GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

Wheelie on My Norge!

Go down 
+5
GUZ21
sidrat
Oz1200Guzzi
Pete Roper
Bill Hagan
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

Wheelie on My Norge! Empty
PostSubject: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Yes, I know this is a GRiSO forum, but I ask your indulgence for a sidebar on my Norge.

I sent much of this as an email to some folks I had invited for "Moto Grappa Tech Days" later this week, but thought I'd toss a larger net as I am running out of time.  Oh, and I am also skeered I will drop my wheelless Norge off the lift! Shocked  No  affraid

As usual in such instances, especially moto ones, I have, à la that famous petard caper, no one except myself to blame.  Sigh.

So … months ago — it’s embarrassing to say how many — I put the Norge up on the lift to R&R the engine oil.  I’ve managed to drain it (very well, as you might guess!) in all that time, but was waiting for the MGTD-I to refill it and mebbe swap out other fluids, too.

Tempus fuxit or something like that.

I decide last week that I’ll R&R the tires, too, and, even better, have that done when the victims … erm … esteemed Guzzi colleagues arrive to help with other tasks.

I took off the wheels, front first.  In fact, thought I’d do them individually.  Unfortunately, the dealer (without fault on their end at all) only had the rear tire in when I brought my front wheel.  Hmmmm.  Drove right back home and — after considerable cursing and coaxing — got the rear off, too.  

Well, that is why you are reading this … or, at least, I hope you still are.

Take a look at these (only 10, FGS, so stop whining) pix.

Norge on Lift Sans Wheels

Perhaps you see my problem already.

Had I known I was going to do a tire swap when I put the Norge on the lift, I’d have deployed the center stand.  I didn’t.   scratch

By taking off the front first, I had to do a (yes, half gluteus maximus) jerry-rigged prop to get the rear wheel off.  Used a stout rubber chock under the center-stand bar.  Yes, I know.  Rolling Eyes

There was a decided clunk when the rear wheel came off.  No damage, but the the Norge “settled” in a convincing way onto the chock.

It was and is (even more now than then) strapped well onto the lift.

But it leans and — here, finally, is why I write this! — I cannot remount the rear wheel.

Even with the lift’s rear cutout removed, the Norge is too far forward on the lift for the wheel to be put into place such that the bolts and holes line up.

In the middle of this earlier today, I called Wayne O. and Steve K. for help.  Wayne suggested letting air out and some other helpful points; Steve came up with straps to hold the wheel while I tried to make it all work.  

The forward edge of the cut-out keeps the wheel from being able to go forward with the CARC in its position.  The CARC sits too low for the wheel to fit when it's below the cut-out opening.  Any value in strapping the CARC and exerting pressure to lift the CARC so that it pivots up a bit up and aligns with wheel?

I intend to install some eye hooks in the MG ceiling when my competent help arrives soon.

Anyway, you see where I still am, as I said at the top, defeated and thus solicit your suggestions now.

Many thanks.

Bill
404.EIGHTZEROEIGHT.8486
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Think I am off my window ledge now.

It was cold out there, too.  Wink

Aside from a number of "interesting" suggestions to my email inquiry, I just made a near-perfect Old Fashioned.  So fine.  cheers

Anyway, unless someone here shouts "STOP! Back away slowly!" I plan to do one or more of the following.

1.  Wait for adult supervision, which arrives on Wednesday.

2.  Get a small scissors jack from one of our cages and, with an intervening block of wood -- and, after ensuring RIGHT side straps are snug, gently lift the CARC up until I can get the wheel in the right position.

In the meantime, COA #1 is looking better; it's still cold out; and that Old Fashioned may just need a companion.  Wink

Grazie & g'night.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Bill, if the Jack is firmly under the sump wait until the mob arrives, drop the lift and get a burly oaf on each side to prevent spillage. Then tighten the strap on the opposite side to the lean and start jacking it up until you can get the rear wheel on. It will be best if you can re-install the front wheel first as it will help prevent the bike trying to slide forward off the Jack because if it does it will all turn to poo very quickly!

Wait until you've got help though. Really.

Pete
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Then, Sir, it shall be.  Seriously, will do.

Absent an earthquake -- they happen here, but not often  Rolling Eyes -- it's solid ... just looks scary.

Appreciate the counsel; EMS would take awhile to get to me pinned under that beast. Wink

Bill
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:16 pm

We all do stuff like that from time to time and hopefully we learn from the university of life!

I remember when a had one of those bland Bavarian things with saggy tits - took it to the local MCAS for a tyre change (they don't work on the bike, just the wheels). Rolled up, put the thing on the centre stand, removed front wheel, took it inside. Went back out, removed rear wheel, now front heavy, fork bottoms kiss ground, bike rolls off centre stand - now even a dwarf little person can throw a leg over.

Embarrassingly had to ask from help from shop staff. I wonder why they were openly laughing at me? No damage done to the Bavarian thingy, but did feel a tad embarrassed myself

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:52 pm

^^^^^^

Appreciate the moral support.  I felt pretty foolish for a bit.

