GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

It's Time to Retire

Go down 
+16
moto
janguzzi
JohnA
wardentm
Oz1200Guzzi
lcjohnny
GuzziSteve
bioman
SemperVee1
Tim Henry
rick pope
Chris W
Pete Roper
Street
beetle
Bill Hagan
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

It's Time to Retire Empty
PostSubject: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:26 pm

Oh, wait.  I've already done that from the working world.  Twice, actually.   Rolling Eyes

No, it's time to turn in my GRiSO card.

I'm not done riding -- tho I know that time will come, and I am mentally prepared to do that without whining when it's the socially responsible "right thing" to do.

But I have decided that I am no longer "right" for the GRiSO, so I will sell it sometime sooner than later.

I'm in no hurry, so in no rush to find the right price, etc., after etc.

And, even as a static display in the Moto Grappa, it's stunning art, so maybe that's what I should do.   cheers

No, it needs a younger caretaker who can "ride it as intended."

I did just buy a V85, "Guardia d'Onore."  I've never been a fan of that "beak," but the rest of the package is an all-'rounder for me.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Traded my V7 III for it when I had a flat in Kentucky two weeks ago.  Yes, any excuse will do.   cheers

The Norge got its honorable discharge last year, and that leaves the EV -- which I can't sell for sentimental reasons -- and the Stornello, which is a local off-pavement delight.

I certainly cannot ride now the GRiSO to its limits, and, of course, never could, but it's been an exciting machine even in my skill set.

I'll list it in the mercato first, but if any might be interest in "pre-ordering"  Wink  -- let me know.

Thanks for the memories,

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

humboldtguzzi, GhostBullet, River Rat, footgoose, kidsmoke, Florida lime, ndetto and Bobsvtwin like this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:30 pm

A sad event, Bill. I intend to ride mine until I can't hold it up anymore.

You are, of course, not allowed to leave the Ghetto.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny, Nobleswood, fruk and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:36 pm

I second that! Stick around, Bill, we love your company in the Ghetto!

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:10 pm

If I'm still riding my GRiSO at your age Bill I'll be astounded! In fact if I'm still alive at your age I'll be astounded! Laughing Nah, far better to recognise when the time is right and step away rather than persisting in pushing yourself too hard and potentially hurting yourself or worse, somebody else.

And the GRiSO is at least worth decent money! Let's face it a HD&M '98 Cali? You'll have to pay someone to drag it away...... Razz Razz Razz

Bill Hagan and Yahu like this post

Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:32 am

Bill, you are a great example to all of us on how to be responsible!
we must all be able to adapt to the limits of our bodies as we age and being able to recognize that is not always an easy thing to do.
As others have said, we certainly enjoy your story telling abilities here in the Ghetto so stick around

Cheers!

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:08 am

Well, dang. As said above, I hope you stick around here. Your stories and photo essays are always entertaining.

BTW, I'll be staying in Tellico Plains in September. A couple of my old CBX buddies and i are kicking off a week of fun and frivolity just as your Southern Spine group is ending theirs. Our times there overlap a bit, so the air will be thick with lies and tall tales.

Bill Hagan and Nobleswood like this post

Back to top Go down
Tim Henry
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Tim Henry

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:44 am

Sorry to hear you are parting ways with it I have a friend is seriously looking for a GRiSO and willing to fly and ride pm me so i can get you 2 together

Bill Hagan and Florida lime like this post

Back to top Go down
SemperVee1
Carlotto
Carlotto
SemperVee1

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:16 am

Darn Bill,   I have been following your antics since 2009 when I got my First Norge and I am keeping this second one, "Hi-Ho Silver"  as my "Forever" sentimental bike even as I no longer ride it as often and not nearly at it's limits but get so much pleasure just looking at it sitting ready to go in my Garage.  *We make these decisions or they get made for us at some time.

Back to top Go down
bioman
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bioman

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:03 pm

Please stick around the Ghetto - I've always enjoyed your stories and pictures enormously. You have a great way with words.
And I get it: I am also sometimes looking with serious interest at lighter and more flickable bikes. And that V85 Guardia d'Onore looks absolutely stunning!!

