GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Fuel range

Go down 
+20
Spaceknight
Tolle09
Street
Omnis
tocino
Blue
little750
The Saint
Oz1200Guzzi
Triman023
Charlie J
Grisonut
Tod.
ronbo10
bikesnbones
Steak
Pete Roper
garyclem
beetle
Converted Duc
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:14 am

G'day all,

I have now had the bike for about a month and just did something I have not done for years, I ran out of fuel...... Rolling Eyes  I saw the fuel light come on, it comes on what I thought was pretty early but hey what would I know, any how the bike came to a stop after 189 kms of average city riding, what I want to know is on average how long do you folks get once the fuel light comes on before you absolutlely must fill up (normal urban riding). Also what sort of range do you get from a tank is 180 odd low?
The bike is still new to me and i am learning but I thought I might borrow some of your experience.

By the way after I filled her up she has been running like a pig with one cylinder cutting in and out, I have only done about 2 kms so I hope it will clean itself out after a good ride. You know the funny thing is I was still smiling as I pushed her to the petrol station, thinking to myself well you wanted to know just how far she would go now you know Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:29 am

I used to have a 9 litre reserve so I adjusted the sender unit. Now the light comes on and I count to three, then the fire goes out. But that's at 260k on a 16 litre custom tank at 130-140kph
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:06 am

~190km is about right for a barely run-in GRiSO with a stock map. It will improve slightly, but they still drink a lot around town and even on the road with a dancing throttle hand.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:15 am

Oh wait, you bought a previously loved one didn't you? Roper remapped it didn't he? scratch

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
garyclem
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
garyclem

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:15 am

if your travels were purely in Sydney city traffic ........ then 180 probably sounds about right I'm guessing, but you will/should get at least 260+ on trip at sensible speeds above speed limits before running out, even with some more spirited riding on occasions ......... anyway that is my experience .........  on a trip, my trip computer tells me I consume in the range 4.7-5.2 l per 100 klms and the 'light' usually comes on at about 240 or there about. I reckon I'd be good for almost 300 at legal speeds ......... but Beetle has done his 'secret men's business thingy' with the map confused
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:22 am

Have you had the plugs out? The running on one, missing and farting sounds like the old 'Damaged plug caps' issue. Take the covers off the plug caps and HT leads and look and listen for the spark 'Snapping' to earth. Do it after dark and it's easier to see.

Dunno if I've seen this bike or not?

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:49 am

Pete Roper wrote:

Dunno if I've seen this bike or not?

Wasn't this David's GRiSO? I dunno what pipe he ended up with but it had a Mistral Hi-Pipe I think??

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:51 am

Gary, surely you didn't get that range before it was remapped????

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:59 am

My fuel light came on "early" today at about 115 miles (185 kms.) When touring I generally expect the low fuel light to come up in the 150 mile range (240 km) with an empty tank around 185 miles (300 km.)

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:09 am

Yeah boys this is Dave bike and it has the Mistral high pipe. She was running fine until I ran out of fuel. I'll have a bit of a play tonight and see what she runs like.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:13 am

If it's David's old bike it should be fine, has it just been serviced or anything?

If it persists in being stupid I'd like to have a look at it.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:34 am

I presume it has the Mistral map? If so, you should get better range than that. Unless you ride around at WOT all the time. scratch

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:46 am

It had the no dBk map in it and was running like a champ.

Why I'd like to see it is because if it has been recently serviced, (Would of been by me.) and its fuel consumption has gone through the roof and its misfiring it could of shat it's tappets. I have no idea why but I've had a rash of failures this spring. David's bike might have the same issue.

I'm NOT trying to scaremonger but it's one of those things that it is very, very important to catch early if you want to avoid more damage. That bike has a FSH a I believe so it shouldn't be too awful if it has gone West.

Check the plug caps first. If that doesn't work check the valve clearances. Any doubts? Ring me 0417 462 440.

