GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut

Go down 
+8
austoolman
Bill Hagan
Peteypete
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
Chris W
bioman
Gator Bite
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Gator Bite
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Gator Bite

First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Empty
PostSubject: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:40 pm

Hello group! My name is Mike and I’d like to introduce myself. I apologize for what is going to be a long first post, but I think my riding resume will help you understand how I got here and I hope that my experience might be interesting to others like me.

I’ve been riding motorcycles since I was 10 years old. I learned to ride on a Benelli Dynamo 65 (1 up 3 down shifter on the right..!). I’ve owned and ridden many bikes since then, including a Honda XR-80, a Hodaka Combat Wombat 125 and a Honda MR-250.

When I turned 18, I bought my first street bike. It was a 1981 Honda CX-500 Deluxe. Just in case you’re not familiar with the CX, it’s an upright bike built around an 80-degree transversely mounted V-Twin, liquid cooled with shaft drive. It’s sort of a copy of a Moto Guzzi.

The CX wasn’t something that I sought out; it was an opportunity buy. My girlfriend’s neighbor was selling it, I had just turned 18, it needed some work (had a coolant leak) and the price was right. I bought it, I fixed it and really fell in love with street riding. I didn’t know it at the time, but I also fell in love with the CX.

A few years later I sold the CX and bought a leftover Honda Interceptor. Man did I love that bike. But after about 4 years of ownership, I found myself getting reckless. I was doing stupid stuff that led to two minor crashes. A bit of body damage to the bike, a few sprains and some road rash. Nothing that couldn’t be fixed or wouldn’t heal, but I saw where this was going. I had bad impulse control. It was time to sell that bike before I got seriously hurt. I sold it and went back to the dirt.

I bought a Honda XR-600R and a trailer. My brother bought a CR-250. My brother, myself and some friends would go riding almost every weekend, and we’d make a day out of it. After being on the street for 6 years, returning to the dirt was tough. Dirt riding requires so much more skill than street, and the bike I had chosen was heavy. My riding skills improved exponentially as I learned to work that big thumper on the most challenging rides I had ever faced. 8 years in, my riding partner (my brother) moved to Florida. Without a riding buddy, I found that I wasn’t riding anymore. I decided to go back to the street.

I asked myself, “What kind of bike can I buy that won’t tempt me to do stupid stuff?  I know…! I’ll get a Harley…!” I bought a new Sportster 1,200 Custom. Tons of chrome, great sound and with no fairings I bet it’s no fun above 65 mph…. What I didn’t anticipate is how much fun it would be below 65 mph…!

I quickly came to appreciate the big twin torque that could pull me out of turns like a catapult. And hey…, who knew that a Sportster could really carve turns….? OK, surprise number two. Wait, there’s more... The brakes on a Sportster actually work way better than you’d expect. You have to squeeze the front like you’re trying to break the lever off, but if you do that bike can stop on a dime. The bike has a long clunky shifter action, a 21” front wheel that makes the steering heavy yet very capable if you learn to make it work. I road the heck out of that Sporty and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. At the time, we had many friends with bikes too. Every weekend 8-10 of us would go out for a nice ride in the Northwest hills of CT.

One day my wife expressed interest in getting her own bike. We bought a Ducati Monster 695 for her. The Duc is a really fun bike, but for me to really enjoy it I’d need a bigger one with more torque. The Harley has spoiled me.

Interestingly, I’ve been having this strange recurring dream since I bought the Interceptor back in 1987. I dream that I’m in my garage cleaning, I move a tarp and I find my old CX-500. I forgot that I had it. I get excited at the idea of riding it again. Weird…. I’ve owned some pretty cool hardware over the years yet I dream about my CX more than any of them... I guess that bike got under my skin, probably because it was my first real bike and because I had so much fun with it.

As the years slipped by, our riding group broke up. Friends got married, had kids, bought houses, and so on.  I bought a Porsche Cayman S and became a track-rat. We had too many good weather hobbies. Our bikes sat for years with very little use, maybe a handful of rides per year.

