GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Luggage, again.

Go down 
+30
Stubbie
Street
jretanacr
Laker
Fissionmaker
Grisonut
Duquois
f-man
Tod.
waterbottle
Conor W
tocino
Canyon Carver
odder
Steak
bikesnbones
Triman023
rboe
Bill Hagan
DungeonMaster
Oz1200Guzzi
Omnis
Ralf z
89millegt
beetle
keenerkeen07
mark111
Tassiedevil71
Pete Roper
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Luggage, again. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:57 am

Glad to hear it worked for you, Pete.  I had my doubts given the mounting challenges that beetle described ... and also that I included no straps!  Shocked

As far as water protection, I have not found any OEM or after-market option that is 100% effective.  And especially not for rain such as your crew recently experienced in that Ozian monsoon.

That said, I have come to just use thick plastic bags on the inside of whatever luggage I am using and that seems to work best for me.  No flapping, etc., of some near-useless cover.  And, like that saddle man ... it's cheap.  Very Happy

Bill
Back to top Go down
Triman023
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
Triman023

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 am

Pete
I made a drastic modification to my Saddlemen bag, after it rolled off onto the exhaust and melted. I cut small holes in the inside corners of the bag and threaded bungy cords through them, they criss cross on the inside of the bag. They hook to the front lugs under the seat and the luggage rack on the back. I also reinforced the holes. I also got a piece of thick rubber sheet that drapes over the seat and glued the worthless mounting pad to it, it keeps everything from sliding. Now the bag is solidly on the seat and I can access the lid. Whoever designed this thing had no idea how to do it. Now it works and holds a lot of stuff.

Yes its weird looking but so am I... cyclops
Back to top Go down
f-man
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
f-man

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:35 am

Hello Pete, is it the large Saddlebag that you habe used and we can see in the pictures? Sven
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:52 am

You can see it on the back of my bike in the Cabal Australis thread on page 16 I think? Dunno if it's the 'Big' one? Probably?

Pete
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Well my Givi lock rings have been here for a week now , and looking at them , Guess what, it doesn't want to lock onto the tank base ring properly.
If you look in Beetles photo, just above each Red cam are 2 little ears that touch the base of the bag or case and push the cams down into the proper alignment position. A soft-ish  bag base will allow these to flex upwards and one or more of the cams to detach.
Tested this by holding it all up under a glass coffee table and it locks in every time
The product is good, but we might need to insert a hard plastic or aluminium plate between the bag and the lock ring.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:09 pm

That explains why my modified Guzzi bag kept detaching. Or does it? The base is quite rigid. Hmmm...
It locks on OK, and would detach when hitting a bump.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:48 pm

Maybe your not as rigid as you think Laughing Testing on the kitchen table mine would lock on 3 lugs easy, and with not much effort pull off.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:50 pm

On my GIVI bag, there is a plate between the bag and the mount ring. It seems to be designed with that imperative.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Duquois
Carlotto
Carlotto
Duquois

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:29 am

I had a look around at the various panniers and throwovers that were available. A mate spent £930 on a set of H&B panniers, topbox and frame, which works well for him. They were a bit big for my liking.

I had a look on Fleabay and noticed a few old Craven panniers for sale and bought a bought a pair of white ones for £62. They're made from fibreglass and were too flexible so I used Tigerbond to fix 1.5mm aluminium plates to the inside edge to brace them. I also bolted the corners to make sure they'd be strong enough. I then took the frames off the crappy flexible MG panniers and fixed them to the Cravens.

They've now done about 6 touring trips around Europe and seem to have held up well. They're also totally waterproof, not bad for 45 years old! They also matched the GRiSO white colour pretty well.

As I've recently changed the GRiSO colour from black to white, I've had them sprayed black too.

I wish I'd mounted them about 25mm lower than I did, but otherwise they do the job. As they're slim, filtering is easy too! Total cost - £75.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

They won't be to everyone's taste but they're fine for my purposes. My tent goes in an 50 litre Ortleib bag, which sits across the back seat and top of the panniers. My other half doesn't like bikes so I don't have to consider her!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
How they look now. I'll just spray the white bit between the frame hanger black.