Pete
Back to top Go down
bikesnbones
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
bikesnbones

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:56 am

As regards the tank range issue, I would be more interested in the fuel consumption.
Assuming you'd run the tank down from completely full, then then you did 117 miles (sorry I can't think in km's) for 17 litres of fuel (3.78 gallons Imp) which is the bikes tank capacity.
Dividing 117 miles by the total amount of fuel used gives your average at 31mpg (rounding up slightly)
I'm given to understand that this is quite acceptable around town mpg for the 1200, so running out is down to you, rather than a problem with the bike.
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks for the info Pete, it has been running fine and from the sounds of it my consumption is pretty well spot on. I ran out of fuel because I was pushing to see how far I could actually go and it caught me out about a mile from where I was going to fill up.

It only start running poorly after I filled her back up and then found it would run fine but occasionally fart and run on one cylinder. I have not done more than a km or two so I'll see if I can't clear her up with a longer run.

I am running the bike with the db killer out and am keen to come see you so I can talk about the pipes as discussed earlier. Just have to find the time off to get down to Bungendorre
Back to top Go down
ronbo10
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
ronbo10

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:32 am

I'm very new to the GRiSO as well, if not Guzzi's in general. Had only about 250 miles on mine before the winter here in Pennsy put a stop to my fun.

Converted Duc, it sounds curious that your GRiSO started to run poorly after you filled up. I was told when i took delivery of mine that if you top off the fuel tank to, say, the bottom of the filler cap well, the overflow will run into the evaporative canister and then cause the engine to run very poorly thereafter for a time (overly rich, I was told). I'm not sure for how long you could expect to experience this, if indeed this is the case here.

Do you still have that canister installed?

Or did I get it wrong from the salesman, and this is not the case with GRiSO's as I (believe I) was told?

Anyone else here on this forum have experience with a rough runner following a fill-up?

Good luck with your GRiSO!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:48 am

Did you get the dB killer off David? While the dbK 'Out' map has a bit more top end the dbK 'in' map is sublime, and you don't go deaf!

Pete

PS. We don't have the Evap canister in Oz.
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:24 am

Hi guys,

Just got back from a ride and I can report that the bike is running far better than yesterday, she only had a small hesitation when I hamfistedly opened the throttle at low RPM but cleared herself and ran fine.

I have noted that the idle is not as smooth as pre cock up but all in all I think it is fine.

Pete yes I do have the db killer and I think it runs smoother with it in but hey the sound with it out is just addictive. I'll try a run with it back in and see if it runs smoother as I only took it out this week end and am probably not comparing same same!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:52 am

Two different maps for dbk in and out. It won't run optimally with the dbk in with the current map. Lambda is off so it is open loop and won't self trim.

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:05 am

What was it running like before you ran out of fuel? I'm wondering if there's crud in the line or a dicky injector?

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:15 am

I was thinking air-lock in the fuel filter. I've yet to see a buggered injector and never a clogged fuel filter on a bike so young.....

Pete
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:30 am

Fairies nuts. Yeah, air lock. That would cause random effect on either cylinder wouldn't it?

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Converted Duc
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Converted Duc

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:22 am

I am back to work so will check again this weekend. i agree that the bike is noticeably smoother with the db killer in but that sound.... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tod.
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
Tod.

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:19 pm

If I ride my 1100 like a wuss, I can get 160miles out of a tankful before the light comes on. Sitting on an autoroute at 80-85 mph, 119miles. I've never ridden it until empty, the furthest I've gone with the light on is a sphincter puckering 6miles.
Back to top Go down
Steak
Godfather
Steak

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:42 am

Once, and only once, I got 200 miles out of a full tank on an 1100 and refueled on fumes. The 1200 hundred is much thirstier and I've only stretched it to ~185 miles a couple of times.

2012 MOTO GUZZI GRiSO 1200SE

2013 MOTO GUZZI STELVIO 1200NTX - Orange Blossom Special
Back to top Go down
https://www.grisoghetto.com
Sponsored content

Fuel range Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel range   Fuel range Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Fuel range
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next