GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

This little piece of...

Go down 
+3
Pete Roper
beetle
got_griso
7 posters
AuthorMessage
got_griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
got_griso

This little piece of... Empty
PostSubject: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:18 pm

This little metal screw/plunger end but that actuates the master cylinder - how the hell do I get it out? Im already mangling it bit by bit...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:56 pm

There's a teeny grub screw holding it on.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Yup, tiny (2.5mm) Allen grub screw. The whole lot is tied together with Loctite too so use a propane torch to heat it up and soften the Loctite before trying to loosen the grub screw. There is a flat blade screwdriver slot in the non-pokey end of the plunger which you *Should* be able to use to wind the plunger out. If not hold the plunger in a vice with soft jaws and ad heat and wriggle it out.

Pete
Back to top Go down
got_griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
got_griso

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:04 am

Whelp. I tried using an allen key to get the grub screw out and it just rounded out the head... So, looks like I may have to order one. I did some research and found one at AF1 Racing - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The question is, will this fit and work 100% with a GRiSO 1100 or is there another part I should be ordering?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:21 am

Yup, that's the part and yes it will work. Pricey for what it is but to the best of my knowledge its the only option as Brembo don't seem to list them separately and if you buy the whole lever its not only pricey but you are still stuck with the same problem if you want to swap levers.

Do make sure when installing the lever that you have the plunger dusted correctly. The piston in the master has to be able to return to the end of its stroke when the lever is released. If it can't the system will pressurise and you'll risk burning a clutch and/or trashing your thrust bearing.

Pete
Back to top Go down
got_griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
got_griso

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Just spoke to the guys at AF1 - they informed me the part will not work? If you or anyone else has used this part, can we confirm that it works? Just being a stickler - I prefer spending money once, even if it is $40 bucks for a small adjuster rod.
Back to top Go down
thornhillgriso
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
thornhillgriso

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:55 pm

The AF1 part will fit in the clutch lever, but the vertical piece is shorter than the stock piece. It does not have the half-round protrusion at the bottom, so it will not activate the micro switch. I have not yet tried to see if the grub screw and the horizontal bits from the AF1 part will fit into the stock vertical "half round" piece, since I haven't gotten the grub screw out.

Having similar issues removing the grub screw. Going to retry with more heat. Heated it last time, but the bugger started rounding off a bit anyway so I stopped and went off to more productive pursuits.

Eric
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:13 pm

I stand corrected. I hadn't noticed the lack of switch tang. That could be an issue.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:56 pm

I would bet that the plunger and grub screw are interchangeable with the stock barrel.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
got_griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
got_griso

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:24 pm

The microswitch - this is used for starting the motorcycle when in gear and clutch is depressed correct? Because I can currently start the motorcycle out of gear without issue. If this is the case, then I could care less about the microswitch - I dont think I have ever been able to start the motorcycle in gear. As long as the piston in the master cylinder is able to function then I will have a running working motorcycle - I can more than likely get the main barrel and pin machined if need be.
Back to top Go down
got_griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
got_griso

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Steak wrote:
I would bet that the plunger and grub screw are interchangeable with the stock barrel.

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder if this is the case.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:09 pm

The micro switch stops you from starting in gear without the lever pulled in, but also works in conjunction with the side stand switch. It's a double redundancy thing.

..and what Steak said.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:12 am

Steak wrote:

You are correct Sir! I am currently running "Made in China" brand shorty levers using the AF1 plunger and that part from the stock lever. DW
Back to top Go down
got_griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
got_griso

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:52 am

I can get the part and use the stock barrel - the question is; how to remove the plunger from the stock barrel if I cant get the grub screw out? Heat and allen keys mangled the head of it.
Back to top Go down
got_griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
got_griso

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:11 am

I can get the part and use the stock barrel - the question is; how to remove the plunger from the stock barrel if I cant get the grub screw out? Heat and allen keys mangled the head of it.
Back to top Go down
got_griso
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
got_griso

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:41 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I will be ordering this part as it comes with the barrel/adjuster pin and no muss no fuss. Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:54 am

FYI - for this job, I actually prefer using a micro-torch vs. a standard torch. It's a bit easier to concentrate the flame on the grub screw.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:23 pm

I don't know if they make Ezy-outs small enough for the tiny grub screw. I've successfully used a Torx to remove a larger Allen screw that an Ezy-out wouldn't. Of course, the Torx was sacrificed. I found a Torx that almost fit and hammered tapped it in.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Gently of course... as one would with a tap-o-meter
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:53 pm

got_griso wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I will be ordering this part as it comes with the barrel/adjuster pin and no muss no fuss. Thanks all!

Good price! I might get one on spec. DW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This little piece of...   This little piece of... Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

This little piece of...
Page 1 of 1