GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Corbin ride-in, ride-out

Go down 
+5
sideshowbob
Street
rick pope
Holger
Svartipants
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

Corbin ride-in, ride-out Empty
PostSubject: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:00 am

I ride bicycles a lot. A lot a lot.. The GRiSO OEM seat is not uncomfortable for me, but I'm just 5'9" and 155lb, used to hard bike saddles, so the GRiSO could sometimes feel like a full nappy. And because the Corbin 'gunfighter' seat is kind of sexy on the GRiSO, and the Corbin factory is just an hour south of where I'm living, and Corbin has a custom ride-in while-you-wait service, and seeing as I had the day off, and because I'm flush with a California tax refund - I rode GRiSO to Hollister.

It was a good day out. I expected just a seat factory, but it was really a lot more - the whole experience was cultural, quintessential Americana - the employees are unreservedly welcoming, I was treated as a guest - given the run of the place - I could follow my seat from start to finish. I was told that the factory makes 100 seats a day, but I don't know how. I was there for 6 hours to make my one. It was awesome.

There are nice windy roads to Hollister, but I straight-lined it down the 101, past farms and the smell of silage via Gilroy (garlic capital of the world). I rocked up, signed in, and parked GRiSO next to a couple of immaculate Harley Davidson 114 police editions.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

One showbike in the lobby was stunning:

That's Julio shaping the foam for my seat.

First go; Julio put the foam on the bike and my arse didn't need that amount of space. So he glued more on. Second go; ride down the road - better, I'm more 'in' the bike, and my reach to the bars is more comfortable, but now the seat's too tight. So he trims more foam off. Julio's worked here for 37 years, and is a perfectionist - it was probably 3 hours of back and forth shaping this seat. No-one has ever paid as much attention to my arse, ever.

Pick a colour. I really thought that I wanted a part-red leather seat, but Corbin red does not match with the SE Rosso. So I went for purple. No I didn't. Beetle wrote black is GRiSO-appropriate. Beetle spaketh, Julio maketh. The Harley's went out with 'baby alligator' embossed leather. They looked great. I loved the snake-skin leather, and could have gone that way but Julio says to me, "funny - you don't look Puerto Rican".

One hour for lunch. Wizards cafe on-site! Spot the Britten and a Bert Munro impersonator.

Once the seat is shaped, Julio uses paper and tape to make templates of the foam. The leather sections are then cut, stitched, and embroidered. Anything you want, they can do it.

Bonus: Lightning Motorcycles use space in the Hollister factory. Richard Hatfield introduced himself (CEO) and had ALL the time in the world for me. Totally awesome dude - refreshing to meet a Silicon Valley founder who is not full of self-aggrandizing bullshit. He obviously loves what he's doing. The bikes look awesome - and check out the racing palmares on their website. The video of a Lightning totally dusting a Livewire is hil-arious (like, "byeeee"). So, I want one.

My seat, nearly there! 
There are plaques on the wall that note Corbin employees with 25, 30 years service. That's remarkable to me. I've flitted about the planet, and worked in a dozen different jobs since I left school. Trapped possums, milked cows, a zookeeper in Auckland for a couple of years. But I've been in the US 25 years now (married a California girl, met her in Dubai), and sometimes I feel asleep to it all. The US has been good to me - I've a wife and two daughters to show for it, but I still feel a kiwi - the voices in my head all have NZ accents, but once in a while I'm jolted out of taking it all for granted. Today was an utterly unexpected American experience - and it was a total treat. 

And my seat? Yeah, the GRiSO profile is just sexier with a Corbin;

And the voices in my head? Still have Kiwi accents;

Last edited by Svartipants on Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

beetle, janguzzi, JohnA, Utesch, Spruce Goose, Holger, SemperVee1 and like this post

Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:07 am

Hello,

thank you for your great report and the pictures of the work at Corbin.

What I find amazingly good is that they made you an exclusive and customised Corbin seat.

Surely more expensive than the Corbin seat for the GRiSO?

regards
Holger
Back to top Go down
rick pope
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
rick pope

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:51 am

What a great way to start the day. Thanks for the write-up.
Back to top Go down
Svartipants
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Svartipants

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:05 pm

Holger wrote:
Hello,

thank you for your great report and the pictures of the work at Corbin.

What I find amazingly good is that they made you an exclusive and customised Corbin seat.

Surely more expensive than the Corbin seat for the GRiSO?

regards
Holger

Same price Holger. The Harley-guy, Harry, had trucked his bikes up from San Diego and was there finessing a re-fit on his custom seat, no charge.
Back to top Go down
Holger
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Holger

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:35 pm

a really great service.

I also ride my GRiSO with the Corbin seat and am very satisfied with it.
The look is also stunningly beautiful.

kidsmoke and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:35 pm

Thanks for sharing a great story!

Pete (Street)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:55 pm

Those 216 lightnings are no joke. If I ever went to the dark side, That would be the one.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:30 am

what a great experience!
I wish they had a shop near me - I had issues with my Corbin that could have been resolved with some custom foam modifications as it wasn't quite contoured to my body. I wound up using an airhawk as a fix
Back to top Go down
BruPo
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
BruPo

PostSubject: Great Post - thank you   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:30 pm

Nice connection!

Yeah, the Corbin transforms GRiSO into a property long term throne.
Took mine on an 7k ride w/ 3-400 miles a day and my arse never once complained much less
complained.
- the opposite of a bike seat!

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.brettcartwright.com
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:05 pm

Maybe I would do something similar too, but in my case it must be a double corbin, because my wife doesn't let me alone for long. Nice adventure you met in this factory. Long journeys with Corbin 👍
Back to top Go down
GuZeee
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
GuZeee

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:04 pm

I also did the Corbin custom seat experience for my GRiSO (I lived 20 minutes away) and was extremely happy with the result and the experience itself.

I tell people “This seat was made specifically for my butt!”

Svartipants likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corbin ride-in, ride-out   Corbin ride-in, ride-out Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Corbin ride-in, ride-out
Page 1 of 1