GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

LED Indicators Flicker when Off

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BMR
Montanarolo
Montanarolo
BMR

LED Indicators Flicker when Off Empty
PostSubject: LED Indicators Flicker when Off   LED Indicators Flicker when Off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:51 pm

Hi, all:
Pete refrain - I know you hate LED indicators :-) before I start here...

I am in the process of swapping out the OEM indicators (black plastic/rubber mount broke), and decided to put in some TST Pods.  Only put one in so far as a test, no resistor...yet. It flashes, as expected in sequence with the other 3 stock oem indicators, but on swithcing off, there is a dull flickering glow from only the LED turn signal...  (Wiring: Yellow to Light blue (hot), black to dark blue (ground)).

Does anyone have experience with this?  Is this a product of one LED only installed as yet, or is it something more...sinister...:-)  

Going to continue to change all 4 indicators, first without resistors and see, if like the moto gadget ones, they work without the resistors, and if the flickering disappears.

Will keep folks posted, as I am sure this is something others will encounter or have encountered.  Any input gratefully recieved.
Cheers BMR.

UPDATE: Just found this.

"The dash sends a tiny current (40 microamps) to each indicator, if the bulb or the wire is broken the path for the current is open and the dash throws up the lamp out alarm.
We had one owner here a while back complaining that his after-market LED bulbs were glowing dimly even with the key turned off, it turns out the 40 microamp current is always present and his LEDs were so sensitive it was enough to make them glow, the solution I suggested was to add a 1K Ohm resistor in parallel with each lamp."

Probably explains it. Wonder if the 18W/10 ohm resistors I have ordered will damp this down?

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: LED Indicators Flicker when Off   LED Indicators Flicker when Off Icon_minitime1Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:15 pm

Don't worry, I'm not about to descend into spluttering fury! I'm just not a fan of LED indicators.

Yes that is I believe the cause of the glow. Given that others with similar indicators with resistors fitted don't experience the problem than it's likely it'll cure it.
Back to top Go down
Yahu
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Yahu

PostSubject: Re: LED Indicators Flicker when Off   LED Indicators Flicker when Off Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:14 am

I have had LED turn signals installed for over two years, without any additional resistors or any problems.
Back to top Go down
IamSpartacus
Carlotto
Carlotto
IamSpartacus

PostSubject: Re: LED Indicators Flicker when Off   LED Indicators Flicker when Off Icon_minitime1Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:40 am

I put 50w, 6ohm resistors on mine ($7 on ebay) and that fixed the "glow" on my LED blinkers when the key was off. It also turned off the warning light on the dash.

mickfinn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED Indicators Flicker when Off   LED Indicators Flicker when Off Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

LED Indicators Flicker when Off
Page 1 of 1