GRiSO ghetto
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12425 - Established June, 2013 - all GRiSO, all the time...

HomeRegisterLog in

The garage is getting full

Go down 
+12
kiwi dave
EricS
LBC Tenni
paulbrice
NorthernProducer
Nobleswood
Oz1200Guzzi
cognosticator
GHTE
wyno
beetle
ITSecurity
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

The garage is getting full Empty
PostSubject: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Some of you know me from other forums or Guzzi get-togethers - I'm based in Las Vegas NV, I've owned Moto Guzzis for almost 15 years, and have been riding since mumble-mumble (dang, I'm getting old!). I ride every day, and don't even own a four-wheeled vehicle.

I just acquired Eric's 2012 SE 8V Tenni (factory rollers!), and it now sits beside my 2013 Stelvio (14,000 miles since September 20) and my 2008 Norge (131,000 miles since new in 2011). The idea of having three such different bikes with essentially the same drivetrain was irresistible.

Eric provided the bike to me with most of the changes I'd want to make already in place, but there are a few things I plan on doing:

• LED headlight (I'm going to try the Jeep conversion type)
  • LED turn signals (suggestions welcome, I'd like to avoid separate resistor blocks)

I snagged the Venture rack and luggage from Jerry this week; the factory and LGC racks are more attractive, but I don't like the idea of drilling the tail, and I do like the ability to remove the rack when not in use. I'm also tempted to black out the headlight chrome surround - if anyone has done this, let me know what technique you used to prep the chrome surface.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm

CARC city!

Pics please!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
https://www.griso.org
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:33 pm

beetle wrote:
CARC city!

Pics please!

Pics to come in the next day or so, I need to make 'em pretty for a portrait. The Norge is fully set up for IronButt riding, the Stelvio nearly so, and the GRiSO is going to be for around town and the occasional day or weekend ride.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi ITS, wotsya real name.

I bought a JW Speaker LED headlight (big bucks & designed for Jeep) for my Bellagio.
Very bright but really only good for straight line riding.

It has a distinct cut off line (white below, prince of darkness above) on both low and hi beam.
If you corner with any degree of flair, that line between night & day runs down the side of the bike, so you are essentially turning into a darkened void.

JW Speaker now have a version just for bikes, a series of angled bulbs light up as you lean.
I think Beetle has one, even bigger bucks than mine.

Wayne
Back to top Go down
wyno
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
wyno

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 pm

About $1200 AUD for the JW Speaker adaptive headlight. I was thinking of getting one but they cost too much.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Jeep LED $175. Good spread and great penetration.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
GHTE
Nibbio
Nibbio
GHTE

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:58 pm

I guess its decisions, decisions, decisions when you want to ride now. Congrats on establishing such a fine stable.
Back to top Go down
https://glennhilleard@gmail.com
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:38 am

beetle wrote:

I figured I'd start on the cheap side - I ordered a pair of the Amazon LED units that claimed to use OSRAM LEDs and produced more than most as far as lumens (5500 high, 3600 low). $105 USD for two units; if the one I install works well, I'll either keep the second as a spare or offer it to the gang here.

I did discover that the bike has an LED conversion bulb in the stock reflector. This is certainly a better than stock situation, but traditional parabolic reflectors are designed for a point source (filament) bulb, and don't always do a great job with an LED that places the emitters at locations that don't match the halogen design.
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:39 am

beetle wrote:

Can you point me in the right direction for this light, like a part number or a link to where I can get it, thanks
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:40 am

ghezzi wrote:

Wayne

I'm called Tony, but the screen name is pretty consistent on motorcycle forums and it's how most people on them will recognize me.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:43 am

cognosticator wrote:
beetle wrote:

Can you point me in the right direction for this light, like a part number or a link to where I can get it, thanks

The one I'm going to try is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you want to wait a week, I will know whether it works well and whether I have a spare to offer at a cheap price.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:50 am

That's the one.

Thumbs Up

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
cognosticator
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
cognosticator

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:51 am

ITSecurity wrote:
cognosticator wrote:
beetle wrote:

The one I'm going to try is at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you want to wait a week, I will know whether it works well and whether I have a spare to offer at a cheap price.

Thanks, sounds good to me, let us know what you think and post pictures :-)
Back to top Go down
https://www.pbase.com/cognosticator
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:56 am

beetle wrote:
That's the one.

Thumbs Up

BTW, Beetle - Eric told me the bike has one of your maps on it. I look forward to seeing how it feels, especially since I have John's map on the Stelvio. I'll likely throw something your way in the future...
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:06 am

Not necessary! Enjoy!

cheers

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
Oz1200Guzzi
Don Abbondio
Don Abbondio
Oz1200Guzzi

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:13 pm

ITSecurity wrote:
ghezzi wrote:

Wayne

I'm called Tony, but the screen name is pretty consistent on motorcycle forums and it's how most people on them will recognize me.

Egads! Not another one...

Welcome Brother
Back to top Go down
Nobleswood
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
Nobleswood

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:18 pm

I did discover that the bike has an LED conversion bulb in the stock reflector. This is certainly a better than stock situation, but traditional parabolic reflectors are designed for a point source (filament) bulb, and don't always do a great job with an LED that places the emitters at locations that don't match the halogen design.[/quote]

My bike had one of those in when I bought it, lights up passing low flying aircraft & all the signs on the highway from miles away Razz
But I don't ride at night much so I don't worry about it. Gets the car drivers attention !
Back to top Go down
NorthernProducer
Sfregiato
Sfregiato
NorthernProducer

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
paulbrice
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
paulbrice

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Bright lights on bikes ehhh...

Back to top Go down
LBC Tenni
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
LBC Tenni

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Congrats on the CARC trifecta ITS. I had the same plan, but my wife thinks the GRiSO and Norge are enough.scratch
My GRiSO is a Tenni too, but not a factory roller. That's a rare beast. Well done. cheers
Back to top Go down
EricS
Biondino
Biondino
EricS

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Glad you like most of the updates. I'm looking forward to seeing how you personalize the bike. I tried a couple different bulbs in the stock shell and the results were the same - set the low beam for the correct height and the high beam blinds small aircraft pilots. Point the high beam down and you on low beam you can't see past 30 feet.

I rode the V7 home in the dark today and the pattern is much better than the GRiSO. High beam is actually useful if a little a little weak.
Back to top Go down
ITSecurity
Carlotto
Carlotto

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:32 pm

paulbrice wrote:
Bright lights on bikes ehhh...

Well, when you live out the the Big Empty (most of the western US and Canada), there's a lot of space to light up and a lot of wildlife that comes out of it in the dark...
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Are the Amazon Jeep lights designed for driving/riding on the RHS of the road, the LHS, or it doesn't matter (i.e. dips straight down). I had issues with Cali 1100s imported from the USA being refused warrant of fitness in New Zealand because the dip orientated towards the centre of the road.

Incidentally, no problem with CARC models.
Back to top Go down
beetle
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
beetle

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Mine dips straight down.

In GRiSO we trust!
Back to top Go down
kiwi dave
GRiSO Capo
GRiSO Capo
kiwi dave

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:43 pm

beetle wrote:
Mine dips straight down.

Good to know. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The garage is getting full   The garage is getting full Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The garage is getting full
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next