GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.

Go down 
+2
GuzziSteve
Hcfarmer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hcfarmer
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Hcfarmer

Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Empty
PostSubject: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:33 pm

Today I topped up the oil level on my 2015 8V GRiSO. I rose it to a few places running errands, and when I stopped for a late breakfast, I noticed oil spots on the back tire. After doing some looking, I found that almost the entire bottom of the engine was wet with oil. Not very much though. After further looking, it seems it's coming from the oil filter gasket. When I topped up the oil, I did it as per the manual, and filled it to a little over half way between the marks. I've heard the GRiSO doesn't tolerate the oil level being at the top mark very well. Has anyone else had this problem?
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:55 pm

If the oil is coming from filter well & filter, stop. Put a pan under bike & drop filter and inspect, maybe last change left the old gasket in place. Clean off & reinstall or replace filter.
Filters don't leak from topping up oil, it's loose or messed up.

Hcfarmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:03 pm

+1
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:09 pm

+2

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:20 am

+3

BUT it may be spraying about from the bottom of the airbox if the drain pipe is not connected?

Look at the bottom of the airbox (between the throttles). You will see a  stub pipe coming from the bottom - is there a tube connected to it?   High oil levels cause oil-mist to breathe in to the airbox where it should be ingested into the engine.
If the drain from the bottom of the box is not connected - it can drip oil all over the gearbox where it will run down behind the starter and spray everywhere underneath (and the airbox is also free to ingest unfiltered sand and air as you go).

Hcfarmer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hcfarmer
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
Hcfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:02 am

I've checked all the hoses, and they're good. The oil is only around the filter and bottom of the engine, and nowhere else. The thing that concerned me was it's gone almost 5,000 miles since it's last oil change and didn't start leaking until I topped it up. The oil I topped it with was the same brand and type the dealer used when they changed it. However, the color was different.
Back to top Go down
Chris W
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Chris W

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:03 am

make sure the dipstick is fully tightened
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:07 am

Well if the oil is genuinely only coming from the filter or filter seal you are potentially seconds away from a total loss of oil pressure.
GuzziSteve wrote:
If the oil is coming from filter well & filter, stop. Put a pan under bike & drop filter and inspect, maybe last change left the old gasket in place. Clean off & reinstall or replace filter.
Filters don't leak from topping up oil, it's loose or messed up.
I was just hoping there was another cause Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.   Oil filter leaking after topping up oil. Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Oil filter leaking after topping up oil.
Page 1 of 1