GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Replacement indicators

Go down 
+2
Phang
wyno
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

Replacement indicators Empty
PostSubject: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Last year I got an aftermarket exhaust from Pete Roper. When it was on it pointed straight at the left rear indicator. After a time, the lens melted and fell off, so Pete very kindly sent me two new lenses. Unfortunately, the metal housing had warped because of the heat, so I held them on with clear sticky tape. I am now (belatedly) getting the rego changed from ACT to Victoria and I had to get new indicators as the Govmint doesn't like ones held together with tape. The roadworthy mechanic told me I could put a set from Yamaha straight on (they also fit 916 Ducatis), so that's what happened. If you ever chuck your GRiSO down the road (heaven forbid) and the indicators get busted, a set of these Yamaha ones will set you back $25.00AUD each instead of however much the authentic ones are here in Oz. I would have liked to get the originals, but being strapped for cash has made me go this route. If anyone else is in the same boat, it's a cheap alternative.
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:41 am

Hi wyno, do you have a pic of the Yamaha indicator?

All my indicators split at the stalk, I replaced them with original Guzzi indicator (expensive!) but it split again Rolling Eyes

So I bought some cheap ebay indicators that look quite close to the original with solid metal tube embedded in the rubberised stalk, the mounting base of the stalk of the ebay indicator is different from the original and needs a little modification.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:01 am

Hi Phang, I still haven't been able to work out how to post pics from my Mac, but if you send me an email to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I'll be able to post pics to your return email address. I just went out and took some for you.
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:38 am

Here you go (with some editing)

It looks like a direct fitment, one more option to consider when I replace the indicators next round.

Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:41 am

Don't worry about the number plate Phang, it's getting changed to Victorian rego next week.
For everyone else, yes I know the bike is dirty, but it gets ridden every day of the week, and most days it's on building sites with lots of dirt. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:51 am

My ebay indicators look like this, got to put a big stainless steel washer under the nut when I mount it on the rear mudguard (fender)

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:01 am

Timely thread as I was thinking the other day that my indicators all look like shit because I'm not a polisher and they've all rubbed on stuff and got the nasty fake chrome peeled off in places.

I was wondering if anybody had found some smallish LED ones with resistors already incorporated so you don't have to piss-fart around with separate resistors that will plug pretty much straight on!

Because I'm also a pain in the arse I'll specify that I don't want ones that look like molluscs, Saxon crosses, skulls, insects, or extras from a 'Sword and Sandal' epic from the late 1940's Hollywood genre.... Just something that looks like a bloody indicator, OK?

Pete
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:17 am

"Just something that looks like a bloody indicator, OK?"
And someone said you were boring. Hah. (Only joking Pete).
As long as these do the job, I'm happy. Not as stylish as the GRiSO originals, but beggars can't be choosers. And it has to pass the RWC. At least the exhaust you sold me did. I wasn't sure if it was going to without the db killer in, but it did.
Back to top Go down
tocino
Nibbio
Nibbio
tocino

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:15 am

Phang, your pic with the broken indicators makes it look like your GRiSO is so sad! Smile

Wyno, dirty bike = used bike = happy owner, so good on you. I have the opposite problem: work has been crazy lately which means no riding in weeks, means my bike is clean. In the garage. Alone. So alone.

Pete, are you saying you wouldn't be proud sporting these bad boys? I mean, it's a turn signal *and* a mirror, all in a package that says "Back off! I'm serious about about safety - but still have a tough individualistic edge." What will they think of next?!

Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 am

tocino wrote:
Phang, your pic with the broken indicators makes it look like your GRiSO is so sad! Smile

When I removed the bike cover, she looked at me like a sad Gazoo with broken attennae  Basketball

Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Wyno,

Great tip! Do you know what Yamaha model these are from?

Mine are doing what Phang's did, one by one. So far I've just replaced one....
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:00 pm

I have a found a cheaper fix for such annoyances.  Very Happy

Bill
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:48 pm

I don't know which one it is Moto, but I will find out. The dude who sold them to me and did the roadworthy has gone to the Oz GP this week end so I'll check when he gets back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
I was wondering if anybody had found some smallish LED ones with resistors already incorporated so you don't have to piss-fart around with separate resistors that will plug pretty much straight on!