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:47 pm

Got a fix for the BEAK, a hacksaw. Buy a wheel hugger for a different bike & fit it. Ugly beaks.

Yahu likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:56 am

GuzziSteve wrote:
Got a fix for the BEAK, a hacksaw. Buy a wheel hugger for a different bike & fit it. Ugly beaks.

There is an Aprilia mudguard that fits straight on - I think from one of the Caponords then you can leave the beak in the garage

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:08 pm

well Bill, you are moving into a different stage - we all will, sooner or later.
Of import is the "how do you find the V85" question?
Back to top Go down
wardentm
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wardentm

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:40 am

Hi Bill
Greetings from Tasmania
Couple of years back I too had to reluctantly say goodby to my GRiSO …..sad as it was It was the thing to do
As I was then heading up the age graph and the GRiSO was going to kill me …I found myself occasionally getting blood rushes and doing things I should not have done with the Deminishing skills and strength I once posessed
I went out and bought me a v7 and enjoying it, but still pine for the GRiSO
Go well, stay safe

Back to top Go down
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:47 am

The beak might grow on you, Bill. It goes with the style of the adventure bike. Kinda like the GRiSO muffler…..I really like the look of your V85.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:53 am

Thanks to all for the consoling words.  It's not as if life is over for me or the GRiSO, but I turn 76 next month and that is so sobering I need a drink.   Shocked

I was down at the Moto Grappa yesterday looking at the GRiSO before it leaves here forever on Monday.

Yes, a new caretaker flies in from Florida in a day or so, spends the night, then, after having to endure my bloviating for hours, rides back to his home.  You may be sure that there will pic or two of the process.  Thanks to @Tim Henry for being the sales broker!  

Tim is also a GRiSO guru of the first magnitude, so his friend -- a beemerist until now -- will have lots of supervision and assistance as he transitions from Munich to Mandello.   cheers

As for the V85, Tony (@Oz1200Guzzi), as I think I mentioned before, I did not really plan on buying a new motorcycle, and, especially had given a V85 little thought. Aside from the cosmetics of the "beak," I had sat on a few and was surprised at the saddle height.  As I could not comfortably flatfoot it, it just did not enchant me.

OTOH, I have been thinking that my "last Guzzi" might be the new V100.  Aside from the V100's numerous enticing vids and hype, Kathi  queen had even encouraged me to get one because she worried about my getting a flat on the planned -- but aborted -- ride out to Seattle with a buddy on the tubed V7 III.  That was a blank check I could not pass up.

Yet, I did.  I simply was not taken by the V100 "in the flesh."  

Then, the flat came, but in Kentucky, and there was that V85 Guarda at the dealer where the V7 was towed.  Seemed providential to me.   Wink

How do I like it.  Inasmuch as I had never ridden one until I bought it -- yes, unwise, but that's at the heart of most motorcycle sales  Very Happy  -- and my misgivings about ergos, etc.,  I like it.  Lots.  Only 400 miles so  far, but all on fun roads and fun is what it delivers.

I still have to get my head around the higher perch.  I bought the lower saddle.  I even took out the rubber grommets under the saddle, but will likely return those as I am uncomfortable at the thought of damaging something while riding.  I am not sure what those are there for, but I suspect the engineers put them there for some good reason, so back they''ll go.  I may drop the front end a few lines, but am very unlikely to put on the available lower shock.  But we shall see.

Did a brief ride yesterday, including spoiling it with some 93 octane, no evil fuel.  Spendy but satisfying.

Here are some pix.

I removed the top case for several reasons, and will likely only remount it when HRH, my Polish Princess & Perfect Pillion, wants to ride, or for multi-day trips.

Enough for now.

After almost a month away in Italy and now Seattle, Kathi returns this afternoon.  That means I'd better get off this forum and do some house-cleaning lest the the homecoming be more a reckoning for my slovenly ways.  affraid

Bill

P.S.  @lcjohnny; is the the fender you mention?    Aprilia Front Fender

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

footgoose, Florida lime, Pawel Spoon, kindoy2, Svartipants, Yahu and nochainer like this post

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:46 am

Congrats Bill! Good choice.
After I sold my Vintage (too heavy, a 2nd Guzzi does not make sense ... blablabla)
2 years later ...

