GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tamu
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
tamu

GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Empty
PostSubject: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:11 am

Evening all. My 2010 GRiSO 8V is reporting my speed as zero and I think the sensor isn't the problem. Anyone know what I could check next?

A while back the speed shown in the speedo became erratic, jumping between values that had no relation to the actual speed. There was an ECU 56 error. So I replaced the sensor, assuming that the Scottish weather had got in there.

With the new sensor the speed was initially erratic again then just reported zero speed. Once, after riding for ~30 minutes, the dashboard showed the correct speed for the remaining hour of the ride, in rain. Then afterwards permanently showed zero speed. Again there was an ECU 56 error.

So I replaced the battery, which was ageing but didn't appear to have a problem. I also tested the harness for the speed sensor, and it showed 12.55V across pins 1-3 with the ignition on, which I think shows that harness is powered.

I also tested the sensor itself, across pins 2 (sensor) and 3 (ground) whilst I rotated the wheel. Voltage went from 11.3V to 0.37V as the sensor activated. For good measure I also inspected the ECU connectors. They looked to be dry and clean but I sprayed them with contact cleaner anyway.

I do have another enduring minor problem with startus interruptus. Fitting the MPH kit has improved the situation but I still need a high-rated fuse, and occasionally get the click but no starter. Could be related. Or not!

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:23 pm

If you are sure the speedo sensor is OK, have you tried "resetting" the dash?

Disconnect the battery. Connect the +ve & -ve leads together, and leave the key switch on for at least an hour (overnight better).

Can't hurt.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:29 pm

I'd have to say it still sounds like the signal isn't getting through so maybe not the pick up itself but maybe the plug on the other end or one of the pins in the loom.

moto likes this post

Back to top Go down
tamu
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
tamu

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:09 am

Thanks both!
Beetle - I'll do that first.
Pete - my next check will be to poke the multimeter into the back of the loom-side connector for the speed sensor.
Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:25 am

On the “Startus” I use a 20amp fuse with the MPH kit. It came with a 15 in it and it would blow periodically.

Bill Hagan and tamu like this post

Back to top Go down
tamu
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
tamu

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:07 pm

The dash reset didn't seem to make a difference.

Having tested the sensor from the loom side of the connector, I'm not getting the change in voltage as the sensor activates, just a constant ~11V. I then rechecked from the sensor side of the connector and unfortunately had the same result.

So the sensor that was working three days ago now isn't. I'm assuming that I've either got a temperamental sensor, or there's something else that could be interfering.

Unless anyone has a better idea, I'll order another new sensor and try that.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:28 pm

Where are getting the ground for your meter? I'm wondering if it's a grounding issue.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tamu
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
tamu

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:27 am

Hey Beetle, here are the Voltage tests I did, from a couple of weeks ago when the sensor appeared to be activating, and today, when it isn't.

Test04/03/2325/03/23
Battery (ignition off)13.313.4
Battery (ignition on)12.412.5
Harness power to connector ground12.612.5
Harness power to battery -'iveN/A12.5
Sensor power at connector12.612.5
Sensor activation11.3 - 0.411.0
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:28 am

For the sensor test, where did you ground the meter? On the battery? Sensor ground?

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
tamu
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
tamu

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:52 am

beetle wrote:

For the sensor test, where did you ground the meter? On the battery? Sensor ground?

On the sensor ground - poking the multimeter into the back of the sensor connector. Not the loom side, the sensor side.
Back to top Go down
tamu
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
tamu

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:12 pm

I swear this bike is messing with me. I took it out for a ride today and after about a mile, in the rain, the speedometer started working again, and kept working for the whole 15 mile ride. I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few rides.
Back to top Go down
tamu
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
tamu

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:12 pm

So I'm summary, the speedo seems now to be reliably working again. I'm not sure what to make of it, or whether there's anything of benefit to others. But here's the sequence of events, that may, or may not, be relevant:
- Speedo became erratic and then stopped working, showing 0.
- Replaced the speedo sensor, and on a short test ride the speedo was erratic again, then failed entirely, again showing a 0.
- On a longer ride, in wet weather, the speedo started working again, showing the correct speed, and worked for the duration of the ride. On subsequent rides it didn't work, showing 0 again.
- Cleaned the speedo sensor connections. Cleaned the ECU connector. Replaced the battery. Speedo still didn't work.
- Checked the sensor, and loom, with a multimeter, and everything appeared fine, with the sensor activating as the wheel turned.
- Speedo still didn't work on a short test ride.
- Reset the dash (thanks beetle), and on a ~100m low speed test ride the speedo didn't work.
- Checked again with a multimeter, and no activation with the wheel turning.
- Went on a longer ride, in the wet, of ~15 miles and the speedo started working almost immediately, but at the same time the rear left indicator failed.
- Indicator bulb was fine, so tightened connections in the bulb holder, and the connection to the loom. Indicator started working consistently again.
- Speedo has worked consistently since, across several test rides of varying distance in the wet and dry.

Makes little sense to me, other than electrical gremlins, but hopefully useful to someone!
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:16 am

My guess is that there was a bit of corrosion in the white connector block for the speedo pick up.
removing and replacing enough times has disturbed the corrosion and remade connection.

I suggest that next time the panels are off - scrape the pins sides with a fine screwdriver and then vaseline the upper part of the connector (stop water getting in and allow any that gets in to get out).

Its working now - go ride Very Happy

tamu likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working   GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

GRiSO speedo failure but sensor working
Page 1 of 1