GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Empty
PostSubject: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:29 pm

Having read through the informative original thread and watching the excellent video on CARC throttlebodies, I had some questions about the throttlebody setup on my newly acquired 2011 V7 with the dual units.
This bike has the 15RC ECU and a TPS that is non slotted unlike the units on the big block Guzzis using the 15M and 15RC ECUs.
The adjustment for the V7 TPS is in Guzzidiag using reset TPS.
My question is are these throttlebodies setup from the factory with the sacred screw that should never be altered like the CARC ones?
There is no idle air control valve like on the CARCs. Is the idle adjustment limited to the air bleed screws?
My bike has all the yellow paint intact and runs and idles fine so it appears unmolested. It is a little hard to start but once started it runs great.
I am just asking to have a greater understanding of the setup and tuning for the twin throttlebody small blocks.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:30 pm

You may well get an answer from some of the smart folks here -- a class I can only aspire to join  Crying or Very sad -- but if you don't get something responsive, you might give this thread on ADVRider a try:

V7 Chatter

Bill
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:40 pm

They are set up just like a CalVin. Balance them on big end w/screws closed, open for idle balance. I keep them close to 3/4 turn open depending on rpm & idle mixture.
If you shut off O2's you can use trim to for mixture.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:46 pm

Thanks for the link Bill. That is one voluminous thread, almost 21000 posts. I'll have to settle in for a long night to read through that.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:06 pm

Steve seems to have answered your question here.  cheers

But, yes, the ADVR V7 thread has a poor signal-to-noise ratio -- for which I am not sinless Embarassed -- but the search function should get you to any particular issue within it.

Bill
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:26 pm

GuzziSteve wrote:
They are set up just like a CalVin. Balance them on big end w/screws closed, open for idle balance. I keep them close to 3/4 turn open depending on rpm & idle mixture.
If you shut off O2's you can use trim to for mixture.
Didn't the CalVin use the adjustable TPS where you could back off the throttle stop screw to set the base TPS value with the butterfly completely closed?
It seems to me that the V7 is more similar to the CARC setup with no adjustable measurable setting with a DVOM and just a reset in software through Guzzi Diag.
I did shut off the O2 and adjusted the trim, currently at +3.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:40 pm

Auto reset on everything 05 on Starting w/B11, CalVin followed suit no slotted tps electro magic.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:44 pm

Hey, want a Cal Black Eagle, only 2K mi CHEAP $5,000

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That will be gone soon, wish I had $
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:00 pm

That does look like a possibly good deal on the black eagle.

I guess I need to rephrase my question. What makes the V7 with a software resettable TPS different than those on the CARCs? Are they set up the same from the factory with a flow bench to get the basic TPS setting? If the throttle stop screw is messed with how is the base butterfly opening calibrated to the TPS value the ECU needs to fuel properly? I want to understand the theory of operation and calibration as well as how or why to reset, balance etc.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:27 pm

Quote :
My question is are these throttlebodies setup from the factory with the sacred screw that should never be altered like the CARC ones?

I'll be succinct: Yes.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:45 pm

To do the twin TB V7's is similar, but not identical, to the CARC bikes. No, don't touch the stop screw.

Close both air bleeds once the engine is warmed up, it will probably idle low. Balance at 3,500-4,000rpm with the bell crank screw. Kill engine with kill switch. Make sure both the fast idle lever and twistgrip are fully released. Recalibrate TPS. Restart motor and both balance and set idle speed by opening the air bleeds. I tend to aim for a slightly higher idle speed than the factory recommend. I think they say 1,250? I tend to go for about 1,400. Why? Greater oil delivery.

Oh, and as Steve says, if you turn off the lambda you can also trim the fuel manually with the CO function.
Back to top Go down
antmanbee
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
antmanbee

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:19 am

Thanks all, I had assumed that they were similar to the CARCs and thus not to mess with the sacred screw. But I wanted to verify this and know that most of what I knew  also applies.
I appreciate the detailed steps for adjusting them.
The bike has a bit under 4K miles but had been sitting for a few years or more.
I had to go through and replace the fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel filter and hoses and the plastic elbow and fuel line release coupling.
The bike takes a few cranks to get it started, unlike all my other injected Guzzis that start first crank, but once started it runs like a champ. Smooth at all RPMs and pulls easily up to 7K RPM.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:47 am

The 15RC in the V7 Classic has one of the best factory maps. Usually, a throttle body balance is all they need to run really well.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies   More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

More banging on about throttlebodies... but for V7 twin throttlebodies
Page 1 of 1