GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Tappett covers & right side protection

Go down 
+3
paulbrice
80CX100
evansnows
7 posters
AuthorMessage
evansnows
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
evansnows

Tappett covers & right side protection Empty
PostSubject: Tappett covers & right side protection   Tappett covers & right side protection Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:22 pm

A while back now, on a busy road a gravel truck had not secured his tailgate and as he'd pulled up at the lights it swung open and
covered the road in sand, gravel and rocks. Being in heavy traffic I didn't see it until the car in front had driven over it by which time it was too late to avoid it. The front wheel slid away as I drove over it and I came down. Banged up knee, stiches etc and the tappett cover, bottom of the oil cooler shroud and bevel box all scraped up.

I had earlier, having seen the damage done when the bikes go down and rub through the tappett cover contaminating the engine
thought that this was point worth tackling. Having read Petes opinion that the protective covers that bolt to the frame are not a good idea at all, I worked out a different approach.

These are the solutions I used.
6 mm fibreglass, capped with carbon fibre and a solid stainless steel piece bolted on to that

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A series of stainless bolts on the bottom of the oil cooler shroud

And another fibreglass / carbon / stainless steel cover on the bevel box

I also took off the paint and polished the tappett covers. Today I gave them another polish and coat of Nylac protection. You can also see the headers which I had Ceracoated in black 18 months or so ago and the plug covers I made when the tiny Guzzi logo fell off.

BowraBoy, Svartipants, mickfinn, Tarrega and 80CX100 like this post

Back to top Go down
http://c-space-solutions.com/
80CX100
Carlotto
Carlotto
80CX100

PostSubject: Re: Tappett covers & right side protection   Tappett covers & right side protection Icon_minitime1Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:49 pm

That's thinking outside the box & some amazing glass work.

Love your use of hard bits & hardware to armour up;

Nice touch on the oil cooler.
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: Tappett covers & right side protection   Tappett covers & right side protection Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:15 am

All great solutions....personally I'd rather keep the aesthetics & take whatever damage happens (I've only it dropped it once & just minor scuffs)

Back to top Go down
tinker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
tinker

PostSubject: Re: Tappett covers & right side protection   Tappett covers & right side protection Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:00 am

Nice work
Back to top Go down
Tarrega
Squinternotto
Squinternotto

PostSubject: Re: Tappett covers & right side protection   Tappett covers & right side protection Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:10 am

Beautifully done!
Back to top Go down
BowraBoy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
BowraBoy

PostSubject: Re: Tappett covers & right side protection   Tappett covers & right side protection Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:21 am

Great work. Very impressive indeed. I do have bolt on protectors. All of my drops have been at 1-2 jpg in gravel car parks so the shearing possibilities don't come into it.
Back to top Go down
stimpetta
Squinternotto
Squinternotto
stimpetta

PostSubject: Re: Tappett covers & right side protection   Tappett covers & right side protection Icon_minitime1Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:18 pm

Lovely work. My 1100 GRiSO has sacrifial plastic bolted to the rocker covers as standard Wink but other mods look good.
Back to top Go down
https://smallmouse.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tappett covers & right side protection   Tappett covers & right side protection Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Tappett covers & right side protection
Page 1 of 1