Was tired enough to head to bed and, now, on my second Kentucky Rx, I am, even with Kathi 3000 miles away, mighty fine.   cheers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Best,

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 pm

Bill, try sitting with your back to the wall undoing the left side footpeg brackets on a Ducati, to which, unbeknownst to me has side stand attached.

Couldn't understand the claustrophobic feeling until it pinned me to the wall.
At least I didn't break any ribs that time.
Back to top Go down
sidrat
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sidrat

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:27 am

Bill, you really are in a pickle!. I think reinstalling the front wheel, lowering the lift and lifting up the rear end to put the centre stand up is the only logical answer. If everyone says jack up the carc then go for it, but it would worry me!
Back to top Go down
Pete Roper
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Pete Roper

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 am

No! No jacking up the bevelbox! There lies dragons!

Burly oafs and care with pressure under the sump is the way to happiness, (And less blood and tears!)!

Pete
Back to top Go down
GUZ21
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
GUZ21

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:46 am

Aha. I know this problem. The pain is doing it yourself unassisted. But I have strong beams on my garage roof, and at least it can't fall over. I don't have a scissor jack, just lots of blocks of wood of various sizes for under the sump. These can can be either jacked up using a car jack, or the stand itself can be lowered as the bike is well suspended. Put strong rings in the ceiling if you can, and suspend bike with ratchet straps.
Back to top Go down
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:21 am

Good morning — or whatever it is where you are on this wonderful planet — and thanks, again, too, for your counsel here.

Read all your thoughtful (and commiseratingly funny) comments carefully, and appreciate them.

My plan for present predicament is to wait for the “labor pool" to arrive on Wednesday for the “Moto Grappa Tech Days” festivities, mount the front wheel when it’s back from dealer (to avoid Norge deciding to roll forward while no vise engaged up front — thanks Pete), lower the lift to floor level, and have my “staff" do some some manhandling of rear while I align and mount that wheel.

Down the road this week or spring (when it’s warmer), as I have access to the overhead space via an “open end” — tho I may let someone younger and more agile up there! ;-) — my plan is either to put eye bolts directly in to the joists, or attach a 2x6 overlay on joists, followed by heavy eye bolts up and into that cross member.  See pix, below, of construction that show what’s above ceiling.

I had not done that when I built the place, but more than sloth was at play.  In fact, in a rare display of foresightedness, I deferred because I knew that my lift would likely not be wherever I first put it.  That has happened, and —w/o regard to the immediate embarrassing problem — I think I like its location is close enough to perfect for making it permanent.

I had eye bolts in my previous “GarageMahalo” in Atlanta, coming down from some seriously manly beams, so I appreciate the utility of it all.  There and now, only planned on using (high quality) ratchet straps, as I only really used the overhead as a second-line safety device or to “crab” the EV to do tranny work, not as main support or sub for a lift.  

As for my gravity and poor planning, an Atlanta friend — who also had a red Norge — borrowed my lift there for a day of maintenance in 2011.  I called him midmorning to see how things were going.  Not well.  His Norge had fallen off the lift!  Luckily, it fell off away from him.  And, as he leads a charmed life generally, I had left (by absolute chance) a moving-company’s sturdy “dishpack” filled with shop towels on the tip-over side.  Yes, upside down and a challenge to get upright, but the sum of the damage was a broken mirror! ‘Mazing.

Again, thanks to all.  

Bill

Back to top Go down
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:14 pm

What a pickle you've gotten yourself into, Bill! I can't add much to the advice you've already received, just a couple of pictures to make you jealous.

Pete

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Street
L'Innominato
L'Innominato
Street

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Oh, BTW, WTF?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]      If art is outlawed, only outlaws will make art!
Back to top Go down
https://WWW.REIQUAM.COM
Bill Hagan
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Bill Hagan

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:50 pm

^^^^^

Actually, made me wax nostalgic for my Army days..

Last time I saw something like that was a sling load under a Chinook in Desert Storm.   cheers

And, Street, your ceiling I-beams make my 2x6's seem like toothpicks.  Heck, you could probably hang a bank safe from 'em, much less a comparatively svelte GRiSO.  Wink

But, yes, that's cool.  And, annoying.  Thumbs Up

I just went down to see if the Norge was still on the lift or had decided to do a double-gainer.  Whew. Still there.

Which brings me back to the embarrassing merits of the moment.

John Wells, Guzzista and cannoneer -- yes, I love to digress; see

-- and who will be here for the Moto Grappa Tech Days extravaganza in his mess-sergeant mode, wondered if easiest (and not unsafe) answer might not to be simply to lower the forward scissors jack (under the sump) a wee bit, thus causing the front end to drop and the lift the CARC with none of the risks associated with jacking up the latter directly.

May have missed that if someone said that before, and still inclined to do a the prudent and cowardly "wait for hep," but whatchathinkum?

Bill
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Wait for help. I'd hate to see Norj get all scratchy.

Shocked

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Yeah. Wait for help.

If I had the opportunity to join in the Moto Grappa Tech days, we could have utilized the GRiSO ramp that is in the van to build a hoist Razz
Back to top Go down
sideshowbob
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
sideshowbob

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Shriner clown shoes?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheelie on My Norge!   Wheelie on My Norge! Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Wheelie on My Norge!
Page 1 of 1