GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me

Go down 
+4
kidsmoke
beetle
Pete Roper
BuddhistProdigy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
BuddhistProdigy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
BuddhistProdigy

Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Empty
PostSubject: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:28 pm

Hi friends!

Thank you for the add! Here a quick introduction:

I am originally from Germany and have always loved Guzzis. I vividly remember admiring one every morning on my way to school as a little boy.
Really got into tuning Vespas and Lambrettas in my teens and regularly drove to scooter rallies all across Northern Europe.

Got stuck in the US after a college exchange program and landed in the Chicaoland area. A career, mortgage, and four kids later - I am finally getting my US motorcycle license and am planning on buying a Moto Guzzi. Always loved the look of a GRiSO and would love to own one, just not sure if it's a wise idea as a first bike. May go the V7 route initially...

Anywho - if any of you guys are local - we live in Frankfort, IL - drop me a line.

Best,

Ray

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:31 pm

Personally I don't think that a GRiSO is a good idea for a first bike. Why? Well apart from anything else they are heavy compared to many other machines. Far better to start off with something smaller and lighter until you get the hang of things.

Secondly they have been out of production for six or seven years and some parts, especially cosmetic parts like bodywork, are becoming both scarce and expensive. Take it as a given that you are going to drop it at some point, at a standstill or at low speed but it's bound to happen, (See above comment re. Weight!) and it's likely to be exactly those parts that are likely to be damaged! Far better to start off with something common as muck that the wreckers are full of so when you bust something you can pick up parts cheaply second hand. If you do decide to go for a Guzzi go for something like a V7 with high parts interchangeability and availability. It'll save you a lot of heartache.

If you decide after a year or two you still yearn for a GRiSO? Go for it! Before you do you can do your due diligence as to what to look out for and expect to avoid disappointment and learn the lie of the market so you're in a better position to pick up potential bargains!

Bill Hagan, JohnA, lcjohnny, Nobleswood and BuddhistProdigy like this post

Back to top Go down
BuddhistProdigy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
BuddhistProdigy

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:07 pm

Thank you, Pete! Really appreciate the perspective on weight and scarcity/price of parts for a first bike. Did not cross my mind but makes a whole lot of sense.
I guess a V7 it is then. In the interim, I'll learn about the GRiSO on this forum to make a more informed purchasing decision when I am ready.

Re V7s:
I personally do not care for the latest model's headlamp and the missing lettering on the tank, so will most likely look at a model that predates these design changes but has ABS (post 2014ish?)
Besides that, is there a specific vintage I should be gravitating towards, or are they all pretty much interchangeable?

Thanks again!

Bill Hagan likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:24 pm

V7III would be my pick. It has hemi-heads. Best of that engine concept.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:00 pm

Most highly developed version of the platform certainly. I personally have a soft spot for the V7-II. Last of the Heron head models but with the six speed gearbox. Frame and cycleparts are virtually identical since the early twin throttlebody V7's bit I find the Heron head motor has a charm of its own and none of them are exactly powerhouses!

One thing to be aware of and a possible cause for avoiding the II series though is that there was a run of them built with a problem with the crank and/or it's thrust bearings which led to them torching their motors at low Kms. Having said that the problem was NOT universal, Clancy who posts here had one prior to his GRiSO, it was fine, as are many others and while I've never encountered the issue personally I know it was widespread enough to become a *Known* issue among smallblock cognoscenti. Many in the US are on replacement engines because of the problem.

Earlier twin throttlebody bikes are also prone to *Suddenly* disappearing their engine oil. This is another one I've never worked out and it seems utterly random. They won't use a drop for tens of thousands of miles and then suddenly, *BANG* they'll empty their sumps in a couple of hundred Km and run the big ends! The problem ceased when the design went to single throttlebody with the second series, not connected to the single TB but the pistons and rings were redesigned on the V7-II's and the problem never recurred....... scratch
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:04 am

Hey Ray. Welcome to the Ghetto. I reconnected with moto’s as
an adult while living in Chicago, so I can relate to that. I’d pile on with the advice offered, so I’ll spare you.