This year I decided I’d like to start riding again. I miss it. I still have the Harley and the Duc, but I’ve always been interested in the Harley V-Rod. They don’t make them anymore so I started watching marketplace for nice clean used units. That’s when I came across a 2007 Moto Guzzi GRiSO with only 1,164 miles on it…!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I thought, “Oh man… Look at that thing…. It’s freaking beautiful…! It looks like a more modern, sportier CX-500. It’s like a cross between a CX and a V-Rod.”
I arranged to go see it. As soon as I set eyes on it, I was looking it over for indicators that the claimed mileage wasn’t authentic. “How could a 16-year-old bike possibly have such little mileage?”, I thought to myself. I looked at the date codes on the tires. I looked at the discoloration of the stainless pipes, the front of the engine for sand blasting, etc… The bike looked like new!

Bill (the seller) started the bike for me. I was immediately intrigued. It had a deep V-twin thump that I thought only a Harley could produce. Sure, it had a different and unique voice, but it was nice (the bike is equipped with a Staintune exhaust system). After chatting with Bill for a little while, I asked him if it would be possible for me to ride it. He asked for a refundable deposit and a promised to buy it if I broke it. We shook hands, I handed him some loot, pulled my helmet out of my car and threw a leg over it.

The road that Bill lives on is a nice winding road that I am pretty familiar with. I pulled out of his driveway and took a right. I rode up for a good 5 miles, then turned around and came back. On the way back to Bill’s house, I knew I was screwed. The GRiSO is really fun to ride. It’s sporty, but not too sporty. It has an upright riding position that doesn’t have me leaning on my wrists. It’s torquey yet smooth. If you ask it to rev, it’s happy to do so. Downshift it and it gurgles and pops. It’s wide and long, but it drops into a turn almost telepathically. Now I know some might disagree with me on that last statement, but keep in mind I’ve been riding a Sportster, and riding it well, for the last 20 years. Compared to a Harley, the GRiSO is straight up amazing.

I ride on then start to notice some other personality traits. The bike twists when you blip the throttle for a downshift (reminiscent of the CX). It has a hard time coming off of closed throttle smoothly. The 1st gear engagement takes a little coaxing when stopped. The clutch sounds ridiculous when you pull it in. Yeah, it sounds like I’m bashing the bike now but I’m not. Remember, 20 years on a Harley. These idiosyncrasies make a bike lovable to me.

I got back to Bill’s place and told him to consider the bike sold. I picked it up the next day and I’ve put about 400 miles on it since. I’m still getting to know the bike, but I am absolutely loving it, for all the reasons I mentioned earlier and more. The bike is beautiful and unique. I’m not a kid anymore, my impulse control has matured. On the Harley I learned that you don’t need blinding horsepower to have fun. You need personality, and the GRiSO has a LOT of personality.

I’m in love with the bike. I can’t stop thinking about it. So much so that I took the time to write this ridiculously long post to a bunch of strangers. But somehow, I suspect you guys get it…. I’m really looking forward to this summer….. Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for all of the great knowledge I know I will find here.

Oz1200Guzzi, daviscr5, Bill Hagan, lcjohnny, kidsmoke, Richard, daniel_pww and like this post

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:10 pm

Congrats with your new bike, and thanks for the nice story and pictures.  Only 1164 miles on a 16-year old bike!  Wow... what a find!  And a nice RW hugger as well.

Did you ask Bill for the user code?

The technical gurus on the Ghetto will be coming along soon, I am sure, with sound advice re necessary lubrication of swing arm bearing & rear shock linkage.  Also, if you like it now, imagine how much you will love it with a Beetle map!!

Bill Hagan and Gator Bite like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:19 pm

damn Gator Bite - that was A LONG POST!  lol!
I appreciate the history and welcome to the GHETTO

Back to top Go down
Gator Bite
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Gator Bite

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:05 pm

bioman wrote:
Congrats with your new bike, and thanks for the nice story and pictures.  Only 1164 miles on a 16-year old bike!  Wow... what a find!  And a nice RW hugger as well.

