GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Empty
PostSubject: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:39 pm

So during my recent crash unfortunately the left moto guzzi pannier was damaged. The zip tore open making it non functional, and the mounting system on the pannier has a tear in it. Unfortunately replacing the zipper is apparently an extremely difficult undertaking which no luggage repair shop, tailor or shoe maker in Amsterdam is willing to burn his fingers on. At best they can put a leather 'blocker' on the damaged area causing the zippers to meet there.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For the mounting system on the bag I believe I can replace it with this:

Though I'm not 100% certain they are in fact the same.

Or potentially I could simply repair the crack with two component glue and a thin slice of plastic.

However I was also thinking now would perhaps be a good time to simply replace those incredibly tiny bags with something a little more spacious, that perhaps also looks a bit more impressive, maybe some nice leather bags. However to save cost I'd prefer not to replace the OEM luggage mounting rack (plus I'd end up with large holes in the rearpiece where the mounting system was attached). Does anyone know of any decent (and affordable) luggage options for the side that will fit the OEM luggage rack?
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Those mounts look the same as the originals and from there you could fit anything you like, within reason. The weight would be the governing factor. How about some Pelican cases or similar with those mounts installed on them?

Pete
Back to top Go down
moto
Grignapoco
Grignapoco
moto

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Though I haven't had those mounts in my hands I do believe they are the same ones as on the OEM bags. In fact, I believe, the "MOT" in the parts code stands for Moto Guzzi. The manufacturer's web site claimed some association w/ MG, as I recall.

Of course if you are not going to be using the OEM bags anymore you could just unscrew the mounts from them and attach them to new bags.

I've looked, and don't think any other motorcycle bags have the same mounts, but many bags would allow you to screw them on.

Moto
Back to top Go down
odder
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
odder

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 am

Klickfixx make the mounts for Guzzi and aprilia factory bags

I beilieve the aprilia shiver/dorso use the same luggage mounts. Might be able to find a used set although they have a different shape
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks all! Can't believe I didn't think about mounting the mounts on new cases Smile Will get some nice leather bags.

Thinking of two of these though not sure if the roundness will give too much issues with the flat mount. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or perhaps some Willie and Max bags, they look nice on the GRiSO I think, but all their bags are rather small (about 18 litres per bag): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:10 pm

I used some spare C bow mounts and fitted them to a pair of generic leather bags. The capacity is fairly modest but they are a good size for day trips or when you don't require big capacity. They of course can be swapped for my standard hepco & Becker C bow bags when needed or the mounts can be removed from the bike in 5 mins if you want the stock look.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks for the picture, those bags look great on your GRiSO! Are they a particular brand?
Back to top Go down
mark111
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
mark111

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Bags are just a generic Fleabay offering, didn't want to spend a fortune to prove my idea. The important part was having some good support inside the bag to make sure the load was spread on the mountings and wasn't taken by the leather that might tear.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks, I think I've found some nice Willie & Max bags I can use which I'll give myself for x-mas Wink Unfortunately they hold just as little as the GRiSO panniers, but at least they look stylish.
Back to top Go down
motor-timothy
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
motor-timothy

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:23 pm

So I finally got around to ordering and installing the new bags. Since these are 'cruiser bags' I had to cut away the flaps that would normally go under the saddle. For the mounting I had to drill a 2cm hole for the lock and 3 small holes for the screws.

I'm quite happy with how their look fits the bike, although the bags are a fair bit softer/more flexible than the guzzi panniers, so I'm considering adding a hard plastic plate to the backside of the bags. Then again these were a fraction of the cost of the guzzi panniers (I paid 120€ for them, and 60€ for the Klickfix mounts) and they can hold a bit more than the panniers due to the more practical shape (they are however a little bit thinner than the guzzi panniers are when fully unzipped).

Here is the result in case anyone else is looking for inspiration (ps don't mind the scratched exhaust, currently replacing it Smile ):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?   Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system? Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Luggage options that fit the OEM mounting system?
Page 1 of 1