some very corrosion-resistant fasteners from McMaster-Carr to replace the (hardly that) OEM that it took a Dremel to remove. I now have 48 more of those for anyone in dire need of "Super-Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, M4 x 0.7 mm Thread, 10 mm Long, Packs of 50." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I then reinstalled the wheel. I need to steal some different colors of fingernail polish from Kathi’s so I can figure out my latest witness marks! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ah, but the tsetse fly in the ointment … [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yes. Stripped the calipers upper mounting threads! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I always — as in ALWAYS, 100% of the time — use a torque wrench to install and tighten those fasteners to 50Nm, so it is a mystery to me how that happened. Then again, so much of what happens in the Moto Grappa is a moto-mystery to me.
I will now have to see about repairing those threads and see if I can’t muck up that, too.
On what I think is the bright side, USPS just texted me to say that the new cable will be in the mailbox today.
No charge for the entertainment I just provided the rest of you who groan as you read my tragicomedies.
Actually, my higher priority is R&R'ing the rear tire on the V7 III as I (now) plan to take that to the South'n Spine Raid in Tennessee next week.
Ciao for now ...