Bill gave me some papers with the bike, and the code was in there. I'll have to put it in a safe place.

bioman wrote:
The technical gurus on the Ghetto will be coming along soon, I am sure, with sound advice re necessary lubrication of swing arm bearing & rear shock linkage.  Also, if you like it now, imagine how much you will love it with a Beetle map!!

I am pretty competent with a wrench, but Moto Guzzis are all new to me. The fact that the bike had seen so little use is a double edge sword. I love low mileage bikes, but we all know that lack of use can be bad for some things. So I took the bike to Hamlin cycles and had Jim give it the once over. He replaced ALL fluids, checked the fuel filter to make sure it had been updated, synced the throttle bodies (they were way out of whack) and replaced the tires (they were 8 years old) with a fresh set of Michelin Road 6s. He tells me it's in great shape and ready for some riding.

I would love to learn more about that Beetle Map. I'm guessing that's an ECU flash. I'm also looking forward to all the advice the group may share.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:23 pm

The pic of your dash shows that the bike doesn't have a user code inserted. The code you found may be the service code, something else entirely, it's listed in the header of the Ghetto 12425?

The user code you choose yourself and it's important to make sure it's something you won't forget as you may need it in the event someone tries to force the ignition or the antenna for the security system goes west.

Oh and just a heads-up, the greasing of the swingarm bearings and shock linkages is a priority. Unless it has been done they will deteriorate in short order as they are never adequately lubricated ex factory. Changing out swingarm bearings is a bit of a chore so far better avoid having to do it by addressing the issue before it becomes a problem. Shock linkage double con-rods are NLA so it is worth looking after yours. The wishbone is, AFAIK, still available but once again it is far easier to ensure something is going to last than leaving it and then having to rebuild or replace it.

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:27 pm

So we are strangers huh?

You have no idea how strange some of us really are.

Good story and thanks for sharing. Welcome to our little bit of madness on the inter-webby-thingy.

Back to top Go down
Gator Bite
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Gator Bite

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:21 am

Gator Bite wrote:
bioman wrote:

Bill gave me some papers with the bike, and the code was in there. I'll have to put it in a safe place.

bioman wrote:

I am pretty competent with a wrench, but Moto Guzzis are all new to me. The fact that the bike had seen so little use is a double edge sword. I love low mileage bikes, but we all know that lack of use can be bad for some things. So I took the bike to Hamlin cycles and had Jim give it the once over. He replaced ALL fluids, checked the fuel filter to make sure it had been updated, synced the throttle bodies (they were way out of whack) and replaced the tires (they were 8 years old) with a fresh set of Michelin Road 6s. He tells me it's in great shape and ready for some riding.

I would love to learn more about that Beetle Map. I'm guessing that's an ECU flash. I'm also looking forward to all the advice the group may share.

Thank you for the heads up! I just assumed that the code I had on the paperwork was that user code, but clearly it is not.

Very informative video. I will set a code after work tonight.

I'll also check with Hamlin Cycles about whether or not they regreased that swingarm. Jim struck me as a pretty thorough guy that really knew the bikes. Like a bone head, I left my copy of their work order in my back pocket, and it's already gone through the laundry - making it unreadable.

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gator Bite
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Gator Bite

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:54 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Oh and just a heads-up, the greasing of the swingarm bearings and shock linkages is a priority. Unless it has been done they will deteriorate in short order as they are never adequately lubricated ex factory.

Good news. I got a copy of my invoice / work order from John at Hamlin Cycles. Jim did in fact grease the rear suspension linkage, so I can check that off my list.

Bill Hagan and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
Peteypete
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Peteypete

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Sun May 07, 2023 3:42 pm

Hey Mike, welcome to the Ghetto from another new GRiSO owner in CT. Just got mine in January, and having a blast. I’m in Prospect, how about you? There’s another fella on here from Oxford. Probably more of us around too. Great story in your first post.