The original MG had something like 4kg max load, but I've had loads more in these and they work fine, they're also 28 litres each, so have enough capacity.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:55 am

You're confusing me... I thought you went from white to black with your bike? scratch
Those big cases will look better in black though. Not in your face as when they were white IMO. Yikes!

I got me some Givi V35 for mine and with a bag pack, I got enough stuff to last me a week.
I don't camp so no need for me to carry a tent but I if I did, said tent would go on top of the cases side ways...
Back to top Go down
Duquois
Carlotto
Carlotto
Duquois

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi, my GRiSO has gone from white to black. The white bike photo is an old one. The black panniers show the recently sprayed finish. I only fit them when I need them.
Back to top Go down
Grisonut
GRiSO
GRiSO
Grisonut

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:10 pm

OK, understood.
I too, only install the panniers when going on a trip.
Pain in the arse to get on and off the bike with them on.
Back to top Go down
Sfregiato
Sfregiato

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Thanks for the update on the photo 89millegt. Lost track of where this thread was.

It's not not too far at all. I have got to get back to the northeast with my bike for some fall riding. Hopefully the Adirondacks area.

I can imagine it's just got to be spectacular on some of those days at the height of it's color in the cool weather.

Hope you have a great riding season!

Back to top Go down
Fissionmaker
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Fissionmaker

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Ventura makes a nice custom modular pack rack system. Second one I've owned. Use the sport pack daily to carry my man bag and lunch vitals.
Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri May 22, 2015 2:56 pm

I picked up a used set of the GRiSO saddlebags for my girl. When loading up for the Not-a-Rally I discovered that the sleeping bag would NOT fit in one side. And you can't split the sleeping bag, you're pretty much stuck with one piece so I ended up using my trusty Wolfman medium duffle to hold everything as well as the large tank bag. No saddlebags.

While noodling this out I confirmed that the sleeping bag WOULD fit in the Ortlieb saddlebags (in fact, just what I used for the Datil Rally last year. Well the mounting system for the Ortliebs leaves a bit to be desired so I did some snooping around. Whoever makes the GRiSO saddles uses the KLICKfix mount and a fellow inmate here said that same mount was available on Amazon.com:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So I ordered them up, installed them this afternoon. Very Happy  I get fully waterproof luggage and more cubic room. To top it off, it's even more ugly than the GRiSO bags! What's not to like?!

Back to top Go down
Laker
Biondino
Biondino
Laker

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri May 22, 2015 4:01 pm

rboe that's brilliant! Ortlieb makes fantastic panniers and I love the ones I use on my bicycle.
Back to top Go down
jretanacr
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
jretanacr

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello EveryOne,

I just Bought the Moto Guzzi Semi Rigid Side Cases. Wanted to ask if this not so smooth looking detail si right, or if it is not well manufactured.

Back to top Go down
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Oops. That looks like it was abused somewhere along the line. Time to return it for one in tip top shape.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Interesting saddle, rboe, what's the deal on that?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
rboe
Tiradritto
Tiradritto
rboe

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Wimpy bum. Stock saddle kills my bum, so I bought this Russell Day Long from Pete.

Bloody nice seat! Looks like warm dog farts but when I'm sitting on it I can't see it. Makes the bike an easy 600 mile bike.

But I do need todo something about the windscreen. Too much turbulence noise. I may have trade it for an Africa Twin.
Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Mon May 29, 2017 9:28 pm

It is fugly, but if it cuddles yer bum, who cares!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Steak
Godfather
Steak

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Tue May 30, 2017 11:35 am

At least the Ortlieb bags cover a lot of that saddle up!!!

cheers

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 am

Anyone have an idea of price for posting Givi 3d600 panniers from UK to Australia? I can get a good used set for round 100 pound.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:15 am

Try Here
Back to top Go down
Stubbie
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Stubbie

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:38 am

Thanks. According to them it should be about 65 pounds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luggage, again.   Luggage, again. - Page 4 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Luggage, again.
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next