GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Bucking, surging and dying at idle

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

Bucking, surging and dying at idle Empty
PostSubject: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:23 pm

I told myself if the same symptoms came back it is probably not the phase sensor that I have replaced twice.

Took the bike for a test run and it nearly stranded me, see title.

Exact symptoms as previously. Bike runs fine until hot then PPPBBLLLHHHHTTTT.

As my diagnostic skills seem to be lacking I open the floor to ideas.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 pm

Did you get the shimming right? The last pic of it I saw it had had a close shave...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:28 pm

Yeah, I replaced that sensor and used a stock size shim. It started and ran fine on a short trip into town yesterday on a cool afternoon. Today hit 81 F/ 27 C so I thought I could get it up to temperature as a test. 25 minutes into a casual ride the bucking started. It stalled at every stop.

I got the same results with three different phase sensors and a variety of shim stacks so I am ready to look elsewhere.

Last edited by guzziownr on Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:29 pm

Is the tank breather vent clear?

This is vexing me. It shouldn't be this difficult. scratch
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Pete Roper wrote:
Is the tank breather vent clear?

This is vexing me. It shouldn't be this difficult. scratch

I will check it but this problem seems temperature related. Bad coil that flakes out when hot?

It was good and hot when I made it home. I put a timing light on the right plug wire and it flickered at times and held steady pulses at others while idling.

Then the bike would just stop.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:04 pm

What do the plugs look like?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:58 am

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 am

That's left & right, in order?

Not awful. Left looks like it could use a smidge less fuel, and right, a smidge more.

I would expect one to be more fouled if the there was no spark.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:08 am

Yup. But the strobe says spark is dropping out scratch Can you plumb a noid light into the ignition circuit? And then into the injector circuit?
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:44 am

Plugs are in order, hard to tell if the spark is dropping and slowing the idle or vice versa.

"Can you plumb a noid light into the ignition circuit? And then into the injector circuit?"

'splain please!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:46 am

beetle wrote:

That's left & right, in order?
Not awful. Left looks like it could use a smidge less fuel, and right, a smidge more.
I would expect one to be more fouled if the there was no spark.

Agree. Do you suspect fuel starvation? Is this something GuzziDiag can show?
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:46 pm

GuzziDiag won't show a pump or filter problem, but you can test the injectors. Fire them into a container to see if you get approximately the same volume from each side.

Thinking more about the plugs, you would ideally have to pull them immediately after the problem occurs to confirm.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:21 pm

beetle wrote:

GuzziDiag won't show a pump or filter problem, but you can test the injectors. Fire them into a container to see if you get approximately the same volume from each side.
Thinking more about the plugs, you would ideally have to pull them immediately after the problem occurs to confirm.

The "problem" was occurring to the point that I I had to push the bike the last 20 yards (uphill!) to get it to the garage. Plugs were pulled once the engine cooled a bit.

Thinking pump/fuel filter Hmmm?

Recap:

Bike has less than 10K miles, problem started at 6K.

Starts and runs perfectly until hot then intermittantly cuts out while running and will die at a stop if not revved
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 pm

In that case, definitely test the injectors.

I don’t think it would be the filter, as it would cause issues even when cold.

Pump? Maybe, but how do you confirm? Kinda hard to simulate the conditions when it occurs.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:01 pm

beetle wrote:

In that case, definitely test the injectors.
I don’t think it would be the filter, as it would cause issues even when cold.
Pump? Maybe, but how do you confirm? Kinda hard to simulate the conditions when it occurs.

Injectors first then maybe swap the pump... What could go wrong  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:50 pm

guzziownr wrote:
Plugs are in order, hard to tell if the spark is dropping and slowing the idle or vice versa.

"Can you plumb a noid light into the ignition circuit? And then into the injector circuit?"

'splain please!

Noid light? Tiny globe or LED that you put in parallel with the item being tested. If it illuminates then it shows you're getting signal.

guzziownr likes this post

Back to top Go down
80CX100
Carlotto
Carlotto
80CX100

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:48 pm

I'll echo Pete's comment re the venting being a possibility;you haven't confirmed if that was verified.

I'd read about "tank suck" issues a few times,but never experienced it until recently with my '03 V11 Lemans.

Similar scenario & symptoms; low mileage,new to me bike,that the venting had to be completely replumbed to atmosphere & the tank vents cleared & opened up in order for it to run properly.

Hopefully your fix can be that simple.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:21 pm

The intermittent spark indicated by the strobe points away from a venting issue but it's certainly worth checking. The tank vent is the one on the right. On the 1100's they ar on the bottom of the tank, the vent will go to the charcoal canister if still fitted or vent to atmosphere if it has been removed. The nipple on the left is the gutter drain from the filler.

If the problem is appreciably worse, or starts quicker, when the tank is full? Then it is almost certainly a vent issue.

80CX100 likes this post

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:09 am

80CX100 wrote:
I'll echo Pete's comment re the venting being a possibility;you haven't confirmed if that was verified.
I'd read about "tank suck" issues a few times,but never experienced it until recently with my '03 V11 Lemans.
Similar scenario & symptoms; low mileage,new to me bike,that the venting had to be completely replumbed to atmosphere & the tank vents cleared & opened up in order for it to run properly.
Hopefully your fix can be that simple.

I had really bad tank suck with my '04 V11 Sport. Fixed by repositioning the tip-over valve. My tank is almost empty so I will pop it up and check the hoses.

80CX100 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:49 am

If it's almost empty it's unlikely to be that.

The larger the air volume in the tank the greater the time it will take for the tank to become so depressurised that it can overcome the pump. If your tank is nearly empty you could try just opting it open with the second key when the problem starts. If that doesn't cure it then it's not a tank pressure problem.

80CX100 likes this post

Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:14 am

Pete Roper wrote:
If it's almost empty it's unlikely to be that.
The larger the air volume in the tank the greater the time it will take for the tank to become so depressurised that it can overcome the pump. If your tank is nearly empty you could try just opting it open with the second key when the problem starts. If that doesn't cure it then it's not a tank pressure problem.

Agree, given the state of the plugs I am leaning towards injectors/fuel pump.

The fact that it has to get hot to act up and that the problem has been getting steadily worse makes me think a slowly failing fuel pump.

80CX100 likes this post

Back to top Go down
80CX100
Carlotto
Carlotto
80CX100

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:12 pm

Iirc,some of the early model Grisos had the internal fuel lines that would fall apart from the ethanol & fuel;

Could that be a factor for your bike?

fwiw idk
Back to top Go down
guzziownr
Nibbio
Nibbio
guzziownr

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:06 pm

80CX100 wrote:
Iirc,some of the early model Grisos had the internal fuel lines that would fall apart from the ethanol & fuel;
Could that be a factor for your bike?
fwiw idk

Nope, it starts and runs until it gets hot. Fuel lines popping off means no start, no run...

80CX100 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bucking, surging and dying at idle   Bucking, surging and dying at idle Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Bucking, surging and dying at idle
Page 1 of 1