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Sun May 07, 2023 4:21 pm

Gator Bite wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:
Oh and just a heads-up, the greasing of the swingarm bearings and shock linkages is a priority. Unless it has been done they will deteriorate in short order as they are never adequately lubricated ex factory.

Good news. I got a copy of my invoice / work order from John at Hamlin Cycles. Jim did in fact grease the rear suspension linkage, so I can check that off my list.

IMO, Jim Hamlin's place is first class.

Bill

Gator Bite likes this post

Back to top Go down
austoolman
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
austoolman

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Sun May 07, 2023 4:28 pm

Hi Mike, welcome to the club. I've been a member since 2009 with my GRiSO 1200 8v. Just wait till you try the 8v. The GRiSO's best attribute is the standing start, have fun leaving Everyone else standing at the lights. I've had a few good tryers but no cigar. Never beaten. This bike makes me lazy, no special moves required to straighten the corners, just lean in and open the throttle before the apex but dont skimp on tyres ever. This bike is so much fun that speeding is a big problem watch your mirrors and dont get caught. GRiSO's like speed.

Back to top Go down
WCB
Biondino
Biondino
WCB

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Mon May 08, 2023 5:16 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
Gator Bite wrote:
Pete Roper wrote:

IMO, Jim Hamlin's place is first class.  

Bill

Jim's okay. A bit of a legend in his own mind. He's the guy that argued with me ad nauseum at a National rally years ago that the flat tappet failure on the early 8v's was an internet rumor.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Mon May 08, 2023 5:33 am

Really??? That's a worry......
Back to top Go down
eighteight
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eighteight

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Mon May 08, 2023 6:04 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Really??? That's a worry......

I had a dealer tell me to let them fail and the oil filter would prevent any collateral damage ...
Back to top Go down
tgriff5747
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
tgriff5747

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Mon May 08, 2023 9:50 am

Peteypete wrote:
Hey Mike, welcome to the Ghetto from another new GRiSO owner in CT. Just got mine in January, and having a blast. I’m in Prospect, how about you? There’s another fella on here from Oxford. Probably more of us around too. Great story in your first post.

Ay, OP and Petepete, I'm in CT too. Time to put together a GRiSO Gang....

Gator Bite likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gator Bite
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
Gator Bite

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Tue May 09, 2023 7:53 am

Peteypete wrote:

I'm that guy, from Oxford. I can't be more than 15-20 minutes from Prospect. How do you like to ride?  My wife and I used to spend a lot more time riding. We got bogged down with life and are now looking to get back into it. We enjoy Litchfield county where the roads are less travelled, very twisty and there are nice places to stop for a meal. I'll ping you the next time we are planning a ride. We'd love to have you join us.  

austoolman wrote:
Hi Mike, welcome to the club. I've been a member since 2009 with my GRiSO 1200 8v. Just wait till you try the 8v. The GRiSO's best attribute is the standing start, have fun leaving Everyone else standing at the lights. I've had a few good tryers but no cigar. Never beaten. This bike makes me lazy, no special moves required to straighten the corners, just lean in and open the throttle before the apex but dont skimp on tyres ever. This bike is so much fun that speeding is a big problem watch your mirrors and dont get caught. GRiSO's like speed.

I've ridden about 500 miles so far on the "new to me" GRiSO. I am just reaching the point where I feel at one with the bike. Where I can put it right onto the line I want in a turn. Where I can use the torque to adjust my apex. Where I can stop the front wheel right where I want it. Where I can anticipate the torque steer when blipping or downshifting...  I'm REALLY liking Moto Guzzi personality so far.

I've gotta say.... The thought has crossed my mind a few times already. If I'm having this much fun with 4 valves, imagine how much fun I'd have with 8 valves and 25 more hp...! Cool

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1Tue May 09, 2023 2:02 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Mike! Enjoyed your intro.

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut   First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

First Time Moto Guzzi Owner in Connecticut
Page 1 of 1