GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA

Go down 
+2
Pete Roper
Peteypete
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Peteypete
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Peteypete

New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Empty
PostSubject: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:20 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for being welcomed into this group. I'm a sucker for a good-looking bike, and when I saw the ad for this one, all I could say was, "Wow! That's beautiful!" I had it gone over by the only Connecticut Guzzi dealer, Hamlin Cycle, and had all the maintenance done for the past number of years. It needed a lot. But it has been awesome! It's a 2009 1200 8V with a bunch of farkles like fender eliminator, license plate mount, blacked out heads, Termignoni muffler, and a few other things you can spot. I've been out on it for several hundred miles this spring and enjoyed every minute of it.

Looking forward to the ghetto,
Pete
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

NorthernProducer, Svartipants, uris and tinker like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:31 pm

And it has been rollerised I hope?
Back to top Go down
Peteypete
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Peteypete

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:26 pm

No, but it had the initial recall done in 2009 for hardened rockers (I guess?) According to Hamlin Cycle, it is not critical at this time, but probably next winter, I'll take care of it.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:59 pm

It's critical. Do it yesterday, if not sooner.

The recall was for a swap from chilled cast iron tappets that failed to forged steel tappets with a DLC facing that also fail. The only fix is rollerisation and every mile you travel with flats is damaging the motor.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:44 am

Welcome Pete
the GRiSO is definitely a thrill to ride every time

definitely heed Pete's advice as a dead GRiSO brings no thrills!!
Back to top Go down
Peteypete
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Peteypete

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:02 am

Thank you, I’ll attend to that.
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:59 am

Beautiful bike! Hamlin is a CARC fanatic, and has a reputation for tuning suspensions on Norge's and Stelvio's. I know a couple of guys that consider him a magician in this regard. I've met him and scrutinized a couple of his builds, including a 1400 shoehorned into a Breva, and they were stunning in the detail and finish. I also know he's keen on the power commander, and this feedback that 'it's not critical at this time' is surprising to me. So....do your homework and choose your lane, I suppose.

I like the looks of the license plate mounts, but my limited engineering sensibilities make me wonder...Hitting a bump hard, would that mass hanging 12" out from CARC casting put undo strain on things? Granted...hitting bumps (potholes in the US are ridiculous) is always avoided and very rare, but it would only take once.

Having said that, the bike is farkled really well. Enjoy it. Love the Brembo wheels on these bikes.
Back to top Go down
Peteypete
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Peteypete

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:17 am

Thanks for the comments! As I’m new to Moto Guzzis, I defer to someone like Hamlin. He struck me as a straight-shooter, and I had a chance to talk with him at length. But I will take care of the rollerisation. BTW, they’re Marchesini wheels (owned by Brembo?)
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:41 am

They are owned by Brembo, and I thought I'd seen them branded as such, but I could be wrong. Happens quite a bit. I'm still a week or two out from ownership of my own set. So I outta just put a cork in it.

Hamlin's formed his own opinions. I agree he's an honest guy, from my knowledge. He's drawn different conclusions. Maybe seeing the inside of your motor will be the data point that tips him into a different mindset.

What's your mileage?
Back to top Go down
Peteypete
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Peteypete

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:05 pm

He did look inside to confirm what had been shown through recall records, and to adjust the valves. It’s at 27k miles
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:16 pm

It takes 15 minutes to remove a cambox and examine the tappets. At 27K miles d be very, very surprised if there wasn't clearly visible damage. All depends on how it's been ridden but I'd be willing to put money on it being well on the way.
Back to top Go down
Peteypete
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Peteypete

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:56 pm

Thank you for your input. That’s what forums like this are for.
Back to top Go down
Gator Bite
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Gator Bite

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:06 pm

Peteypete wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks for being welcomed into this group. I'm a sucker for a good-looking bike, and when I saw the ad for this one, all I could say was, "Wow! That's beautiful!" I had it gone over by the only Connecticut Guzzi dealer, Hamlin Cycle, and had all the maintenance done for the past number of years. It needed a lot. But it has been awesome! It's a 2009 1200 8V with a bunch of farkles like fender eliminator, license plate mount, blacked out heads, Termignoni muffler, and a few other things you can spot. I've been out on it for several hundred miles this spring and enjoyed every minute of it.

Looking forward to the ghetto,
Pete

Nice looking bike. I see you're in Prospect CT. I'm in Oxford and I just picked up a 2007 GRiSO. I also took mine to Hamlin and had them go through it. I like those guys. They seemed very fair and very knowledgeable.

Maybe I'll see you out there on the roads....

Mike

Peteypete likes this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1Tue May 09, 2023 4:16 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Pete. Lots of Petes here already, but more are always welcome!

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA   New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

New Guzzi owner in Connecticut, USA
Page 1 of 1