GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Guzzi V7 running hot

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

Guzzi V7 running hot Empty
PostSubject: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:09 am

Gents,

knowing it's not a GRiSO but still a Guzzi.

We got a V7 (750CC) running hot.
Riding through town after 15 km you feel it on your knees and starts stuttering when acceleration at second gear.

Replaced two o2 sensor, phase sensor, spark plugs, oil.
So thinking it must be oil circulation.

Post it on the Grsiso Ghetto knowing here are the wizzards.

We will measure oil temp at the dipstick and exhaust temp to be exact.
Anyone got sn idea??

Thanks
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:58 am

Witch V7 is it? Have you changed oil filter? There are short & long ones.
Did you look at GuzziDiag for measurements?
Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:40 am

A V7 2015[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We measured oil (by hand) 30 Celsius and engine (infrared) 130 Celsius.
That seems to me as oil not pumping around issue.

Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:08 pm

A 1 TB and no air will be that hot. The fan on a 1400 comes on at 125C. If you don't think oil circulates then crack an oil line & check pressure. No oil lines? Then crack open the Idiot lite switch, it ought to cover bike w/oil. You could also take off a valve cover & make a tray out of tin foil to go around edge. Start it up & rev it, oil should squirt out of rockers like a garden hose.
Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:38 pm

Ordered an oil press gauge.
Will replace tje oil press switch with this gauge.
If ok i will take the valve cover of as you suggest.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:30 pm

Warning! Unless I'm forgetting something I think on the Smallblocks the oil pressure switch also locates the cam! You really don't want to remove it and move the crank at all or chaos ensues! It's also a prick to get to!

Have you checked/replaced the plug caps? The ones used on the early heron head single TB bikes were shitful. See if you can still get NGK replacements.

Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:00 pm

Pete.
thinking about the oil press relief valve stuck.
Maybe missing something but, how is it that the oil is relatief cool while the engine extremely hot. In the first place is the oil for cooling. Bike starts great but starts to stotter when hot. Can that be an ignition issue. Will replace the plug caps in advance.
Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:31 pm

Check valve clearances. It may be a valve being held off its seat.

Oil has three purposes. To cool, to lubricate and to clean. If oil pressure or volume were low it would have run its big ends by now so I really doubt its issues are oil related. Sure it's running hot. Smallblocks do. They also only have two litres of oil in so it's worked pretty hard but there are millions of them running around, a lot of them in much hotter environments than yours, with no problems. If the oil is getting much too hot pressure will be compromised and you'll get an oil light before it makes the 'Dogga-Dogga' noise. As I keep saying, I don't think it's an oil issue.

The plug caps on these models are notorious, that's why I suggested them. Check the valve clearances. Plug in Guzzidiag and check for faults and look at the sensor readings. My guess is that your worries about radiated heat are unfounded.
Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:07 pm

Still don't get it that the engine is hot (over 120 celsius) and the oil is cold (30 celsius).
But lets do the valve clearance.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:09 pm

There must be some problem with measuring the oil temp. If it's been ridden for 15 minutes the oil would have to be hotter than 30*C. The oil must be circulating. If it wasn't it would have run its big ends ages ago. Plain bearings simply can't function without a constant throughput of oil at pressure. It's how they work. Take away oil supply and they will melt in seconds.

Where are you getting the temperature from? If it's being read via Guzzidiag it's probably simply the ETS giving a false signal due to an air gap in the holder.
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:04 am

If worried about oil, drop pan & check that valve, next to oil filter cavity. That is why they make a spacer for them, to add more oil. New filter & 10/60 to shed heat would be good too.
Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:02 pm

Filter and oil new. Did valve clearence. Replaced both 02 sensor and phase sensor.
About 15 celsius outside. new sparkplugs. Anyway. well measure what we can.

At the end we will know. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:07 pm

Plug caps are on order!
Back to top Go down
Deepdive
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Deepdive

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:39 am

Actually we are at the point there is no heat issue. It occurs after 15 minutes riding and going idle. It stutters when going through gears. Than after stop, the enging stops. after it stops we can start inmediatly but runs bad. Riding away we need to give a fair amount of throttle to keep the engine running. Suppose we ride from cold on the highway there is no issue till we stop.
Seems like an fuel air issue. Cant find leaks and Guzzi diag give no faults.
Still want to find the issue myself but need som ghetto help

Back to top Go down
80CX100
Carlotto
Carlotto
80CX100

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:50 am

I know little about the small blocks,but KiwiRoy had some bizarre heat issues on an earlier? V7 that actually resulted in open flames.

Iirc his bike had excessive heat around the exhaust/engine area;something to do with cheaper heat shielding material inside the muffler/catalyic converter/heat shield ? idk.

The final chapter,he was stopped at a red light & a motorist pointed out flames coming from his exhaust;Roy luckily extinguished the fire but it was very close to turning real ugly.

Is your bike one of the models with the faulty heat shielding?

Idk but take a look at the big picture.

fwiw good luck

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guzzi V7 running hot   Guzzi V7 running hot Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Guzzi V7 running hot
Page 1 of 1