GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Clutch lever pivot play

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

Clutch lever pivot play Empty
PostSubject: Clutch lever pivot play   Clutch lever pivot play Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:02 am

I think I've posted on this before, but can't find it, so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

I've got a ton of play at the pivot in my clutch lever. It came up as an advisory on my MOT ( UK safety check).

I have replaced the lever, and the shouldered pin thing, but I've still got a load of play. Tell me I don't need to replace the whole master cylinder assembly doo-dah.

It's a 2008 8v with about 60k miles.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever pivot play   Clutch lever pivot play Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:15 am

Can you elaborate? Do you mean you have too much travel in the lever before it starts to operate the clutch?

If you have replaced the lever and its pivot pin it should remove the play unless the actual yoke of the master cylinder is itself worn. If that is the case you could try shimming out the up and down movement with shim washers I suppose?
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever pivot play   Clutch lever pivot play Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:05 am

There's more lateral play than up and down (although to be honest there's a fair bit of both.)It feels like the hole that the brass shouldered pin thing goes in has worn, so the lever moves a good bit before the push rod engages the piston in the master cylinder. Am I making sense?

I do a lot of urban miles, so the clutch works hard.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever pivot play   Clutch lever pivot play Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:15 am

Can you post up a pic of where the wear is? I thought you said you'd replaced the lever?
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever pivot play   Clutch lever pivot play Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:38 am

The shouldered bolt needs to be tightened into the bottom of the cylinder assembly before the lock nut is done up to stop it rocking.
If the hole in the lever is worn oval a replacement lever is the best fix.

With any luck the cylinder assembly is not worn.

However if it is worn the original is one of Brembos worst designs so replacement would be a blessing
- albeit expensive.
Back to top Go down
BrianD
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
BrianD

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever pivot play   Clutch lever pivot play Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:52 am

I ended up replacing the shouldered bolts as they had worn against the clutch (mainly) and brake lever.  The hole in the levers were also worn so I pressed in a metal sleeve to take out the play.  The actual master cylinders were perfectly alright as the bolt screws into it and won't move.

I too do a lot or urban miles in all weathers which does help.
Back to top Go down
Trogladyte
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Trogladyte

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever pivot play   Clutch lever pivot play Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:00 am

That's interesting. I've tried new lever, and a new shouldered bolt, but I still have play. When I say "new" lever, what I really mean is "another" lever, so maybe I'll double check before pressing the £££ button. Trouble is, once it's all assembled, it's quite tricky to see where the play is coming from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch lever pivot play   Clutch lever pivot play Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Clutch lever pivot play
Page 1 of 1