GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

rear wheel came off

Go down 
+40
Bulldog9
ratso88
knumbnutz
PJPR01
klaas123
waterbottle
Conor W
Papa Lazarou
bahamazoo
Charlie J
mark111
AOAM
little750
Ralf z
bradbusa
RR Bob
Blue
Tod.
f-man
Stoked On Spokes
opc
bikesnbones
moto
pauldaytona
Grisodude
grisorosso
wardest
Bill Hagan
Phang
tocino
Grisonut
wyno
Andy in NZ
LBC Tenni
Oz1200Guzzi
CPB
Pete Roper
beetle
DungeonMaster
keenerkeen07
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
bahamazoo
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
bahamazoo

rear wheel came off - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:23 am

Thanks for the reminder bump keenerkeen!
A harrowing tale indeed!
checked mine again just now, all clicked straight away @110Nm.
new tyres later this week, so new bolts to be sourced, drilled and wired...
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:04 am

great that you picked up on the bump..
Drilling the heads and safety wire seems to be the best option
Cheers
Keener
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri May 20, 2016 7:03 am

Just a bump to check your rear wheels again
the thread is worth the read ...
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri May 20, 2016 12:24 pm

Not had this yet, but I did have an entire whell collapse hacking hard round a bend in the Forest of Dean on a sidecar outfit. Just missed the huge drop on my left.

Quite fun, at the time. Nearly died-but didn't.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:40 pm

well I thought time for a bump..6 months since ...good info for those unnoticed ..see page 1
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:10 pm

THREAD BUMP

December gone I did a  lazy 1400kms on the GRiSO.
Left home with what I thought was enough tread on the tyre , tread wear indicators well below bottom top of tyre grove/tread.
Long story short 50kms north of Balina on the way back from the GC the bike had a vibration.
See pics below of my Metzler .
I googled bike shops near by and found Ballina Motorcycles who offered to fit me in straight away. Big thanks to the guys.

While waiting I couldn't remember the exact torque specs for the rear wheel so I looked up the figure care of the Ghetto and asked the guys to let me know the torque required to undo the bolts.

Some of the bolts were around 40 Nm well below what is required and well below the figure when last checked. Glad it was found in time.
New bolts to be ordered and I am thinking of drilling the heads for lock wire.

Perhaps the added wear came from the luggage weight or probably my miss calculation either way glad to tell the tale

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Sorry to have a contrary opinion but I believe there are only a few reasons for the reported loose wheels, over-tensioning which has stretched the bolts (it would require a significant force to do this), defective bolts (always a possibility the way Guzzi sources parts), under-tensioning (most likely scenario) or some crap lodged between the mating surfaces of the wheel and mounting hub which has prevented the wheel from seating fully and and consequently allowed it to work loose.
The wheel bolts used are the same configuration as many cars especially European and in a former life I tightened a gazillion wheel bolts and never had one work loose.
I know a few people have had issues but replacing bolts regularly and especially lock wiring is in my opinion (and it is only that) overkill, no pun intended.
If people bother to ensure there wheel bolts are tensioned correctly and check them periodically it is highly unlikely you will have an issue.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

IMO ....   drill the bolt heads  torque to spec and safety wire .....DONE
what do you have to loose ........besides  possibly  your life..
Sleep well , and enjoy the ride
Back to top Go down
Conor W
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Conor W

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:22 am

Bump. Changed front tyre today ( old one was in embarrasingly well used state - tyre guys shook heads and gave me the tsk tsk look ...oh the shame) . Anyway while I had the torque wrench and other bits and pieces out checked rear studs. Have digital torque thingy so was able to check as-found torque. 3 seemed in good order (well at least > 110 static which isn't real indication I know) but one was definitely low at approx 80nm breakout to tighten. Backed off lot and re-torqued to 110. Worth the check.
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Wardy, F- 900 torque seal or Cross Check
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:14 am

I ordered this tool for drilling the bolts:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
klaas123
Biondino
Biondino
klaas123

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:44 am

And how about these, suitable??

Back to top Go down
PJPR01
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
PJPR01

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:06 am

Interesting read...going to have to check the bolts on the Norge, GRiSO and Scura now...good reminder thread! Bumpity bump bump bump.
Back to top Go down
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:55 am

i got heart palpitations reading that!

