GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Would you buy a demo bike?

Go down 
+6
Oz1200Guzzi
KevinEmpire
H-E-ROSS
Bill Hagan
nev
muzhik
10 posters
AuthorMessage
muzhik
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
muzhik

Would you buy a demo bike? Empty
PostSubject: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:02 am

So I'm growing impatient in my hunt for a good used Tenni...

At this point I'm leaning heavily toward a '15 - and not worrying about all the valvetrain conversion headaches.  I'd rather get a bike and start riding than wait for parts and always wonder if there was damage done before mitigation (granted at 1,000 miles that's unlikely, but I'm not going to find many with that few miles).

So with that being said, should I be concerned about buying a demo '15 instead of a virgin '15 or '16?

The way I see it, odds are the demo miles have not been done with the utmost attention on proper break-in (lower revs, some restraint on the powertrain and brakes...).  How much of an issue has that proven to be?  Tappet issues aside, I'm led to believe Guzzis are built like tanks (just without adequate lubrication in the steering head, swingarm pivot...).  Then there's the comfort of full warranty on a new or demo bike that's never been titled.

If you were in my shoes, would you go after a demo to save a grand, or give up the extra $1K (or so) for the peace of mind that comes with knowing the break-in was done by the book (provided YOU/I could/can resist the temptation to flog it before the first service)?
Back to top Go down
nev
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
nev

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Muzhik , I've never ridden a virgin !

I purchased new in October 2015 but it had 8km on the clock, she'd already been around the block !

The parting words from Mario , the dealer , were  " Don't baby it "

Ive been told that machining tolerance' are better now than in the past so "break in ' is not so crucial , I don't know.

Ithink motorcycles are abused through lack of maintenance not by being flogged

So no I wouldn't fear a demo bike plus for the babe at home its really a used bike that you are buying !
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:28 pm

What nev said.  Well, except for his first line.  They all said they were.  Wink

My own GRiSO -- that you will ride tomorrow -- was a "press bike."  That really worried me until I learned that it was only used for photos.  

Hmmmmm.  That sounds like what those women said.  Rolling Eyes

Anyway, if the demo or whatever came with a warranty, I wouldn't worry (much).

Bill
Back to top Go down
H-E-ROSS
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
H-E-ROSS

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:45 pm

I have always bought used motorcycles, but I have bought a few demo cars with no complaints.
I think you could beat on the dealer a little harder and save more than a grand though.
See the the thread by Showerfan, it looks like he is considering selling his low mileage GRiSO.
Back to top Go down
http://h-e-ross.com
KevinEmpire
Tanabuso
Tanabuso
KevinEmpire

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:52 pm

Make sure you ask about the warranty in service date. I work for a guzzi/piaggio dealer and official demo models do not get the same warranty as regular stock. They actually get a slightly longer warranty (30 months) but it starts the moment the dealer demo registers the bike.

Other than that, I would imagine on a GRiSO you wouldn't have much to worry about with it being a demo. The "typical" person who wants to demo a GRiSO, in my experience anyhow, isn't the guy who's going to be trying to clutch up wheelies and hit the limiter as soon as he's left the dealer's eyesight with it. Haha

Last edited by KevinEmpire on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
muzhik
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
muzhik

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 pm

KevinEmpire wrote:
... The "typical" person who wants to demo a GRiSO, in my experience anyhow, isn't the guy who's going to be trying to clutch up wheelies and hit the limiter as soon as he's left the dealer's eyesight with it. Haha

That's good, 'cuz I'm that guy.

Don't tell Bill jocolor
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:35 pm

muzhik wrote:
KevinEmpire wrote:
... The "typical" person who wants to demo a GRiSO, in my experience anyhow, isn't the guy who's going to be trying to clutch up wheelies and hit the limiter as soon as he's left the dealer's eyesight with it. Haha

That's good, 'cuz I'm that guy.

Don't tell Bill jocolor

We are not amused.

OK. Maybe a little. Wink

Bill

Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:25 pm

I Would - in fact I did, but that's another story
Back to top Go down
Papa Lazarou
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Papa Lazarou

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:31 am

Yes. Simple.
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:54 am

OK, probably needs explaining...

years ago I purchased my Sport form Sydney dealer Motorino. All good, came with zero km on the clock. Took it back to them for servicing and found them to be "dodgy" on a good day. Had a shunt form behind, and some damage to the inner guard, and outer guard at the back. Insurance sorted it out quickly - back to Motorino to get work done. Picked bike up to note that the inner guard hadn't been replaced. It was closing time and no one could help me. Phone calls the next day to them, I was told the inner guard had been changed, stupid me argued the point till they just hung up on me. Phoned insurance co and they organised Motorino to supply me the inner guard (at no cost to me) and gave me $80 to fit it myself. Motorino not my favourite any more for some silly reason. In fact they told me never to come back - gotta love customer service like that.

Move on 15 months, front disks are "warped" and TiN coating on fork sliders is wearing off. Went to Paulls at Richmond and they managed to get a claim on the R/H disk that was "warped". All good, they posted it down to me. As I didn't buy the bike from Paulls, they were reluctant to further deal with me. So, I got onto JSG, the importers. Promptly was informed my bike was out of warranty and have been warranted as a demo 6 months before I bought it.

I know, there are laws around this stuff, but by then I couldn't be arsed (as I had just got out of hospital from brain surgery), so just let it go. So be careful, be be brave.

Would I do it again, Yes - but I would negotiate hard as it's a demo. Funny thing was, there were no kilometres on the clock, maybe they swapped a dash from another one?

Incidentally the warped disk I sorted as the bobbins were too tight to float (it is a floating disk) - judicious use of a drill (on the end of a bolt through the guts of the bobbins) freed them up nicely and it was only a few years ago, when I dropped the bike getting it off the trailer, and I bent the disk carrier, when I replaced with the brand new spare I had had for some time. Anyone need a warped disk carrier, with disk still on it?
Back to top Go down
waterbottle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
waterbottle

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:24 am

The Guzzi world is a small one, thanks Tony , we can avoid these types,  if we're fore warned Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
muzhik
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
muzhik

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:13 am

Warranty in service date, aye! Thanks for that, gents.
Back to top Go down
boxerscott
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
boxerscott

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:15 am

I would buy a demo bike. but not for a grand less than new. would expect at least 1.8k less, failing that new is a better option.
Back to top Go down
Scot p
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
Scot p

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:48 am

boxerscott wrote:
I would buy a demo bike. but not for a grand less than new. would expect at least 1.8k less, failing that new is a better option.

Got my demo for ~6K less than new, 2010 bike purchased early 2012 Smile plus made 2K more on the trade than it owed me Smile. Dealer was getting out of guzzi, ok I have not yet gone down the path of having anything warranty work done on it, now 4 years old...

cya
Scot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you buy a demo bike?   Would you buy a demo bike? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Would you buy a demo bike?
Page 1 of 1