There is what is, in my opinion, a prime V7 for sale in Bloomingdale right now that would be a special bike, and it’s sporting a Dart screen and Mistrals, so it’s feeling it’s inner GRiSO already. 2018 Milano. Std headlight, no bird. Not affiliated, I just saw the listing on the Guzzi board on FB. Here’s the text and a couple shots from the listing. Happy hunting.

2018 Moto Guzzi V7 III Milano for sale by owner. $7200. Clean and free title in hand.

10,081 miles on the clock. Never dropped, always garaged. Fully maintained and then some. This bike is set up like a dream with the following extras:

·      Mistral stainless full-length conical exhausts with catalysts (IYKYK)
·      Beetle map
·      Metal fuel filter
·      Hagon Nitro rear shocks
·      Racetech fork springs
·      Sato Racing engine guards/frame sliders
·      Short bar-risers
·      Dart Classic smoked fly screen
·      EBC HH pads in front with Pro Bolt titanium caliper pins
·      LED tail and parking light bulbs
·      Guzzi center stand
·      Continental Road Attack III tires - The rear went on at about 9000 mi. and on I’m running the same front that was on it when I bought it from the previous owner at 7-thousand-something mi.

The original exhausts, shocks, and springs are included in the sale. I don’t want to part anything out.

It has acquired a few fine nicks and scratches here and there (but not on the tank, knock on wood), as happens in 10,000 mi. of riding, and the left sidecover is slightly indented around the seat key and is scuffed. It’s not a collectible in its original packaging. Mechanically, there are zero issues.

Please PM, if interested.

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:17 am

Send the man a link! Yes, it's not the cheapest but it seems to have had a lot of good stuff done to it.
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:33 am

Pete Roper wrote:
Send the man a link! Yes, it's not the cheapest but it seems to have had a lot of good stuff done to it.

Ha! Yeah. Sorry. Lots of clutter. FB listings don’t have links to make it easy, afaik.

Ray, if you’re on FB, there’s a page called ‘Moto Guzzi’s for sale’ , this listing can be found there and you can reach out to the owner. If you’re not, let me know I can try to get the guys contact info.

Back to top Go down
BuddhistProdigy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
BuddhistProdigy

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:30 am

Man - you guys rock! Thank you so much for all the information and guidance.

Reached out to the seller (haven't been on FB in years...see what you guys make me do already, lol! - and I have been on this board less than 24hrs.

In your esteemed opinion is this a fair price - if not - what would you shoot for?

Appreciate you all,

Ray
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:04 am

Well don't disrespect the man by offering his asking price! He mentions some cosmetic niggles....wouldn't bother me, but it detracts from the price.

I'd see if you can throw a leg over it at least and make sure it's as he says. I'd probably offer 6500 and not feel horrible about 7K. That's assuming it really rocks your boat. Personally, the Milano sits well with me. There are V7III's out there from 4500 to 7K all day long. Few are this thoughtfully upgraded, however. I'd guess, at retail, he's got over 12K on the bike. Given where the seller has chosen to sell, he's prepared for some banter.

If you search FB Marketplace, you'll see many nice V7's here in the midwest for less. There's a blue 2018 in Blue Ash - that's Cadre, a respected Guzzi wrench and dealer outside Cincinnati. There's a Stornello in Cleveland. Having said all that I think at 7 this is fair. my $.02
Back to top Go down
BuddhistProdigy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
BuddhistProdigy

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:34 am

[quote="kidsmoke"]Well don't disrespect the man by offering his asking price!"

I like it and am going to steal this one.
Thanks, again very helpful.

Currently, just have my M permit, MSL course the weekend of 07/13. With that said, I should be able to at least get a feel for the bike.

Thanks!

Ray

Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:38 am

Welcome from the Netherlands and fast 2 stroke Vespa px210 Malossi owner.
Back to top Go down
BuddhistProdigy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
BuddhistProdigy

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:25 am

Deepdive wrote:
Welcome from the Netherlands and fast 2 stroke Vespa px210 Malossi owner.

Hey! Only way to do it! Enjoyed the Pinasco set-up for touring and Malossi for city driving.

