GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

First oil change

Go down 
+24
GuzziSteve
Nobleswood
OldMojo
bioman
Steedracer
Leone
lcjohnny
Evilgarfield
Buellbloke
Dark Helmet
Peaceman
DangWangi
Chriso
TalkingGriso
Canyon Carver
NorthBayGriso
stevie1
Grisonut
Pete Roper
Steak
Uzidzit
DungeonMaster
Oz1200Guzzi
keenerkeen07
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
OldMojo
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
OldMojo

First oil change - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:24 pm

Steedracer wrote:
Today, I went to what has been my local Guzzi dealer here in Middle TN and was disappointed.  There were no Guzzis there (they’ve even picked up Triumph now, though there were two Aprilia’s there), they had no 10W-60 for sale, had to order the oil filter (“I’ll have to check with the Piaggio rep to see if they are even available currently”), and since mine is a 2007, the service desk said “we don’t really work on anything that old anymore”. 😳. Looks like I’m going to have to rely on you guys a lot!

I'm sorry, but that's just horseshit. Steer clear of those clowns. If they can't be bothered to stock the absolute bare minimum necessary to do the most common service on a brand they supposedly represent, then they're useless.

beetle, lcjohnny and Svartipants like this post

Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:47 pm

The filter is common to every big block since the early 90's to the mid teens of this century. They do seem to be astonishingly gormless.

There are a swag of perfectly acceptable alternatives to the stock filters, both oil and air, (And even fuel.) do a search for 'Oil filter cross reference' or the like, it'll bring up some names. Don't be tempted to replace the stock paper air filter with a K&N/BMC type 'Reuseable' labyrinth filter though. All it will do is accelerate wear on your throttlebodies and engine for no performance gain.

Oh, and as for oil? Any good quality full ester synthetic in 10/60 will be just fine. Napa or Pep Boys or whatever has to have something on the shelf.
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:57 pm

With a bike that's new to you it's not a bad idea to change the fluids straight off. You get to know the bike better & any lack of servicing by the previous owner or shop they took it to is sorted out.

A GRiSO is a simple & robust machine to work on, order filters online & bypass the idiots. Changing the gearbox oil & yearly bleeding the clutch with the brakes made my bike better.
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:36 pm

Steedracer wrote:
I know that oil threads get a lot of grief, but for someone who just bought a 2007 GRiSO 1100 with no manuals or history and no experience with Guzzi’s, I greatly appreciate the commentary here.  After checking my oil yesterday (hate the black plastic stick!) and seeing how dirty the oil is, I know I need to change the oil (got the bike two days ago).  Today, I went to what has been my local Guzzi dealer here in Middle TN and was disappointed.  There were no Guzzis there (they’ve even picked up Triumph now, though there were two Aprilia’s there), they had no 10W-60 for sale, had to order the oil filter (“I’ll have to check with the Piaggio rep to see if they are even available currently”), and since mine is a 2007, the service desk said “we don’t really work on anything that old anymore”. 😳. Looks like I’m going to have to rely on you guys a lot!

On the dirtiness of the oil the most likely cause is the Power Commander and associated 'Accessories'. Knowing the source the bike is probably running absurdly rich and suffering a heap of blow-by which will be contaminating the oil and contributing to accelerated wear.
Back to top Go down
lcjohnny
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
lcjohnny

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:05 am

That black plastic oil stick

If you make a series of small e.g. 0.75mm (that is 1/32" for old folks) holes from one side to the other between the high and low marks.

Then then when you want check the oil - just knock them all out, re-insert the dipstick and then hold it up to a light - you can see which are empty

Steedracer likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steedracer
Carlotto
Carlotto
Steedracer

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:55 am

I downloaded the owner/use manual from AP1 Racing today, for my '2007 GRiSO 1100, and I had also downloaded one from a free Manuals website (manualslib.com). Regarding fluid specifications, the AP1 manual lists 10-60W for the oil. The manualslib.com manual I have, which looks totally legit in every way, though I think it is the UK version, has totally different specs for fluids (e.g. 5W-40 for oil). That is puzzling. Has anyone seen that before?
Back to top Go down
GuzziSteve
Fra Cristoforo
Fra Cristoforo
GuzziSteve

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:31 am

Yes, it's left over from the Hydro engine days. All the V11 LM models say to use it too and maybe the Breva book.
You want the right stuff not a hodge/podge manual made up of what some proof reader thinks.

I always look here---------------------------------

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Steedracer
Carlotto
Carlotto
Steedracer

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:38 am

Wow. Thanks for the link. I just got the bike 10 days ago, with no manuals or any MG experience (for my vintage Suzuki GS that I’ve had the last three years, the GS resources forum is invaluable). This site is going to be a great resource for me. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Hyde73
Carlotto
Carlotto
Hyde73

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:39 am

Doing my first full fluid change on my 2014 GRiSO and have an oil capacity question.  Previous owner installed an aftermarket dipstick/temperature gauge that does not come with any kind of markings for Hi/Low fluid levels, which is amazing.  So, is there a set amount of oil to ensure a proper fill w/ filter change?  I've seen 3.2L-3.6L.  My goal is to get the correct amount in and then score a mark on the fancy dipstick for future checks.  Or should I pick up an OEM dipstick?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
eighteight
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
eighteight

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:42 am

Mark the current level on the "fancy" stick and use as a reference as you refill

Hyde73 likes this post

Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:06 pm

Fill the oil filter up before you screw it on, then add no more than 2.8 litres to the sump.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!

JohnA, lcjohnny and Hyde73 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
JohnA
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
JohnA

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:17 am

I only bought 3 liters for my next change (I also have a 2014) so I’m not tempted to add more……
What Beetle said….

Hyde73 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Hyde73
Carlotto
Carlotto
Hyde73

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:22 am

Thanks for all the info. Have a great weekend!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First oil change   First oil change - Page 3 Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

First oil change
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3