And the mods already started:
- Center stand
- Zard muffler (nice sound, not loud but more "grunt", excellent bulit quality,  lighter)
- Lowered (fork: -15 mm / 3 rings, rear -25 mm: a progessive Hyperpro spring), sidestand does not have to be shortened, center stand still easy to handle). Result: 1,72 m / 30 inch inseam => I can stand with both feet on the balls of my feet. The lowered seat does not really help until you take it to the saddler who adjusts the crotch area.

Ensure that you have the latest mapping (https://www.mgcn.nl/database/overzicht-mappings):
P80KFB12 - bike runs much better

Last edited by janguzzi on Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny, fruk and Tim Henry like this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.janguzzi.de/
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:51 am

janguzzi wrote:
Congrats Bill! Good choice.
After I sold my Vintage (too heavy, a 2nd Guzzi does not make sense ... blablabla)
2 years later ...

And the mods already started:
- Center stand
- Zard muffler (nice sound, not loud but more "grunt", excellent bulit quality,  lighter)
- Lowered (fork: -15 mm / 3 rings, rear -25 mm: a progessive Hyperpro spring), sidestand does not have to be shortened, center stand still easy to handle). Result: 1,72 m / 30 inch inseam => I can stand with both feet on the balls of my feet. The lowered seat does not really help until you take it to the saddler who adjusts the crotch area.

Danke, Jan.

That was very informative and helpful.

As you note, narrowing the saddle at one's "stride" is way more effective than merely reducing the seat's height.

Bill
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:05 am

My "lowering" experiment started with a used -20 mm comfort seat where the previous owner had even cut 4 rubber grommets in half. Absolutely no effect when your legs are too short.
You can buy those rubber grommets: code number B064023

The OEM Öhlins shock is even a bit shorter (5-10 mm).
For -25 mm shorter shocks you normally have to shorten the sidestand.

It seems that he orignal shock with the Hyperpro spring is not really shorter ... maybe a bit.
Hyperpro even offers a complete lowering kit (with shorter springs for the front) but pushing through the forks does works as well.

Last edited by janguzzi on Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:26 am

Bill Hagan wrote:
 @lcjohnny; is the the fender you mention?    Aprilia Front Fender

Yes that is the one - please bear in mind that i have not fitted it myself I got the information from the V85string on the ADV rider site Page 355 of the long V85 thread on ADV RIder

Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:07 am

The first thing to buy:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by janguzzi on Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

lcjohnny likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:30 am

Thanks again, Jan.

Already mentioned above.

A bit wary of the CF look, tho suppose I could paint.

Do you have that on yours or know anyone who does? Would like to see fitment in "real life."

Bill
Back to top Go down
janguzzi
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
janguzzi

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:37 am

Fits like a glove and the CF look is okay. It would maybe not fit on moto cross tires.
It has a hole at the rear half (maybe for a brake line or cable holder) but you almost can't see it.
You can even pimp it: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bill Hagan, lcjohnny and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:23 pm

Bill,
Glad to see you are making this transition in your usual, level-headed way. I’m on the verge. By the way, is your Stornello the 750cc one? (On the verge there too.)

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:50 pm

Bill and others, I was not enamoured with the height and purchased the lower seat. The result: worse than the original for a long trip and akin to sitting on 5/8" ply.

I happened to ride it one day wearing my work boots. Funny, I could touch the ground. So I purchased some boots (adventure boots one might say - Forma if you must know) and the equilibrium has now been restored. This is also not so scary when coming to a stop or taking off.
The original seat is back on it and some day I will lower the front a tad and see how that goes.
The handlebars are plenty wide enough to get a grip if the steering quickens up.

Out on made dirt roads, around here, I find I can sit on 120-130 km/h with no issues. This is what I originally bought the bike for, so now I am much happier.

BTW, the boots are quite warm too! Really good for cooler climes...

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:00 pm

Now here's a solution...

In GRiSO we trust!

Bill Hagan, humboldtguzzi, lcjohnny, Pawel Spoon, kindoy2 and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Time to Retire   It's Time to Retire Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

It's Time to Retire
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next