Buddy of mine had the 172ccm on his T5 - I nearly crapped myself b/c that thing took off like a banshee - lol!

I attended the 'Holliday in Holland' runs in Venlo & Baarlo in the early to mid 90s. Good times & memories
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:20 pm

Welcome to the Ghetto, Ray! Good luck in your search, ride safe!

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:19 am

Howdy, Ray.

I sold my GRiSO yesterday; sigh.  Sad  Age issues.  It was a '10, but it was my age, not its that led to it leaving my Moto Grappa! Wink

As Pete and others note, a GRiSO is not a great "first Guzzi."

I also have a V7 II (Stornello) and also just sold a V7 III. Keeping my EV and II, along with a new harem member, a V85!

I mention the II & III, however, WRT what Pete, in particular, said about the 7 series.

My V7 III left because I never really "bonded" to it as I have to all other Guzzis in my past or present battle fleet.  That is, obviously, a purely personal and and entirely subjective call.  It lacked -- for me -- a certain "viscerality" that I have associated with Moto Guzzis.  Moreover, I need to add that I put 3000 miles on that machine last month, started along that way to recognize its charms, and only traded it for a new V85 when the III got a flat tire in Kentucky and was towed to a Guzzi dealer.  Moto-lust is a powerful force.  bounce

I also think that my Stornello (as stated, a II) is more "fun" to ride than was my III.  IMO, it has more butt-dyno sparkle than the III, tho the III is markedly more civilized in smooth engine feel, etc.  Some of that is merely aural and related to the OEM Arrow exhaust, and is, again, pretty darn subjective and derived from anecdata.

Now, perhaps most importantly, I don't "do" FB, but I think I know that III being sold in your area.  If so, I also know the original and present owners.  Both are serious riders and meticulous owners.  If that is the III that started its miles in Virginia and is now near you, you risk zero in buying it.  

Yes, that strikes me as a bit on the high side, but I doubt -- again, preuming it is the "Virginia" III -- that is to gouge the unwary, but more just pride, and trying to recapture farkle costs.  That latter is quite human and also unrealistic.  

Enough.  Best wishes in your search.

Bill

P.S.  Many who think of your part of the planet as a riding wasteland of only nasty traffic or straight roads separating horizon-to-horizon cornfields have not ridden the Driftless area, that great area the glaciers missed at the four corners of Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa.  The "alphabet roads" in SW Wisconsin are especially grand.  As with my GRiSO, which I rode there in 2011-13, I miss those ... and fried cheese curds.   cheers

Last edited by Bill Hagan on Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:48 am

Bill, it's funny you mention that part of Wisconsin. I've taken the GRiSO to that area the past 3 years for a CBX rally. And you're on the money about the "alphabet roads" being fun. Yee-Haw!!!!

Bill Hagan and kidsmoke like this post

Back to top Go down
BuddhistProdigy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
BuddhistProdigy

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:37 am

Hi Bill - thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the II vs III, as well as the potential Virginia tie-in to the V7 in question.

While I cannot directly relate to the V7 II -III characteristics, I believe to know what you are referring to based on my deep and broad experience with 2-stroke classic italian scooters (Vespa P range vs Lusso models) - a certain growl and lack of refinedness seem to be missing, which is hard to put your finger on, but when you know...you know.

If the stornello, is the scrambler type V7 model, there is a 2016 red & white one on my local FB marketplace as well. $5600 /OBO - Mileage: 7400k - stock/ no upgrades.

Have not heard back from the 'VA V7' owner - but may have to investigate the scrambler a little closer. Optically scramblers are not my 1st choice - then again, this will be my first and not my dream bike...

Thanks,
Ray
Back to top Go down
BuddhistProdigy
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
BuddhistProdigy

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:53 am

Hi Rick -

First and foremost - congratulations on your blessing of eight grandchildren! We all should be so lucky someday.

We are "down south" (Frankfort, IL) and thus closer to RT 66 (Wilmington, Dwight, etc) - Can't wait to explore more and head up North as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me   Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Long-time GRiSO fan - new here - Thanks for having me
Page 1 of 1