GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!

Go down 
+2
kiwi dave
Grisobaby08
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Grisobaby08
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Grisobaby08

Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:00 pm

Arrived home after work and done a walkaround inspection of the GRiSO as i have only owned it for past 2 weeks (love it), noticed adjustment screw for headlight was missing---must have rattled off!!--was there last week when i put a LED IN IT??, anyhooo i found another long screw and made sure thread was the same-well almost--a bit tighter--all good, i then adjusted the angle slightly to the left as here in Australia we ride on the left side of the road, and decided to re-secure the screw so it doesn't work its way out again, i put some heat-shrink first then some spare hose i had lying around to secure the screw.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:44 pm

LED bulbs do not fair well when fitted to a headlight reflector that was originally designed for an incandescent bulb.

The reason is the LED bulb is physically much bigger than the incandescent one that is replacing, and so a lot of the light is not dispersed correctly. I discovered this when LED bulbs first became available, they were blue in color if my memory serves me well (probably due to the higher color temperature compared with the original inkie).

I was so disappointed with the results, I reverted back to the original. Perhaps things have changed since then. I'd like to hear about any others that experienced this.

Bill Hagan and Grisobaby08 like this post

Back to top Go down
Grisobaby08
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Grisobaby08

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:53 pm

kiwi dave wrote:
LED bulbs do not fair well when fitted to a headlight reflector that was originally designed for an incandescent bulb.

The reason is the LED bulb is physically much bigger than the incandescent one that is replacing, and so a lot of the light is not dispersed correctly.  I discovered this when LED bulbs first became available, they were blue in color if my memory serves me well (probably due to the higher color temperature compared with the original inkie).

I was so disappointed with the results, I reverted back to the original.  Perhaps things have changed since then.  I'd like to hear about any others that experienced this.

Hi Kiwi Dave, I'm no expert on the subject but i think it all depends on the LED units construction/heat soak/position of LED`s/number of LED`s, there are hundreds of types to buy from cheap to expensive units, all i know is that the unit i put on my bike works fantastic, its a bright white light and super bright when high-beam is on, works perfectly, I had a spare as i had the other put in my LeMans 2 and also performs.

I'm sure there must be lots of topics regarding LED`s on this site, I think its a can of worms regarding this subject, maybe you should start a new thread/post regarding LED`s as my post was related to the way I fixed the angle-adjustment screw that went missing!!

My experience is: Fantastic unit/good construction with alu-heat soakon rear of unit/ only has 2 LED`s built in the unit and LED`s identically positioned as the original incandescent bulb, was expensive at $209 Australian dollars---but that is for 2 units(cant buy this model/brand separately!!), one in the GRiSO and one in the LeMans2, has transformed confidence in night-riding.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:52 pm

I have the Speaker H4 replacements in our shitbox Hyundai Tucson. Apart from probably doubling the value of the car they work extremely well. Some of the other globes I've tried, most notably the Narva ones, are not nearly as good as well as being physically larger and clumsier.

My 2c.

kindoy2 and Grisobaby08 like this post

Back to top Go down
BetaSteve
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BetaSteve

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:55 am

JW Speaker is undoubtedly one of the best, with a very wide selection of applications available, and you are expected to pay accordingly. Motodemic, with their GRiSO specific unit is another, unfortunately even more expensive option. Lighting experts worldwide will attempt to educate of the downfalls of LED bulbs in reflectors not designed for them, at the very least, the danger of blinding oncoming traffic. Not exactly what I want when facing the oncoming 5000 lb SUV driver of unknown sobriety when out for a pleasant evening’s cruise that might’ve run a little long…
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is my go to source for an opinion from someone with true expertise.

Grisobaby08 likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:46 am

Would a led bulb (like the Speaker H4) also work well in a classic headlamp with "spread patterns", like the ones on the California models? Just wonderin'...

Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:06 pm

Yes....posted this in different thread & I used a more 'normal looking' LED bulb in old style V50 as it fits easier . Works fine for me, passes MOT, but can't comment on the quality of the beam vz original as I just did it to reduce load & look brighter.

Grisobaby08 likes this post

Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:18 am

Thanks Paul Smile
Guess I will have to try it out to find out if the beam pattern is right.
Tried with a led lamp that came with my GRiSO when I bought it from Ireland, and this bulb did not give the right pattern. I presumed it was because it was made for left hand driving and thus collided with the right hand spread pattern on the front glass, but don't know if there is such a difference on bulbs... ?
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:36 am

I always thought it was the lens/rear that gave the 'sided' bit on old style headlamps (not the bulb); that's why we always used to have to stick electrical tape over the lens for going abroad, rather than just change the bulbs Wink .

BUT full LED headlamps (integrated units that don't have replaceable bulbs) ARE 'sided' because it's a single unit & I believe (with absolutely no evidence or data !), it's all in the firmware & the internal design....
Back to top Go down
bjor
Biondino
Biondino
bjor

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:52 am

You're probably right.
But since the LEDs don't have any built in reflector in the front and (I assume) don't project that much light back into the main reflector as the old style H4 does -and since they are assymetrically built up regarding positioning of the cree-elements, I thought they might also spread the light assymetrically...
Have to test it out next season Smile
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:39 am

Hey Bjor....weirdly these do a 'works anywhere' LED headlamp .....blurb further down says "The beam pattern is neutral, that is to say, it's flat, so you can use it on either side of the road, dependent upon which country you're riding in"...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!   Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Headlight Adjustment/screw Gonskiiiiieeee!!!!
Page 1 of 1