Pete
Hi Pete,
I've got Oxford Nano indicators on the back of Bella (excuse the h/d site below) best picture I could find showing the resistors etc.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Trust me, they are bright, effen bright. They also have a rubber midsection, mine are 3 years and 10K old and no signs of wear.
Replaced front with conventional looking chromed alloy jobs for the retro look but they have pitted badly in less than 2 years.
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Went to see the guy who sold me the indicators today. They're sold in OZ by a group called Cykel, and they fit the Triumph Daytona, Speed Triple and Ducati 916, 996,748 and 998. They also fit the Yamaha WR 400. The only thing you have to do is solder the wires to the Guzzi wires. For something that costs a quarter of the originals here in OZ, I can put up with that.
The part number is 20-I83 and I 84.
Back to top Go down
Phang
Biondino
Biondino
Phang

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:12 am

I crimped the ebay indicator pigtails with matching connectors (they came with bullet connectors). Those are MOLEX two pins connectors

I made a mistake by assuming both left and right indicators are male pin but it turned out one side use male pins and the other side has female pins so that you don't mix up the LEFT and RIGHT

And one more thing, there is a mistake in the wiring diagram.

On my bike, Red/Blue is actually rear LEFT turn indicator and Light Blue/Blue is actually rear RIGHT turn indicator

Imagine the frustration after I corrected the connector pin mistake, buttoned up everything, turn on the ignition and flicked the indicator switch... Yes, LEFT RIGHT indicator as what Luigi typed in item [17] on the wiring diagram, surprise!!! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:07 am

Wyno, those indicators are shit ugly. Reminds me of stock beemer crap from the mid 90's.
I would have thought 675 Street Triple or 07 Ducati Hyper indicators a better more modern style, same type of mounting but long arrow head shape.
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 am

Yep, they're ugly, but when you have no money, you get what you can.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:14 pm

wyno wrote:
Went to see the guy who sold me the indicators today. They're sold in OZ by a group called Cykel, and they fit the Triumph Daytona, Speed Triple and Ducati 916, 996,748 and 998. They also fit the Yamaha WR 400. The only thing you have to do is solder the wires to the Guzzi wires. For something that costs a quarter of the originals here in OZ, I can put up with that.
The part number is 20-I83 and I 84.

Wyno,

Thanks for that! Even if I can't get the Aussie item here (USA), I now have a list of bikes that I can use as a basis for searching for other aftermarket ones that should fit.

Much obliged,

Moto
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:23 pm

The Australian Cykel company has the most extensive list of replacement turn signals I've ever seen:

I wonder if others besides the one Wyno got would also work. Some look pretty similar to the GRiSO's.

EDIT: In particular, a model for the Yamaha WR450W, rather than the WR400, probably (?!!!) has the same seat and looks less boxy: 120-I118 and I119.

M.
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Well, Cykel is a wholesaler, but I found a retailer that lists the WR450W signals at AU$23.96 each. See a better view of these here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Unfortunately, they ship only to Australian addresses, so I'm still out of luck. But encouraged.

Moto
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Moto, I'm sure a member here would purchase and post to you if you so desired.
But I wonder if there is a supplier of off-road Yamaha parts closer to you, and bloody cheaper than Australia.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:17 pm

MIto, I'll happilly buy you a set and post 'em over to you if you wish?

Pete
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:08 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
MIto, I'll happilly buy you a set and post 'em over to you if you wish?

Pete

Pete, I may take you up on that!

First, I'll do a bit more looking for domestic sources.

I have the impression that the "W" version, WR450W, wasn't imported to the U.S. We did get the WR450F which is an off-road bike without indicators.

Thanks,

Moto/John
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Well you don't get the Bellagio either. Probably find that Aust is the only country that DEMANDS an off road bike must have indicators, therefore these parts might be generic to us downunder.

Pete, if they are too hard to locate economically out there in the bush, I get a reasonable discount at a local shop, will see what they can do.

Just found this in Portugal, half price to here, as in AUD$24 for a pair, not each.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacement indicators   Replacement indicators Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Replacement indicators
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next