GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Polishing a Pearl

Go down 
+6
Pete Roper
paulbrice
PJPR01
Lazlokovacs
rick pope
kidsmoke
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:35 pm

You’re right! Didn’t mention vintage in the thread.

Pearl is an ‘09 8V <10k on the  odo.

No PC on this one. It was mailed to GTM for a reflash, returned and installed. That MAP is now gone and it will get a Beetle MAP once the the dBK and the airbox are fully intact.

I understand your train of thought, but I’m all in. The ergonomics and road manners of this machine are as good as I’ve experienced. Plus I tend to get attached. I’ve yet to sell a machine I owned for more than 12 months and as a result have 4 Guzzis in the garage. And if what you’re suggesting is selling a bike that’s not ‘right’, well, I can’t.

beetle, Bill Hagan and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:36 am

feeling a bit better about the service light/triangle of death.

Now that I'm running a stock MAP, it's looking for data from this thingamabob (O2 sensor)....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Comfortable that once I'm away from that MAP the service light will also leave.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:51 pm

Yup, if the bike is running a closed loop map and the sensor is missing it'll throw a 'Service' code for sure.
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:27 am

Update: have the complete air box installed, as well as the dB killer. Still waiting for schedules to align, but holy crap it already runs better even on the stock MAP! No stuttering at 5k. Can’t wait to get Beetle-ized!

Bill Hagan and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:37 am

Pearl’s getting new shoes and a Beetle map.

Last edited by kidsmoke on Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bill Hagan and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:20 pm

No beetle map today.

Little tech fail going on.

Hope for resolution in the next day or two.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:44 pm

I've responded to Kip's email.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:13 pm

Cool, thanks
Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:12 pm

Beetle MAP loaded. No trouble at all with the process. All technical difficulties were between me/my surface/ and my company firewall.

Took Mark's suggestion on the MAP (Mistral No dBk), since my set-up is a bit different, and so far so good. Very smooth. No stutter at 5K, and no longer wants to throw me over the handlebars when I roll off the throttle. Ride was cut short by rain and small hail, so I still have some miles to run to get re-aquainted.

Service warning and trouble light gone.

NExt up: momentary switch.

beetle, Bill Hagan, Nobleswood and kindoy2 like this post

Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:01 pm

Conquered the mapping challenges and got this project moving forward Cool

JohnA and kidsmoke like this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:39 pm

ratso88 wrote:
Conquered the mapping challenges and got this project moving forward Cool

Project?

Project?

wah chu callin' a project, bub?

There may be a few rough edges, but Pearl is a living breathing licensed and insured Swoop bike!

THIS is a project

THIS is ready to go.

beetle and Oz1200Guzzi like this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:35 am

Ok, well, perhaps I don't have the appropriate frame of reference, having only ever owned old Guzzi's, but I can't find anything to gripe about with the Beetle MAP.

This is the third MAP I've run on the bike in a month, first a GTM/with KN and no air box cover no dBk in the Mistral Oval Full Carbon, then OEM with pleated filter and stock airbox + dBk, now that setup with this MAP.

First two MAPs each had rough spots around 5k, and both yielded poor mileage, although I confess I'm a bit heavy handed. They were both 'snatchy' as well. GTM in particular. Difficult to accelerate at a modest rate, and engine braking like an angry mule.

This MAP is buttery smooth right up to redline. Roll off is forgiving while still providing plenty of braking. Planning a couple hundred mile day Sunday, still won't be the type of ride to guage mileage capabilities (hoping for at least modest improvement), but should reveal anything to complain about. But at the moment, I'm at a loss for words.

I'm not surprised to hear myself say this, but I'm a fan. Thanks Mark.

beetle and Clancy like this post

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:38 pm

I spy a Scura there in the background Kidsmoke! What # Scura do you have?

Smile

kidsmoke likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:23 pm

PJPR01 wrote:
I spy a Scura there in the background Kidsmoke!  What # Scura do you have?  

Smile

Can’t answer that, as it’s Ratso’s now, formerly Chucks,  and was Roper’s at one time…

Aka THE Mighty Scura.

Proud to say I personally brokered the transaction getting it to its ‘forever’ home. Ratso treats it in a manner worthy of its provenance, both in terms of maintenance and use. 😈

PJPR01 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kidsmoke
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
kidsmoke

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:40 am

Pearl: 36 mpg up from 29.

So far.

I suspect rural relaxed runs would push 40 which is what I've heard is attainable.
Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:02 pm

kidsmoke wrote:
Pearl: 36 mpg up from 29.

So far.

I suspect rural relaxed runs would push 40 which is what I've heard is attainable.

Even 42 is definitely doable as well...unless you're plowing into a severe headwind! The smoothness from the mapping is extraordinary...combined with a great tune up/Guzzidiag session...hard to beat!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polishing a Pearl   Polishing a Pearl - Page 2 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Polishing a Pearl
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2