They're a taper lock, so I guess once they a just a little loose, they will quickly loosen off all the way.
Back to top Go down
ratso88
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ratso88

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:33 am

Just a little bump

and

Safety wire is a good thing. It will not keep your fasteners tight, that is not the purpose.
It's there to keep the fastener from falling off if/when it becomes loose.

I safety all kinds of stuff every day at work. Never found anything that was safetied loose.
We also use torque wrenches all the time for just about everything.
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:05 am

All is good with my GRiSO 1100 re the rear wheel ......thanks for the bump ...
Back to top Go down
knumbnutz
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
knumbnutz

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:12 am

Hey, I went looking for new bolts. Seems its either 60mm or 70mm long with 25mm thread length.
Will 70mm fit with 25mm thread and the rest unthreaded or is 60mm long enough?
Back to top Go down
wardest
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
wardest

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:16 am

knumbnutz wrote:
Hey, I went looking for new bolts. Seems its either 60mm or 70mm long with 25mm thread length.

AF Racing has them in stock.
Easy Thumbs Up

Please don’t be tempted to use Ti bolts .
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Who needs wheels?
Back to top Go down
Bulldog9
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bulldog9

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:36 pm

wardest wrote:
knumbnutz wrote:

AF Racing has them in stock.
Easy Thumbs Up

Please don’t be tempted to use Ti bolts .

Agreed, this is one of those times the RIGHT bolt is a necessity.

I check mine at every oil change, put about 10lbs less on the torque wrench and make sure they all click. So far none have loosened, but you never know.....
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:28 pm

mark111 wrote:

I know a few people have had issues but replacing bolts regularly and especially lock wiring is in my opinion (and it is only that) overkill, no pun intended.

I'm with you, Mark111. I've had loose bolts once on a Breva 1100, but that was due to dealer inadequacy. Never had a problem since.

No one has mentioned Loctite. Wouldn't applying a bit on the threads help allay any concerns?
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:26 pm

mark111 wrote:
Sorry to have a contrary opinion but I believe there are only a few reasons for the reported loose wheels, over-tensioning which has stretched the bolts (it would require a significant force to do this), defective bolts (always a possibility the way Guzzi sources parts), under-tensioning (most likely scenario) or some crap lodged between the mating surfaces of the wheel and mounting hub which has prevented the wheel from seating fully and and consequently allowed it to work loose.
The wheel bolts used are the same configuration as many cars especially European and in a former life I tightened a gazillion wheel bolts and never had one work loose.
If people bother to ensure there wheel bolts are tensioned correctly and check them periodically it is highly unlikely you will have an issue.

Hey Mark111 thought to lend out another opinion since I was the original victim of this thread ...Wink
Drill out the heads Torque to spec and safety wire the bolts ........simple effective and peace of mind is self-assured...
There is no such thing as overkill when there is the possibility of your fricken wheel coming off as it did me ...
Ride on
Keener
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:34 pm

I had the wheel nuts come loose on Mar III's bike after I'd done something to it. It was weird because I know I'd tightened them correctly and I'd been on a longish test ride on it and it was all good them Mark rode it just into downtown Bungendore and the wheel nearly fell off!

I accept full responsibility but it was very odd. I'm super careful with them now!
Back to top Go down
keenerkeen07
Nibbio
Nibbio
keenerkeen07

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:49 pm

Pete, I have to believe that because of my experience and the shop that did the work, which I believe did their job as you more than likely did as well to spec, that whatever the reason is it is well worthwhile to do the most fail-safe job by safety wiring the fricken bolts... it's really that simple. (and easy to do)
Sorry if I sound like a nancy but in this case it just makes sense ..
My opinion is valid i will not wain ...
Cheers
Keener
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 pm

There's a parallel thread on this subject in GRiSOLOGY in which I posted pics of my lockwire job and a link to a professional jet engine mechanic showing the proper way to do it (half way down page 1). Gives me peace of mind, hope others will find it helpful too.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear wheel came off   rear wheel came off - Page 5 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

rear wheel came off
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next