GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Banging on about throttlebodies......

Go down 
+10
OldMojo
Guzzi Cat
eighteight
lcjohnny
MrBob
beetle
moto
JohnA
bjor
Pete Roper
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:53 am

Then I won't use it!

I'll go the other way. Buy a dedicated cleaner for MAF sensors and hope it also cleans the throttle body well enough...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tried to find this one, but seems to be unavailable in Norway:

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
MrBob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
MrBob

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:48 am

CRC also has this product, which seems to tick all the boxes.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 am

Thanks and yes I've seen it, but can't find it here in Norway, - for some reason...

I just found an unverified quote saying "Yes, you can use a MAF cleaner on a throttle body, but you cannot use throttle body cleaner on a MAF. The MAFs are very particular. If you use the wrong kind of cleaner on the MAF sensor and it leaves a residue, it can burn a little wire if it's a hot-wire MAF sensor."

This quote does not disqualify the CRC tbc, but indicates that a MAF cleaner might work on the intake. And MAF cleaners I can find here Smile
Back to top Go down
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:16 pm

There is no such thing as “MAF safe throttle body cleaner”.. You can find MAF sensor cleaner OR Throttle Body cleaner. Would a MAF sensor cleaner efficiently clean the mechanical part of your throttle body? Maybe...
Knowing the GRiSO doesn’t have a MAF sensor, would a regular throttle body cleaner be harmful to the TPS? Would removing the TPS prior to using a throttle body cleaner be ok?
It would be useful to hear from the folks that have done this cleaning procedure successfully to know what product they used and how they went about it.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:32 pm

I took my throttle bodies off
disconnected the tubes from the stepper motor controlled airbleed
took out the brass airscrews and used carburettor cleaner with a thin pipe brish and cocktail sticks to clean out the gum from the drillings.

However if you just want to spray some solvent into the airbox in the hope that it may go somewhere useful...
then at the same time as you remove the airfilter you can remove the GRiSO hot-wire MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) from the top of the airbox before you spray in the ether or after shave
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:56 pm

lcjohnny wrote:

However if you just want to spray some solvent into the airbox in the hope that it may go somewhere useful...
then at the same time as you remove the airfilter you can remove the GRiSO hot-wire MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) from the top of the airbox before you spray in the ether or after shave

What drugs are you on?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

kindoy2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Speedfrog
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Speedfrog

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:18 pm

Thanks lcjohnny, I think removing the throttle bodies to clean them on the bench would yield the best results. Removing all electronic components before using TB cleaner evidently seems like safe insurance not to "fuckemup".
There is no MAF sensor on a GRiSO afaik, but there is an air temperature sensor in the airbox which might be sensitive to solvent based cleaner.

I must admit, I'm a greenhorn as far as CARC mechanics but not to all mechanical things and I'm eager to learn to take care of my bike the best I can.
Shared knowledge is a beautiful thing and I have been lurking(learning) here on this forum for quite some time and if there is one thing I learned, there is no more generous person in the Guzzi world to share their knowledge and expertise than Pete Roper and when Mr Roper writes about the importance of cleaning and maintaining your TB, you pay attention.

Obviously, not everyone wanting to undertake such maintenance for the first time is confident about procedures and products involved, hence some simple questions to which the answers might seem evident to the experienced but road blocks to the novice. Isn't that what machine specific forums are all about?

So I guess I'll ask again to all the knowledgable folks out there for the interests of the uninitiated:
_ What product do you use and recommend to clean TB's?
_ What is the best way to go about this cleaning procedure?

Looking forward to more useful answers... TIA

lcjohnny and bjor like this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Dee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Bill Dee

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:59 am

Would you guys please name some products that are safe to use ?

Speedfrog likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:44 pm

beetle wrote:
What drugs are you on?
Only alcohol and caffeine

I thought the temp sensor on top of the airbox acted as a hot wire MAF? jocolor - does it just read intake temp study ?

If it just reads temp then how does the ECU calculate fuel to air?

Surely it can't be a guess (look up table) from the throttle plate angle? affraid
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:47 pm

I woke up this morning and, to avoid cleaning up the battlefield and shooting the wounded of a Thanksgiving gathering involving three of our grand hellions, decided to check out some Guzzi forums.

Then, having seen this thread but not previously having the interest to read it, just started at the top and plowed through.

As a confirmed "shaved ape and Harry-home-tune type," I now sit here suitably depressed.  

On the bright side, I have an excuse to leave the house and its mess to Kathi and wander down to the Moto Grappa to see what evil lurks in my inventory of "That Looks Good, So I'll Buy It" shelves of various solvents.

Actually, I am less concerned about my GRiSO in this regard -- an admission of how often I've cleaned its TB's -- than the V7's with what I understand to be their integrated ECU's and TB's.

$igh.

Bill

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:57 pm

I use good ole carb cleaner becouse there is none of that sensor crap in a GRiSO TB.
All bullshit in my eyes.
I do this every 10K miles on the EV, and still use the original TPS I set in 07 and it's still perfect.
I don't take anything apart but airscrews out & use a bent tooth brush.
If you want to be real lazy just do the airscrews AND clean the hole.

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:30 pm

lcjohnny wrote:

I thought the temp sensor on top of the airbox acted as a hot wire MAF? jocolor  - does it just read intake temp study ?

Yes, it's just a simple temperature sensor.

Quote :

If it just reads temp then how does the ECU calculate fuel to air?

Surely it can't be a guess (look up table) from the throttle plate angle? affraid

That's exactly how it works. Lookup tables. That's why touching the sacred screw is a no-no. It's set on a flow bench in the factory. The flow rate is thusly known, and lookup tables are all that is required.

cheers

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:46 pm

Omg
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:05 pm

Yup, it's a very simple system and if you don't screw about with it it works well. There is an air pressure sensor in the dash and intake air temp allows the ecu to use the tables to establish density.

The 1400's I believe do use a MAF sensor of some sort, (Mark?' In the plenum but the W5AM is really stone axe simple.

This is though why keeping up with TB maintenance is so important.

lcjohnny and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:54 am

Pete Roper wrote:

The 1400's I believe do use a MAF sensor of some sort, (Mark?' In the plenum but the W5AM is really stone axe simple.

MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor in Guzzi's with the 7SM/MIUG/11MP ECU. Cali/V7I-II-III-850/V85.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:43 am

I stand corrected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Banging on about throttlebodies......   Banging on about throttlebodies...... - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Banging on about throttlebodies......
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2